WVU loses D'coordinator ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
West Virginia and defensive coordinator Vic Koenning have mutually agreed to separate, the school announced Wednesday, a month after it began an investigation into allegations of Koenning's mistreatment of players.

Safety Kerry Martin Jr. detailed the mistreatment that he received from Koenning in a social media post June 23, alleging that Koenning called him "********" during a team workout earlier that month and has made inappropriate comments about religion, politics and the recent protests against racism and police brutality.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...virginia-d-coordinator-vic-koenning-part-ways

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This story got zero coverage. Honestly the first I heard about it today. Good for WVU for cutting ties.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The round robin/play twice in bball deal has gotten me used to WV being in the B12. If ISU played them every 2-3 years or whatever I'd basically forget they were in the conference.

Glad they acted on this.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Unless it's curling, how can you coach a sport and be a racist. Most of the players in all sports are minorities. Never understood that at all.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Unless it's curling, how can you coach a sport and be a racist. Most of the players in all sports are minorities. Never understood that at all.
Seeing players as a means to and end.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Many if not most people are racist even if they don't think so or don't directly treat others poorly or in derogatory manner, or even if they don't think they treat people differently.

It's a learned bias type thing even if their actions are well intended that has all sorts of roots.

Sounds like this guy was going with the direct derogatory mode which is more common than many want to consider.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Many if not most people are racist even if they don't think so or don't directly treat others poorly or in derogatory manner, or even if they don't think they treat people differently.

It's a learned bias type thing even if their actions are well intended that has all sorts of roots.

Sounds like this guy was going with the direct derogatory mode which is more common than many want to consider.

That's a dumb statement. People are not racist who don't do and say racist things.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Agree....everyone has bias, etc.

BUT, also have to look at yourself, look for areas of growth and work on yourself. AND, if you are in certain positions know that you HAVE to know better and do better on a quicker timeline.

We are in a weird time now where while we acknowledge what I said, we (all of us, society, etc) also desperately want to defend actions.

Many of us had coaches, parents, etc. that may have done/said things we can now say helped us (confirmation bias), but also have to frame those things in current times and also be ok saying some of those probably were not ok.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's a dumb statement. People are not racist who don't do and say racist things.

I'd recommend reading a bit more on the subject.

I'll just leave it as I disagree (and it's incorrect) and the lack of people understanding or aknowledging that bias exists is what creates many of the situations we have today.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree....everyone has bias, etc.

BUT, also have to look at yourself, look for areas of growth and work on yourself. AND, if you are in certain positions know that you HAVE to know better and do better on a quicker timeline.

We are in a weird time now where while we acknowledge what I said, we (all of us, society, etc) also desperately want to defend actions.

Many of us had coaches, parents, etc. that may have done/said things we can now say helped us (confirmation bias), but also have to frame those things in current times and also be ok saying some of those probably were not ok.

Among other things, what gets me in a lot of this is the 'well people used to talk like that back when I played and it wasn't a problem' when they have no idea if it was a problem for those that it was directed toward, and it definitely doesn't make it OK at any time.

And for all the stories like this one, there's all sorts of Central Park Amys out there that play the 'I'm not racist, see?' when their true bias comes roaring out in the moment.

Same goes for the person that sees someone, and instead of talking to them about what they individually might like, they assume something else based on how they look, to find commonalities, when it's just their assumption, and they'd not do the same thing to other people.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

I'll just leave it as I disagree (and it's incorrect) and the lack of people understanding or aknowledging that bias exists is what creates many of the situations we have today.

what is your point though? should people's thoughts be policed?

Racist actions are what need to be controlled and dealt with. Saying people have racist thoughts doesn't solve anything

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I've always said everyone is prejudice. As it's basically human nature to make assumptions. Saying everyone is racist takes it to another level.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
what is your point though? should people's thoughts be policed?

Racist actions are what need to be controlled and dealt with. Saying people have racist thoughts doesn't solve anything

Who said anything about policing?

The thoughts/bias comes into play in all sorts of different ways that lead to people being treated differently than their peers and it's based on preconceived notions.

The issue with the term 'racism' is people act like it only comes out with negative intentions.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Lots of virtue signaling here. I'm ashamed to be with such perfection.

Coaches are learning quickly that our culture has changed dramatically over the past decade and social media is unrelenting in that regard. This guy's career is probably over for doing things that were completely acceptable but a few years ago.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Who said anything about policing?

The thoughts/bias comes into play in all sorts of different ways that lead to people being treated differently than their peers and it's based on preconceived notions.

The issue with the term 'racism' is people act like it only comes out with negative intentions.

I've heard this take before and I've never fully understood it.

Yes, actions stem from thought. Every action starts with a thought-- not just the racist ones.

The point is we are concerned with the actions. It's moot to discuss what thoughts people have.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Is there more to the story? From what I read this seems like a teachable/growth moment but instead they just cancelled him.