Positive *Informative* Covid News

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

kcbob79clone

Probably gonna get closed or nuked somehow but hey the anthem thread lasted more than 3 posts.

Some potentially big steps forward.

I likely had it in March, was positive at 3 different places for antibodies and recently was negative for antibodies so this personally intrigues me along with just being good overall.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...-estimate-patients-antibodies-past-sars-cov-2

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...aning-covid-19-immunity-are-likely-overblown/

And here we go

Lots of news, both positive and negative, can we please keep the discussion to science and math please?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Most of the talking heads, including Tony, are now 'cautiously optimistic' that we'll have at least one vaccine by the end of the year. Moved up from earlier comments that it would be 'early next year'.

Reactions: Acylum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
a9fa219747f69a37e40b3606cf17cae7.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So the anitbody testing is basically peeing money down the drain in a lot of cases. If OP articles are correct, more people have probably been infected and have immunity to it. A lot of shoulds and probablies makes it difficult.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So the anitbody testing is basically peeing money down the drain in a lot of cases. If OP articles are correct, more people have probably been infected and have immunity to it. A lot of shoulds and probablies makes it difficult.

I don't know...if someone has found out they had antibodies at some point up to now, and then there comes a time when we can know the general lingering levels, and what's needed for immunity, wasn't that helpful as a starting point? Like, for me if that becomes an option, I want to pursue knowing where my levels are and if it's indicative of immunity since I was consistently positive at one point.

I'm not sure if someone who was negative for antibodies will be as motivated to check to see if they have any at all but could be wrong.

Reactions: isutrevman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't know...if someone has found out they had antibodies at some point up to now, and then there comes a time when we can know the general lingering levels, and what's needed for immunity, wasn't that helpful as a starting point? Like, for me if that becomes an option, I want to pursue knowing where my levels are and if it's indicative of immunity since I was consistently positive at one point.

I'm not sure if someone who was negative for antibodies will be as motivated to check to see if they have any at all but could be wrong.

I guess I was looking at the tests they do now. The people I know who have taken them were told it only registers for three months. So I was believing it could be messy since the first articles said 10:1 for every positive test out there. Which means we have way more than what the serology tests are actually saying.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess I was looking at the tests they do now. The people I know who have taken them were told it only registers for three months. So I was believing it could be messy since the first articles said 10:1 for every positive test out there. Which means we have way more than what the serology tests are actually saying.

Oh, ok...we were coming from different angles.

My 3 tests were from different clinics and I figure the consistency tells me I had it but to my knowledge they were all Y/N results, not levels...but I still take the same sort of precautions for all sorts of reasons.

No doubt the amount who've had it is higher than confirmed (I saw some blurb estimating between 6 and 24X last week?) and knowing what sorts of numbers indicate immunity, and being able to have ready access to testing for that would be great imo.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I found this article exploring why a significant percentage of people have little to no symptoms with Covid: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/heal...cross-reactivity-immunity-wellness/index.html

A recently published summary article in the journal Nature Reviews Immunology put forth a tantalizing possibility: A large percentage of the population appears to have immune cells that are able to recognize parts of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and that may possibly be giving them a head start in fighting off an infection. In other words, some people may have some unknown degree of protection.
"What we found is that people that had never been exposed to SARS Cov2 ... about half of the people had some T-cell reactivity," co-author of the paper Alessandro Sette from the Center for Infectious Disease and Vaccine Research at La Jolla Institute for Immunology, told CNN.

Lots of potential implications if true, I found this interesting on potential herd immunity:
There are also implications for when we might achieve "herd immunity" -- meaning that enough of the population is immune to SARS-CoV-2, thanks either to infection or vaccination, and the virus can no longer be as easily transmitted.
"For herd immunity, if indeed we have a very large proportion of the population already being immune in one way or another, through these cellular responses, they can count towards the pool that you need to establish herd immunity. If you have 50% already in a way immune, because of these existing immune responses, then you don't need 60 to 80%, you need 10 to 30% -- you have covered the 50% already. The implications of having some pre-existing immunity suggests that maybe you need a small proportion of the population to be impacted before the epidemic wave dies out," said Dr. John Ioannidis, a professor of medicine and epidemiology and population health at Stanford University.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This seems over engineered and too slow.

It feels the mail system is the downfall of this. If the reader were available to businesses or schools, then I could see this being more effective. Let people take their samples the night before and bring them in the morning as they enter the building.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It feels the mail system is the downfall of this. If the reader were available to businesses or schools, then I could see this being more effective. Let people take their samples the night before and bring them in the morning as they enter the building.
Yeah I’m wondering if an app on a smartphone or something even

Status
Not open for further replies.