Iowa State 2020 Schedule Change

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I think Iowa State's games not shown on network television (Fox or ESPN) are now the property of ESPN+.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would not be surprised if the Big 12 is eventually going to cave in and go conference games only but if we do have to fill a date here is a crazy idea...

The Iowa game was going to be a road game so is there P5 school that needs to fill that date that would pay us to come play them on their home field? Ace had Auburn on the list. With the revenue being lost due to this virus why not just let someone pay us to come play them on their home field? Doubt it would be a huge payout but at this point every dollar you can bring in helps.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I would agree the question is mute at this point about ISU replacing Iowa on our schedule.

If you look at this from a player & fan safety perspective, the ISU and UNI games are the safest games on the Hawks schedule from a Covid spread perspective.

I will be curious if coaches don't approach some games as same day travel, especially for afternoon/evening games.

The general consensus has been games with less travel/distance are safer for the players. Is that really the case? Is a bus trip safer than a chartered flight (assuming they’re can get a chartered flight with direct pick up and drop off essentially on the tarmac and not have to go through an airport)? I don’t know the answer or how the team travels.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I would agree the question is mute at this point about ISU replacing Iowa on our schedule.

If you look at this from a player & fan safety perspective, the ISU and UNI games are the safest games on the Hawks schedule from a Covid spread perspective.

I will be curious if coaches don't approach some games as same day travel, especially for afternoon/evening games.
Have to ponder your statement. Since Iowa is one of the worst states in the country (now on White House red list) not sure gathering a bunch of Iowans together is safer than someone from states more in control. But, travel is better and most may not need to stay overnight. Hard to say.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The general consensus has been games with less travel/distance are safer for the players. Is that really the case? Is a bus trip safer than a chartered flight (assuming they’re can get a chartered flight with direct pick up and drop off essentially on the tarmac and not have to go through an airport)? I don’t know the answer or how the team travels.

Simple: everyone just drives themselves to their own games.

*this is a joke.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Common sense would say shorter is better.

With ISU or UNI going to Iowa City it would be at most a 2 hour bus ride. In these times, it would be safer to travel same day and not stay in hotel. Leave campus 5-6 hours before kick-off.

Even with a mid-range flight a team is going from bus to plane to bus. Most likely they will leave the day before in case there are flight delays due to weather or mechanical issues- so add a hotel stay.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Teams are starting to announce replacement games...Kansas just moved up to a 29 August start by replacing New Hampshire with another (Southern Illinois if I recall). Obviously we are looking for a team to slot into the open Iowa date...will be interesting to see who it is. I anticipate a MAC team like Chris mentioned last week.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Just a honest question or thought on scheduling UNI if it was a possibility. If we could or did but we’ve all that we’re able to already paid for season tickets this would be adding a home game and the cost of paying UNI to come play us but we had to have a one year athletic department financial cut is it realistic to say we would be able to afford to add this game and would they ask the season ticket holders to pay for the additional game added for this season ?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Rumor is that Pollard and David Harris (UNI's AD) have been discussing the possibility of playing this year. That's all I know. Nothing confirmed as the situation is fluid.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just saw West Virginia had 28 players test positive. I doubt football happens.

I tend to think they will try to have a season, but look at MLB, they are already cancelling games because of the virus and they just started playing over the weekend for most teams.
Its going to be hard for any league to keep every team healthy, and until a rule is passed that only the infected player has to sit out, I just do not see this working for very long.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Finally 8 home games! Wait, we cant tailgate can we?

I don't think that they can realistically stop tailgating. You can't just have 30k people show up at kickoff. I have no doubt that they will reduce tailgating time by opening the lots later than normal. But, it still has to be 2-3 hours prior to get everyone into the lots or traffic is going to be a nightmare. And they still likely have to let RVs into the lots the night before.

Reactions: 2020cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron