• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Dang, I still don't understand this, but I looked at my 1 year return and it is 17.5%. Nuts.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
$LVGO continues to kill it for me. Earnings on Thursday should be interesting.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I don't know how this happened but can we spell BUBBLE. If anyone said the GDP will plummet the most ever and somehow we'll get an even bigger version of the 90's tech bubble, I might have made a John McAfee crazy bet on that one.

At least that one has some revenue growth (all the market cares about anymore) and actual products.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone else having the bad idea to cash out and sit and wait?
Not really. I’ve held most of positions for YEARS. I believe in some of the tech companies right now that are lifting the market. Our consumption of their services won’t likely pull back anytime soon.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Not really. I’ve held most of positions for YEARS. I believe in some of the tech companies right now that are lifting the market. Our consumption of their services won’t likely pull back anytime soon.

Tech companies that allow us to continue with some since of normalcy while social distancing are killing it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Tech companies that allow us to continue with some since of normalcy while social distancing are killing it.

I just think this whole deal has forced us more into the future of tech. It’s caused a lot of this country to lessen their dependency on antiquated and “analog” ways of doing things. When we’ve moved on from covid, I just don’t believe that we will cease the revenue streams for the Apples, Amazon’s, Microsoft’s and Facebooks of the world. Financials will come back strong but we will probably see them partner more and more with the above mentioned. Healthcare as well.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Anyone else having the bad idea to cash out and sit and wait?

Going to steal a Cramer saying, theres always a bull market somewhere. The problem is this could really get crazy. Because the real bubble/asset to sell are bonds. and that money has to go somewhere

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When this Covid thing gets to the point where we have a vaccine, or its gotten a control measure to it, commodities should explode. Maybe it's time for me to go back and analyze sugar. Had a buddy who was friends with a guy who worked with sugar nearly extensively. Called that last major run in it. My buddy is gone, so I have no idea who this guy is. Maybe his kid does?

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
tenor.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Of course I don't know how many shares you have but if you don't want to sell any before earnings look at buying a put to protect the downside.

It looks like you could buy a Sep $135 put for around $14. That would mean for each put (cost is 100 x 14 =$1400) you would be guaranteed to be able to sell 100 shares for $135. Probably not feasible option if you have <40-50 shares total.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Of course I don't know how many shares you have but if you don't want to sell any before earnings look at buying a put to protect the downside.

It looks like you could buy a Sep $135 put for around $14. That would mean for each put (cost is 100 x 14 =$1400) you would be guaranteed to be able to sell 100 shares for $135. Probably not feasible option if you have <40-50 shares total.
I'm in it for the long haul and am just gonna continue holding. I imagine it'll pull back at some point but it's fun to see it grow so fast even if I'm not gonna sell for potentially years down the line.

Reactions: bos

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm in it for the long haul and am just gonna continue holding. I imagine it'll pull back at some point but it's fun to see it grow so fast even if I'm not gonna sell for potentially years down the line.

Well kinda ironic but it sucks when this happens. Often times promising companies will get bought out. The day after discussing this they get bought out/merge with a larger firm. What is odd is that the market seemed to hate the merger.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Well kinda ironic but it sucks when this happens. Often times promising companies will get bought out. The day after discussing this they get bought out/merge with a larger firm. What is odd is that the market seemed to hate the merger.

Doesn't really change much for me. I'd checked out TDOC as well and had considered buying in prior to today's announcement. Gave back some ground with the price on LVGO shares today but it's still a +100%er from when I bought and am cool with it converting once the merge finalizes.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Any suggestions for beginner investors?

Finally have all other finances in order and some extra cash, looking to put half in a 5ish year plan and the rest in long term holds.

Open to suggestions on the best thing to invest in for 5 year, would it be ETF's?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Any suggestions for beginner investors?

Finally have all other finances in order and some extra cash, looking to put half in a 5ish year plan and the rest in long term holds.

Open to suggestions on the best thing to invest in for 5 year, would it be ETF's?
What's your 5 year goal, and why only 5 years? Are you saving for a house purchase or something?

I would recommend ETFs for long term/retirement investments. I like the Vanguard funds and I use the Swenson investment style:
30% - VTI
15% - VXUS
5% - VWO
20% - VNQ
25% - BND
5% - VTIP

Reactions: NATEizKING

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
What's your 5 year goal, and why only 5 years? Are you saving for a house purchase or something?

I would recommend ETFs for long term/retirement investments. I like the Vanguard funds and I use the Swenson investment style:
30% - VTI
15% - VXUS
5% - VWO
20% - VNQ
25% - BND
5% - VTIP
Planning for house upgrade in 5ish years, wife will be back at work by then, stays home with the younglings now. May or may not move to Des Moines area at some point, but housing there is 150-200% more.

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy