WBB: Gabby McBride entering transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wish her best of luck, hopefully she'll land somewhere that she can succeed at. That said, I'm not completely surprised by her decision.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
She obviously wasn’t ready coming in which likely would have meant redshirt. Post season meetings usually result in these types of decisions.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Wonder since she redshirted this year can she transfer without have to sit out. Sucks if she has to now sit out another year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wonder since she redshirted this year can she transfer without have to sit out. Sucks if she has to now sit out another year.

Under the NCAA proposed rules she could avoid sitting out a year. But those are just proposed. Big 10 and at least one other league support it but the rule change but Big 12 hasn't opposed or supported to the best of my knowledge. Kinda hope the NCAA makes the change.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Under the NCAA proposed rules she could avoid sitting out a year. But those are just proposed. Big 10 and at least one other league support it but the rule change but Big 12 hasn't opposed or supported to the best of my knowledge. Kinda hope the NCAA makes the change.
If that rule somehow passes and gets implemented, it will be a flippin disaster, especially for MBB. Hope like heck all of the mid/low majors vote against it so it doesn't pass. They are already ganging up against the rule as they would be the most hosed by it passing.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I never did understand why we recruited this girl. She had very underwhelming stats in high school. But to be fair, the only high school stats we ever saw from her were from her sophomore year, where she averaged just over 8 ppg and just under 8 RB per game. I don't know if she didn't play as a junior and senior or what, but try as I might, I could never find any stats for her beyond her sophomore year. I still can't find any to this day.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Wish her nothing but the best. Great young lady. Hope it all works out for her.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Wow. that's a bit of a step down. I thought she had promise based on the recruiting stuff i saw.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
She's going the juco route.

Makes sense to me and is likely a smart move. She's from Texas and has used a redshirt already. Here she can play in her home state and hopefully do well enough to attract some Div I attention for her junior year.

Good luck to her!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
She obviously wasn’t ready coming in which likely would have meant redshirt. Post season meetings usually result in these types of decisions.

Seems we've been getting a lot of those lately, the great incoming class notwithstanding. When she signed with us, I wondered what they were doing. Same with that Australian netball player, Lauren Mills. Then there was that other foreign player who signed the same year Camber signed and left after a year. Claire Rickets was a bust until her senior year when she finally contributed if only a little and because we had few other options. There are others, I just can't think of them right now.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Seems we've been getting a lot of those lately, the great incoming class notwithstanding. When she signed with us, I wondered what they were doing. Same with that Australian netball player, Lauren Mills. Then there was that other foreign player who signed the same year Camber signed and left after a year. Claire Rickets was a bust until her senior year when she finally contributed if only a little and because we had few other options. There are others, I just can't think of them right now.
Sofija Zivaljevic (NDST)
There's no doubt our recruiting classes suffered, there was CBF health concerns, uncertainty in the make-up of the Big12, and obviously the N.M. nightmare. Things seem to have turned around nicely though.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
McBride was a particularly puzzling signing. You'd think a division 1 post player would be averaging double figures in scoring or rebounding or both, but she did neither. I think, off the top of my head without looking it up, her scoring output as a senior was around 8 ppg and her rebounding was around 6 per game.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Jordan Jensen is one I thought would contribute more. You just never know until they are on campus and in practice. While the staff probably has the best feel for Iowa players and the immediately surrounding states, others may come from scouting AAU games, tips from alums, or coaching connections. Fennelly typically relies on 7 or 8 players, so everyone else gets mop-up time unless something freakish happens. If they develop into thr rotation, great, if not at least they are a practice player. At least Fennelly is pretty honest with them in year-end evaluations.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Jordan Jensen is one I thought would contribute more. You just never know until they are on campus and in practice. While the staff probably has the best feel for Iowa players and the immediately surrounding states, others may come from scouting AAU games, tips from alums, or coaching connections. Fennelly typically relies on 7 or 8 players, so everyone else gets mop-up time unless something freakish happens. If they develop into thr rotation, great, if not at least they are a practice player. At least Fennelly is pretty honest with them in year-end evaluations.

Jensen was a fav of mine because she looked to be having fun at ISU and was always smiling and looking happy. We've had years where nobody looked like they were having any fun and sometimes seemed they could just as easily have hated basketball.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I also thought she would do more for us. I still wonder if the injury she was coming back from in high school was a factor in Jordan Jensen's playing time/development.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
After a season at the juco, McBride landed at WKU.

Because she redshirted at ISU and got a free COVID year at the juco, she still has four years of eligibility left if she chooses to use them all.