Iowa State 2020 Schedule Change

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Rumor is that Pollard and David Harris (UNI's AD) have been discussing the possibility of playing this year. That's all I know. Nothing confirmed as the situation is fluid.
Pollard and Harris are very, very tight.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't think that they can realistically stop tailgating. You can't just have 30k people show up at kickoff. I have no doubt that they will reduce tailgating time by opening the lots later than normal. But, it still has to be 2-3 hours prior to get everyone into the lots or traffic is going to be a nightmare. And they still likely have to let RVs into the lots the night before.

I could see them also requiring a game ticket to be allowed into the lots, which would drastically cut down on the number of people tailgating.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I’m fine playing uni in Ames whenever. I take issue if Jamie pays them money to do so.

I’d rather set up a home/home with some MAC school that doesn’t demand payment to fund their athletic department as UNI does.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’m fine playing uni in Ames whenever. I take issue if Jamie pays them money to do so.

I’d rather set up a home/home with some MAC school that doesn’t demand payment to fund their athletic department as UNI does.

So, you'd give up the revenue of a home game to not have to pay UNI? You realize that playing on the road and losing that gate costs probably 2 1/2 times what it costs to pay UNI, right? That's before we even talk about the six figure bill to get a team to that MAC school and house and feed them for the weekend.

I assume you were very upset about paying ULM $900k because it helped fund their athletic department. How upset are you that you are paying $400k to USD that will certainly fund their athletic department?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
So, you'd give up the revenue of a home game to not have to pay UNI? You realize that playing on the road and losing that gate costs probably 2 1/2 times what it costs to pay UNI, right? That's before we even talk about the six figure bill to get a team to that MAC school and house and feed them for the weekend.

I assume you were very upset about paying ULM $900k because it helped fund their athletic department. How upset are you that you are paying $400k to USD that will certainly fund their athletic department?

Both ulm and usd games were scheduled before Covid so using that as a comparison to what uni is demanding right now is not the same when ISU is already on the hook to pay USD and UNLV in 2020.

I’ve never enjoyed playing UNI with their panther hok fans that will be back in kinnick or JTS in week 2 in black and gold

why do uni, and their fans, feel it’s Iowa or Iowa States duty to help them fund their athletic department on a yearly basis?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Both ulm and usd games were scheduled before Covid so using that as a comparison to what uni is demanding right now is not the same when ISU is already on the hook to pay USD and UNLV in 2020.

I’ve never enjoyed playing UNI with their panther hok fans that will be back in kinnick or JTS in week 2 in black and gold

why do uni, and their fans, feel it’s Iowa or Iowa States duty to help them fund their athletic department on a yearly basis?

It's not Iowa and Iowa State's job to fund UNI. UNI provides Iowa and Iowa State with a game at the same market price that they are paid to play elsewhere. If you're paying somebody to play anyway, why not keep it in state when chances are very good that you're going to sell more tickets for UNI than you would for any other FCS team that you could host?

Can you come up with a cool nickname for me? I hate the Hawks as much as you do and hit 2 or 3 games in Ames each year when the schedule works? Am I a PantherClone or a Cyther? I just want to have the right terminology...

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It's not Iowa and Iowa State's job to fund UNI. UNI provides Iowa and Iowa State with a game at the same market price that they are paid to play elsewhere. If you're paying somebody to play anyway, why not keep it in state when chances are very good that you're going to sell more tickets for UNI than you would for any other FCS team that you could host?

Can you come up with a cool nickname for me? I hate the Hawks as much as you do and hit 2 or 3 games in Ames each year when the schedule works? Am I a PantherClone or a Cyther? I just want to have the right terminology...
I believe you. I have a couple friends that are former players for Farley that hate Iowa. But it’s undeniable that the vast majority of Panther fans are hawks and that’s just not ever going to work. I give you exhibit A I saw just last week.
upload_2020-7-27_12-18-59.jpeg

Also, we almost NEVER play UNI well for whatever reason and they are going to be even better than normal. I want no part of that game.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

I disagree with the in state ticket sales argument. Under normal circumstances, would there be any less fans in JTS week 1 playing South Dakota than if they were playing UNI? I say no. If anything, playing UNI lessens the number of ISU fans in the stadium.

a panther - cyclone fan is quite rare. Only thing rarer would be a bulldog - cyclone.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
You just know Pollard is scheduling UNI, and I hate it. Playing UNI is about the dumbest thing we can do because we know it’s their super bowl. Especially in this environment weird things will happen and I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost to UNI

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I disagree with the in state ticket sales argument. Under normal circumstances, would there be any less fans in JTS week 1 playing South Dakota than if they were playing UNI? I say no. If anything, playing UNI lessens the number of ISU fans in the stadium.

a panther - cyclone fan is quite rare. Only thing rarer would be a bulldog - cyclone.
I don't think it matters this year...away teams are going to get minimal if not zero tickets. No way Pollard tells donors that no, you can't get in because we have to give up 500 tickets (made up) to UNI fans. We are already limited on seats if we stay at the lower number.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
You just know Pollard is scheduling UNI, and I hate it. Playing UNI is about the dumbest thing we can do because we know it’s their super bowl. Especially in this environment weird things will happen and I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost to UNI

Just imagine if Purdy didn't jump on that fumble...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We're either going to kill UNI, or we're going to lose in a heart breaking fashion like we probably / maybe should've last year. There is no in between.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
tenor.gif

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm out of touch with the quality of local FCS programs.. with that in mind, I'd rather schedule Western Illinois again and hand them a 56-0 beat down in week 0 than play UNI and end up in another bloody dog fight.

More than anything, I'm just tired of playing UNI

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We already have contingent tailgate plans in place if they don't allow fans in the stands. Every home game we will tailgate at one of our groups homes. Canopies must go up but can you power from your house instead of a generator.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We already have contingent tailgate plans in place if they don't allow fans in the stands. Every home game we will tailgate at one of our groups homes. Canopies must go up but can you power from your house instead of a generator.

We are thinking about the same thing, but I keep wondering do I really want to make the 2.5 hour trip to Ames to tailgate, when I could sleep in and just watch the game from home?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
These "I dont want to play UNI" comments are exactly what ISU fans used to give Iowa fans crap for saying from about 2000 on.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I could see them also requiring a game ticket to be allowed into the lots, which would drastically cut down on the number of people tailgating.

How would that work? Put up a wall around the lots to prevent us that park elsewhere from entering the lots?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
These "I dont want to play UNI" comments are exactly what ISU fans used to give Iowa fans crap for saying from about 2000 on.
It's a little bit different considering UNI is FCS and we don't have a contract to play them every year. I'm fine with playing UNI every other year, however in a year where we aren't playing Iowa and we literally just played UNI a year ago, it'd be nice to schedule someone different.

Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron