Big XII expansion article

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
If the B12 ever expands, I don't see us trying to flip someone from another P5. I would take Cincy and another G5 team that has the facilities and academics to move up. Ive thrown out Colorado State but that doesn't seem like a popular choice.
They already looked into adding G5 teams a year or so ago. There's no money in it. Never going to happen.

Reactions: IceCyIce

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Hey- you just said, “lower tier.” I thought Rutgers & Maryland qualified.

I said lower level. Let's pretend both of those programs were G5. Are the Big 10 and Big 12 tv models the same?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
As soon as I saw the line “Houston renewing SWC rivalries with OU and OSU” I didn’t bother. Wikipedia could have fact checked that for them.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Hey- you just said, “lower tier.” I thought Rutgers & Maryland qualified.

Expansion isn't about expanding good or bad football programs.

Expansion is about adding football programs that keep the same or increase Iowa State's annual media rights as part of the Big12 package.

That amount is around $40-$45M annually to ISU. Why would the Big12 add Houston, Cincinnati, Colorado State or even Arizona if those schools reduce ISU's payout?

The reality is there is not a G5 school that can bring in incremental annual media rights to ISU. If there was the ACC or Pac12 would be interested in adding them as well, since their per school payouts are lower than the Big12.

The only school that might to it (Other than Notre Dame) is BYU.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Expansion isn't about expanding good or bad football programs.

Expansion is about adding football programs that keep the same or increase Iowa State's annual media rights as part of the Big12 package.

That amount is around $40-$45M annually to ISU. Why would the Big12 add Houston, Cincinnati, Colorado State or even Arizona if those schools reduce ISU's payout?

The reality is there is not a G5 school that can bring in incremental annual media rights to ISU. If there was the ACC or Pac12 would be interested in adding them as well, since their per school payouts are lower than the Big12.

The only school that might to it (Other than Notre Dame) is BYU.

And BYU probably doesn't even do it. Or it would have happened already.

You ever want to expand the Big 12, you are going to need to poach another Power 5 to do it.

I think there's a better chance in the next 20 years that conferences reduce size, than continue growing. Or that the NCAA gets side stepped and conferences for FBS football disappear altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think there's a better chance in the next 20 years that conferences reduce size, than continue growing. Or that the NCAA gets side stepped and conferences for FBS football disappear altogether.

Interesting. Suppose the B1G kicked Rutgers and Maryland out. They would lose some inventory (9 games, 14% of games) but would their TV deals go down by 14%? I suppose it depends on all those cable subscriptions in NY/NJ carrying B1G network. But if they thought the revenue would not drop (much), they would be better off from a per-team revenue perspective. Less travel and other headaches too on the cost side. It's possible.

The math is probably easier for the SEC, since the network is less of a thing, and the TV revenue would probably not even go down. Maybe they would boot Mizzou and Arky.

If stuff like this started gaining momentum, I think you would see some kind of P5 rationalization outside the NCAA, on conferences combined with the CFP. Create a 6th conference and move a team or 2 from each P5, add a couple of G5s to round it out. Maybe six 12 team conferences, then pick the champs and 2 at-larges for an expanded CFP. I think there would be more money in that compared to now, so its theoretically possible.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Interesting. Suppose the B1G kicked Rutgers and Maryland out. They would lose some inventory (9 games, 14% of games) but would their TV deals go down by 14%? I suppose it depends on all those cable subscriptions in NY/NJ carrying B1G network. But if they thought the revenue would not drop (much), they would be better off from a per-team revenue perspective. Less travel and other headaches too on the cost side. It's possible.

The math is probably easier for the SEC, since the network is less of a thing, and the TV revenue would probably not even go down. Maybe they would boot Mizzou and Arky.

If stuff like this started gaining momentum, I think you would see some kind of P5 rationalization outside the NCAA, on conferences combined with the CFP. Create a 6th conference and move a team or 2 from each P5, add a couple of G5s to round it out. Maybe six 12 team conferences, then pick the champs and 2 at-larges for an expanded CFP. I think there would be more money in that compared to now, so its theoretically possible.
SEC would cut vandy first.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikeiastat

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That amount is around $40-$45M annually to ISU.

Point of order: K-State reported $40 million as its B12 receipts for the last fiscal year ending June 2020.

I believe a B12 financial case can be made for Colorado State adding the Denver TV market and certainly the P12's Arizona school(s) for PHX.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Point of order: K-State reported $40 million as its B12 receipts for the last fiscal year ending June 2020.

I believe a B12 financial case can be made for Colorado State adding the Denver TV market and certainly the P12's Arizona school(s) for PHX.
Gtfo. Colorado st would not be close to worth it.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

Vandy is valuable to the SEC just like Northwestern or Baylor is to other conferences. Private schools allow you to stash all your conference documents you don't want to be FOIA-ed.

Also, Vandy is a founding member of the SEC. Only 8 members of the current SEC were founding members of the conference. Internal SEC politics would probably prevent Vandy getting ousted.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

They have to keep one punching bag around for the sake of having somebody with some academic credentials.

Vandy definitely does the academics well, is a "good boy" rolling over and losing most of the time, and Nashville is a fun and centrally-located road trip for other members' fans. I think they're pretty safe.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I used to be pro adding group of five teams so that we could get more wins. CMC just proved we can win in a round robin so lets stay with 10!

• Dumb
Reactions: surly

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Agreed the current # is $40M. My use of $45M was a number Bowlsby used as estimate of payout in final year of existing agreement.

If CSU can deliver Denver market and media rights payout is accretive to Big12 schools, I am all for it.

Where I think the Big12 needs to be attentive is future population growth and schools like CSU, Boise State, New Mexico, BYU or UNLV might be interesting options to increase traditional Big12 footprint.

The reality is most Big10 states are seeing population declines, while Southern and Western states are growing. It will be interesting if this hurts Big10 media rights 15-20 years from now.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Agreed the current # is $40M. My use of $45M was a number Bowlsby used as estimate of payout in final year of existing agreement.
I didn't mean for that to be taken as a correction but only to give some meat to your bones with the actual number: $40,184,260. The year before was $39,968,833.