Big XII expansion article

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
How can they allow someone to write this that thinks Houston could renew old SWC rivalries with OU & Okie Lite?

https://saturdayblitz.com/2020/07/13/big-12-football-which-schools-should-be-added/4/

Nice fantasy article. Colorado and Nebby have too much pride to come back. Colorado may come back for the bucks, however Nebby will be making more in the Big 10, so they aren't coming back. Houston has an issue of already in Texas with three other schools and would be elevating another seat at the big boy table.

Plus, who knows what's going to happen this and next year with the pandemic ongoing and large gatherings might not be happening, so expansion would most likely be off the table.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Nice fantasy article. Colorado and Nebby have too much pride to come back. Colorado may come back for the bucks, however Nebby will be making more in the Big 10, so they aren't coming back. Houston has an issue of already in Texas with three other schools and would be elevating another seat at the big boy table.

Plus, who knows what's going to happen this and next year with the pandemic ongoing and large gatherings might not be happening, so expansion would most likely be off the table.

Colorado May be high and not know they rejoined or changed conferences. Do put anything past them.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

You kinda missed the point.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The last thing the conference needs is a 5th Texas team, especially one in Houston that has trouble drawing fans for anyone that is not a top 20 team.

I would rather have the G5 Florida teams than Houston, at least it would be a fun place to take in the game, Houston, nope.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

isu5000

Sep 14, 2012
Fansided always puts out these stupid expansion lists during the off season. Houston is a pointless add. I would take Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, Boise State, or BYU if we had to add G5 schools over Houston.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Fansided always puts out these stupid expansion lists during the off season. Houston is a pointless add. I would take Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, Boise State, or BYU if we had to add G5 schools over Houston.

I just don't understand they let someone so incompetent write these. OU/OSU are old SWC rivals of Houston???

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
The last thing the conference needs is a 5th Texas team, especially one in Houston that has trouble drawing fans for anyone that is not a top 20 team.

I would rather have the G5 Florida teams than Houston, at least it would be a fun place to take in the game, Houston, nope.

Fans traveling to away games have almost zero to do with expansion. Houston would probably do well ratings wise in the Big 12 and much more than UCF/USF due to the proximity of the other Big 12 teams. UH would do well ratings wise against all of the Texahoma teams and I tend to think all of the Texahoma games even not involving UH would do better due to having a Big 12 team in the city and those are local/regional conference games then.

I'm not saying to add Houston now because I think the PAC 12 schools could have some decisions to make at the next contract period. I do think any PAC 12 expansion isn't worth it without one of the two southern California schools. I do think UH would get better ratings than Colorado, ASU, AZ & Utah though.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I know it’s a pipe dream, but maybe not a bad time to try to sway Norte Dame to join. They are likely to take quite a hit this year.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I just don't understand they let someone so incompetent write these. OU/OSU are old SWC rivals of Houston???

Maybe he's talking about pre 1920's. You know, the glory days of SWC Football. Who could forget those rivalries?

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I still say go for broke and bring back Mizzou. Try to pull Arkansas with them. If WVU wants to take that opportunity to leave, let them go without penalty. Once WVU leaves, then we can look to invite Colorado, and maybe BYU with them. Keep it to 2 time zones and maintain geographic continuity.

Reactions: Cycho1 and TheSammo

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
100% click bait article. Offers nothing new that hasn't already been discussed YEARS ago.

For what its worth, I doubt you ever see another team from Texas added to the Big 12, unless that school is A&M. And we all know aggie isn't moving back.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Fans traveling to away games have almost zero to do with expansion. Houston would probably do well ratings wise in the Big 12 and much more than UCF/USF due to the proximity of the other Big 12 teams. UH would do well ratings wise against all of the Texahoma teams and I tend to think all of the Texahoma games even not involving UH would do better due to having a Big 12 team in the city and those are local/regional conference games then.

I'm not saying to add Houston now because I think the PAC 12 schools could have some decisions to make at the next contract period. I do think any PAC 12 expansion isn't worth it without one of the two southern California schools. I do think UH would get better ratings than Colorado, ASU, AZ & Utah though.

How does it help ISU to have UH in the conference? That is the only question that matters. It hurts us in recruiting players from Texas, now if we are neck and neck with a player that is also looking at UH, we can tell the kid, we are a P5 school, and you will get to play Texas and OU, we lose that if we allow them in the conference.

Houston's own president said a couple of years ago that the school cannot continue its current rate of support of the athletic programs when they are running deficits at a rate of 25 to 30 million a year.
Talk to other Big 12 Texas teams fan bases and they loath UH, and do not want them in the conference.

Houston is a pro sports town and the Cougars are a distant third behind the Astros and the Texans. Sure they can draw 50,000 for OU and UT, but how many people are they drawing for KU, ISU and KSU? How many ISU fans are just dreaming about road tripping to Houston for the weekend? Few is any, just like few of us go to TT. Baylor you can do Dallas and run down for the game, Austin is great, TCU is in Fort Worth, no one wants to go to Houston. Now Florida, that is different, we need to expand the footprint if we expand at all, and adding another team from Texas does not do that.

Reactions: TheSammo

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
How does it help ISU to have UH in the conference? That is the only question that matters. It hurts us in recruiting players from Texas, now if we are neck and neck with a player that is also looking at UH, we can tell the kid, we are a P5 school, and you will get to play Texas and OU, we lose that if we allow them in the conference.

Houston's own president said a couple of years ago that the school cannot continue its current rate of support of the athletic programs when they are running deficits at a rate of 25 to 30 million a year.
Talk to other Big 12 Texas teams fan bases and they loath UH, and do not want them in the conference.

Houston is a pro sports town and the Cougars are a distant third behind the Astros and the Texans. Sure they can draw 50,000 for OU and UT, but how many people are they drawing for KU, ISU and KSU? How many ISU fans are just dreaming about road tripping to Houston for the weekend? Few is any, just like few of us go to TT. Baylor you can do Dallas and run down for the game, Austin is great, TCU is in Fort Worth, no one wants to go to Houston. Now Florida, that is different, we need to expand the footprint if we expand at all, and adding another team from Texas does not do that.

I wasn't approaching it from ISU specific. I was approaching strictly from ratings and tv revenue. Last year was an anomaly because Houston had such a bad record but they have done quite well the previous years. Houston still watches college football but its been taken over by the SEC ratings wise. The Big 12 has not done the best recruiting wise in Houston since A&M went to the SEC also. No ISU wouldn't get the cream of the crop in Houston but the league would be better overall with those recruits. If you go into Tampa/Orlando with UCF/USF you are going to be second fiddle to Florida & FSU.

I do think OU is opposed to UH in the league so that is a very high bar for UH to get over anyway.

In the end, no expansion meets the hurdle of raising the average tv revenue for all partners unless its USC or UCLA. Maybe a geographical expansion of Arkansas and/or Nebraska but thats not probably happening either. Unless the playoffs required leagues to be 12 or more for playoffs for some reason I don't see the Big 12 making any additions unless USC wants to wander. USC would be strong enough to build around to bring a few teams with, maybe UCLA without USC due to the LA market.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I do think OU is opposed to UH in the league so that is a very high bar for UH to get over anyway.

Gee, I wonder why?
GDRRQ7GGP5FDPOA77SOLEKGTLU.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think any non-Texas based school would veto Houston because it would be just another competitor for high school talent there. I would trade Baylor for Houston though but not TCU.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I know it’s a pipe dream, but maybe not a bad time to try to sway Norte Dame to join. They are likely to take quite a hit this year.

They are probably going to get more than 5 ACC games(possibly 10), and keep Navy. I'd forget about them joining the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron