Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agree mostly but I'd like some connection to what we know or at least during the same general timeline as the Skywalker saga. I'm not excited at all about the High Republic stuff coming out.

I get that. I think Mando does a good job. But I don't need to see anything else about Lando even though Glover is great.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Switching gears slightly, but has anybody noticed the constantly evolving sentiment around all of the Star Wars movies over time? Anyway, here is my general perceptions of what I've seen from the fan base lately:

Original Trilogy - Always beloved and don't ever see that changing

Prequels - Started mixed, which then switched to hated and panned, only to slowly start to become appreciated and even loved by quite a growing segment of the fan base, if not even the majority of them now

Sequel Trilogy - Started mixed to beloved, only to grow in its polarization of individuals films, which has since led to the overall average sentiment of the trilogy nosediving

Rogue One - Originally really liked, but has grown in its appreciation and love to the point where it might now rank on average as the fan base's favorite new age Star Wars movie

Solo - Originally mixed to somewhat panned, only to experience a recent surge in appreciation to the point where I'd say the majority are growing fond of the movie

Please feel free to agree or disagree on any of these. I'd love to hear other's thoughts. I'll be the first to also admit my own sentiment has swayed with the general tides as well, although not exact.

Reactions: 3GenClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Biggest swing is Solo, agree there wholeheartedly. People actively just didn't want to like it, but it's a good heist movie with some of the best lines in SW and some pretty dang good performances. Make Solo 2 happen.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Biggest swing is Solo, agree there wholeheartedly. People actively just didn't want to like it, but it's a good heist movie with some of the best lines in SW and some pretty dang good performances. Make Solo 2 happen.

I think solo was hurt by the bad publicity during shorting. I would love to see more from after the movie with earth maul working in the background but never making contact with solo. Also be nice to see how death mail lost his position in the criminal syndicates.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
When Solo came out I was burned out on the The Last Jedi only a few months prior. If it had came out I that Christmas I would have seen it and loved it. I'm not sure why it didn't come out in December as there were no big Marvel movies that holiday season. I really would like to see Donald Glover as Lando again and more of Darth Maul on the big screen.

The only thing I don't like is the Kessler run. It was a little to cute for me. I wanted pod racing 2.0.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Switching gears slightly, but has anybody noticed the constantly evolving sentiment around all of the Star Wars movies over time? Anyway, here is my general perceptions of what I've seen from the fan base lately:

Prequels - Started mixed, which then switched to hated and panned, only to slowly start to become appreciated and even loved by quite a growing segment of the fan base, if not even the majority of them now

Sequel Trilogy - Started mixed to beloved, only to grow in its polarization of individuals films, which has since led to the overall average sentiment of the trilogy nosediving

Rogue One - Originally really liked, but has grown in its appreciation and love to the point where it might now rank on average as the fan base's favorite new age Star Wars movie

Solo - Originally mixed to somewhat panned, only to experience a recent surge in appreciation to the point where I'd say the majority are growing fond of the movie

Please feel free to agree or disagree on any of these. I'd love to hear other's thoughts. I'll be the first to also admit my own sentiment has swayed with the general tides as well, although not exact.

I’m with you with the exception of the Prequels. I don’t think a majority of the fans have come to love them. Maybe some nostalgia appreciation by fans who were kids at the time they came out, but lordy, Hayden Christensen is un-watch-able.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I’m with you with the exception of the Prequels. I don’t think a majority of the fans have come to love them. Maybe some nostalgia appreciation by fans who were kids at the time they came out, but lordy, Hayden Christensen is un-watch-able.

Funny enough, I rewatched the prequels months ago with my son, and the worst thing out of The Phantom Menace wasn't actually Jar Jar, which I believed for years, but rather Jake Lloyd's Anakin. He ruined every scene pretty much.

I think people are coming around on the prequels more due to their love of The Clone Wars show.

Reactions: Lexclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Funny enough, I rewatched the prequels months ago with my son, and the worst thing out of The Phantom Menace wasn't actually Jar Jar, which I believed for years, but rather Jake Lloyd's Anakin. He ruined every scene pretty much.

I think people are coming around on the prequels more due to their love of The Clone Wars show.

Yeah I like the Clome Wars so much it puts a little shine on the prequels but I still think they aren’t good.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
When Solo came out I was burned out on the The Last Jedi only a few months prior. If it had came out I that Christmas I would have seen it and loved it. I'm not sure why it didn't come out in December as there were no big Marvel movies that holiday season. I really would like to see Donald Glover as Lando again and more of Darth Maul on the big screen.

The only thing I don't like is the Kessler run. It was a little to cute for me. I wanted pod racing 2.0.

Getting pod racing 2.0 was doomed whenever "parsec" became defined as a unit of distance as opposed to time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure why it didn't come out in December as there were no big Marvel movies that holiday season.
They didn't want it to get in the way of Mary Poppins, I sh!t you not.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They didn't want it to get in the way of Mary Poppins, I sh!t you not.

I thought I read they wanted to bring the movies back to May because that’s when they historically came out. I think when the new movies started coming out, some people were very vocal about the movies not coming out in May. I even think the Collider people were upset at first the movies weren’t coming out in May too.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Latest rumor is that there could be as many as 3 different The Mandalorian spinoff series
The article states an Ahsoka show and Boba Fett show are a given. I agree with Ahsoka, but don't agree at all about Boba Fett. They are already doing a Mandalorian show and a "clone" show with Bad Batch. Doing a Boba Fett show would be total overkill.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

OT: loved them

Prequels: grew up with them. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars film. While the dialogue can be bad at time. I think the PT has the best world building and lore out of everything. Plus prequel memes are gold and always funny.

sequels: not a fan, mostly because I think the story has Way too many plot holes and recons. Plus abrams and johnson didn’t like each other’s stories and pretty much try to change the plot without consulting each other. Plus it spits in the face of the whole prophecy of the chosen one. lastly, Disney demand way too many reshoots and folded to the pressure of China in preventing Finn from ending up with Rey.

rogue one: amazing, loved the non jedi and more gritty feel to Star Wars. Wish we get more movies like this.

Solo: unlike most I liked this film. Plus my favorite character Maul makes an appearance. Please Disney give us a maul movie.

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ugh, don’t. That’s how we’re going to end up with a show about Mara Jade.

that’s the opposite of what I want. I want new characters, not retreads especially with a whole series out of it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Lots of new rumored details about the upcoming Obi-Wan series. Apparently, we will see Hayden Christensen back in the role, as well as Commander Cody and his 212th Clone Batallion. This by far is my most anticipated Star Wars anything coming up. Not only is Ewan as Obi-Wan maybe my all-time favorite Star Wars character, but combine that with the fact that Deborah Chow is directing the whole thing, I just can't wait. If all this news is true, things are only getting better. For those who don't know Deborah Chow, just watch The Mandalorian S1 and pick your three favorite episodes thereafter. Then, look at who directed them and I'd be shocked if her two episodes she did were not both on your list. Also if you watch her in the making of The Mandalorian series Disney+ put out, she just seems great and gives you confidence she knows exactly what she is doing.