Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Who cares, Chief Zee obviously didn’t, he capitalized and made money. Welcome to the PC culture, more name changes will occur from here.
Yep. Kansas city and Cleveland are up next. Chicago's NHL franchise soon to follow

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Rumor has it that the NE Patriots may be the next one up on the chopping block. It sounds like they will just cut off the P-A-T and shorten it to the NE Riots. That would be an INCREDIBLY fitting name : has its roots in 1770, and is also applicable in today's society!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Rumor has it that the NE Patriots may be the next one up on the chopping block. It sounds like they will just cut off the P-A-T and shorten it to the NE Riots. That would be an INCREDIBLY fitting name : has its roots in 1770, and is also applicable in today's society!
Not gonna lie, the NE Riot would be an awesome name.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
So are the people trying to pin this on cancel culture unaware that groups of Native Americans have been going around pushing to have names like this changed at various levels for years? My high school changed from the Redskins in the early 00s and I know we weren't the only ones. Yet I keep hearing and reading comments from people claiming that Native Americans aren't really offended it's just people looking for something to be offended about.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Not gonna lie, the NE Riot would be an awesome name.
I think it would be awesome as well - even though I was posting it for comedic effect. Maybe I should patent the name so I can financially benefit if the change ever did occur.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it would be awesome as well - even though I was posting it for comedic effect. Maybe I should patent the name so I can financially benefit if the change ever did occur.
Lol that's what some guy did for this Redskins debacle. He trademarked like 50 different names the Redskins could use so they would have to buy the name from him.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
And people rated my post dumb...

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
And people rated my post dumb...
Yeah, I find it is difficult today to be able to strike a balance between being sarcastic / funny / joking / simply stating an opinion and causing offense / crossing the line. This is especially true on a message board where context and further explanation is hard to flesh out. BTW, if someone thought my original post (or any of my posts) was "dumb" more power to them to rate it that way. (Oops, probably just invited a deluge of dumb ratings to come my way). :)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So, super dumb name but it sounds like they're going to just go with numbers on the helmets instead of a logo, and that's always a win in my book. So I guess that makes the score 1 to 357,873 in the "good decisions"vs."bad decisions" race. washington-football-team-uniform-mockup-1.jpg

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, I find it is difficult today to be able to strike a balance between being sarcastic / funny / joking / simply stating an opinion and causing offense / crossing the line. This is especially true on a message board where context and further explanation is hard to flesh out. BTW, if someone thought my original post (or any of my posts) was "dumb" more power to them to rate it that way. (Oops, probably just invited a deluge of dumb ratings to come my way). :)
No people like you. You're good

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Dallas "Cowboys" clearly celebrates toxic masculinity and genocide.
Actually the names for guys who tended cattle on the range were often "drovers" or "vaqueros". "Cowboys" started as a derogatory nickname indicating that they weren't real men (often the newest drovers on a drive were extremely young) or, worse yet, meant to insinuate what lonely drovers could be imagined to be doing with their livestock when no one was looking. Somehow the derogatory name is the one that stuck.

As far as genocide goes, it is estimated that as many as 1/3 of drovers/vaqueros in the west were black or Mexican.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Actually the names for guys who tended cattle on the range were often "drovers" or "vaqueros". "Cowboys" started as a derogatory nickname indicating that they weren't real men (often the newest drovers on a drive were extremely young) or, worse yet, meant to insinuate what lonely drovers could be imagined to be doing with their livestock when no one was looking. Somehow the derogatory name is the one that stuck.

As far as genocide goes, it is estimated that as many as 1/3 of drovers/vaqueros in the west were black or Mexican.

Get your facts and logic out of here. :p

Reactions: VeloClone