200.gif

Reactions: Drew0311

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If college football moves to the spring, I wonder how many players will sit out, assuming the NFL draft is on time or slightly delayed.

I could see the NFL shortening this season, potentially even cancelling it, but I guarantee you it will start on time next year. And the draft will have to occur at pretty close to the normal time for that to happen. They might be able to delay it by a month or so, but I highly doubt they'd do the draft much later than early June. One would think that more college players than normal would have that in mind before they suited up for sping football games.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If college football moves to the spring, I wonder how many players will sit out, assuming the NFL draft is on time or slightly delayed.

I could see the NFL shortening this season, potentially even cancelling it, but I guarantee you it will start on time next year. And the draft will have to occur at pretty close to the normal time for that to happen. They might be able to delay it by a month or so, but I highly doubt they'd do the draft much later than early June. One would think that more college players than normal would have that in mind before they suited up for sping football games.

No Trevor Lawrence, no Justin Fields...basically any top players eligible for the draft won’t play. Wade from tOSU has to be kicking himself not going in to the draft. Lots of kids are seeing this uncertainty and aren’t going to take any chances of guaranteed money get away.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
No Trevor Lawrence, no Justin Fields...basically any top players eligible for the draft won’t play. Wade from tOSU has to be kicking himself not going in to the draft. Lots of kids are seeing this uncertainty and aren’t going to take any chances of guaranteed money get away.
I think so too. I mean, sure some high profile players will still participate, but I think there will be a significant number that don't.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

So it will weaken the top teams in most conferences. Now ISU could lose Purdy I suppose. But in a year where ISU is picked as a dark horse to win the conference a weaker OU, Texas probably OSU since Chubba may not play might not be a bad thing :)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

If the NFL shortens their season, what about a draft before the college season? Get the NCAA on board with allowing exemptions for a year to let kids sign and stay eligible this year.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If the NFL shortens their season, what about a draft before the college season? Get the NCAA on board with allowing exemptions for a year to let kids sign and stay eligible this year.
I doubt the NFL would be on board with that. Draft a player in the first round, and watch him risk injury by playing every week? Draft picks are way too valuable for that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So it will weaken the top teams in most conferences. Now ISU could lose Purdy I suppose. But in a year where ISU is picked as a dark horse to win the conference a weaker OU, Texas probably OSU since Chubba may not play might not be a bad thing :)

I was looking forward to watching Hubbard outside of the ISU game of course.

Oh well. Was surprised he didn't go this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I was looking forward to watching Hubbard outside of the ISU game of course.

Oh well. Was surprised he didn't go this year.
There certainly is a chance Purdy leaves if there is no season, however from what I read about his draft stock, this year was very important for him. It was a prove it type year. I would not be surprised at all if he ended up staying. Kolar though, he's gone. :(

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Ivy league has like 1% of the revenue to lose than those schools in the P5.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
I don't see the NFL cancelling the season, especially if college football does push to the spring or cancels. I am guessing in that scenario they would shift schedules and have games all day Saturday, Sunday, Monday Night, and Thursday night. And ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC - all of whom will lose college football (less so NBC) are going to be happy to have NFL games to show in place of live college games. And it would benefit both because they could generate ad revenue to replace losing fans in the seats. It would also likely increase viewership - as I'm sure that even those that aren't big NFL fans but are huge college fans will tune in if there is no college ball.

Given all that, I just don't see how the NFL does not play this year. Shortened maybe. No fans likely. But they will play.
College football - I think is 50/50, unfortunately. Hopeful for spring at worst.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron