Phil Steele Prediction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ve never been a fan of Phil Steele. Ever since the mag first came out. Took me a couple of years to see how much space they insist on wasting on players who aren’t around any longer, and I was done.

Now I see that Steele has picked ISU 5th in the Big XII, with TCU finishing ahead of them.

Seriously. TCU. With gaping holes all over their roster. Apparently on the sole premise that Max Duggan might be good.

When ISU doesn’t have gaping holes. And Brock Purdy is already...a little more than “good”.

Is it possible for Phil Steele to lose any more credibility?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Guess we'll just have to play the games and send the article to Freezing Cold Takes in November

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’ve never been a fan of Phil Steele. Ever since the mag first came out. Took me a couple of years to see how much space they insist on wasting on players who aren’t around any longer, and I was done.

Now I see that Steele has picked ISU 5th in the Big XII, with TCU finishing ahead of them.

Seriously. TCU. With gaping holes all over their roster. Apparently on the sole premise that Max Duggan might be good.

When ISU doesn’t have gaping holes. And Brock Purdy is already...a little more than “good”.

Didn’t Steele say he basically handed everything off and it’s just his name on a piece of paper?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know if there's anyone that is really ever that good at this type of thing.

I'd guess Pat Forde has ISU about 8th because they're traditionally bad and that matters to the present.

Reactions: Aclone

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Didn't he have TCU ahead of ISU last year also? Both disappointed given pre-season expectations...

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

I am not shocked. Steele puts a ton of emphasis on OL starts returning.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Every year people get pissed at the predictions in both MBB and CFB. But in the vast majority of the years, we come in at or below those predictions - with some clear exceptions. We might have good years by our standards, but we’re going to have to do a lot more on a consistent basis before people start taking us seriously outside our bubble.

I don’t think there is a fan base in the world of sports that doesn’t rate their own predictions at least a little higher than outsiders. It might only be 1 line higher on a list like this, but outsiders that haven’t bought into an individual school’s echo-chamber of hype will trend towards historical norms.

Don’t get upset, prove them wrong.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

To be fair, our offensive line is a gaping hole until proven otherwise.

Reactions: CyBobby

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
To be fair, our offensive line is a gaping hole until proven otherwise.

I agree with you to a point, but reality is a little different than what it looks like from the outside. Steele likely sees us losing 4 starters and that spells trouble. But, Newell was a starter all 2018. Difference between losing 4/5 and losing 3/5 is huge. Not to mention, all of zero of those starters got drafted, so it's not like we're staring at a big talent drop-off...more like an experience drop-off.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree with you to a point, but reality is a little different than what it looks like from the outside. Steele likely sees us losing 4 starters and that spells trouble. But, Newell was a starter all 2018. Difference between losing 4/5 and losing 3/5 is huge. Not to mention, all of zero of those starters got drafted, so it's not like we're staring at a big talent drop-off...more like an experience drop-off.

I'm aware of all of this.

They have to prove it. Offensive line has been a consistent liability in this program since Steve Loney left.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm aware of all of this.

They have to prove it. Offensive line has been a consistent liability in this program since Steve Loney left.

No disagreement there. And there's really no excuse. Iowa is a state that produces D1 level OLs at a higher rate than probably any other position. As much as we all give credit to this staff for their evaluation and development, it has yet to occur on the OL. I know it takes longer to develop OLs than any other position, but it's been 5 years now. Chizik and McFarland put together a better OL in 2 years than we've seen under Campbell.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Our offensive line hasn't been good. They are holding us back from Baylor 2019 type success

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Every year people get pissed at the predictions in both MBB and CFB. But in the vast majority of the years, we come in at or below those predictions - with some clear exceptions. We might have good years by our standards, but we’re going to have to do a lot more on a consistent basis before people start taking us seriously outside our bubble.

I don’t think there is a fan base in the world of sports that doesn’t rate their own predictions at least a little higher than outsiders. It might only be 1 line higher on a list like this, but outsiders that haven’t bought into an individual school’s echo-chamber of hype will trend towards historical norms.

Don’t get upset, prove them wrong.

Exception might be mbb coaches preseason poll.

We were picked 8th three years in a row and blew the expectations out if the water each time.

In football I agree we don't often overperform.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No disagreement there. And there's really no excuse. Iowa is a state that produces D1 level OLs at a higher rate than probably any other position. As much as we all give credit to this staff for their evaluation and development, it has yet to occur on the OL. I know it takes longer to develop OLs than any other position, but it's been 5 years now. Chizik and McFarland put together a better OL in 2 years than we've seen under Campbell.

The worst part of losing to NDSU was watching them maul us in the trenches all day.

Why the hell didn't we offer those kids?

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
Wait now. Hold your horses about the OL..
JG-J was FIRST TEAM ALL BIG 12. We lost A LOT.

Oh, wait. All the Big 12 O-Lines suck? Or they are just good enough to handle the Big 12 defenses that don't exist ? Why recruit a good offensive line if you don't need it?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I didn’t have a problem with our OL last year. Purdy not being unleashed to be a bigger dual threat was the biggest gripe I had on offense.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think he had a bad ankle.

True, but that’s not the OLs fault. We put up historic offensive numbers in spite of it. Our Defense taking a step back (or more likely getting caught to) was a way bigger issue last year than the OL and should probably be more of a concern this year as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn’t have a problem with our OL last year. Purdy not being unleashed to be a bigger dual threat was the biggest gripe I had on offense.

Imo he's at his best when he's mixing it up in physicality and is given the opportunity to make parts of the defenses make decisions.