WRNL - Farmageddon Trophy Contest

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
https://www.widerightnattylite.com/...armageddon-needs-a-trophy-lets-make-it-happen

Don’t know if people already saw this but WRNL is asking for submissions to design a Farmageddon trophy for the ISU-KSU game. Sounds like they want to present something to the ADs at both schools and really make it happen. Don’t know if it’ll gain traction but thought there might be folks on here with nothing better to do...

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I get its Farmageddon but please, nobody think of submitting this design.

i

Reactions: mj4cy

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Should be an actual tractor that the winner hauls away if won. Would be epic. Some of you work at John Deere. Make it happen!

Reactions: psychlone99

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Should be an actual tractor that the winner hauls away if won. Would be epic. Some of you work at John Deere. Make it happen!

This for sure. Take an antique John Deere and paint one side purple/sliver and the other side cardinal/gold. Trailer it to game each year and winner gets to park it near their football facilities for a year. Not only would it be cool, it pays respect to each school's agricultural heritage, and it would quickly gain notoriety as the biggest rivalry "trophy" in all sports.

Last edited:

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I think it's a no brainier that this series--the longest uninterrupted series in college football--needs a trophy. And if COVID decides to crap on the college football season, this contest might provide a needed football distraction.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I just now read the piece and it explicitly says “It’s probably not realistic or practical to have an actual tractor as a trophy, no matter what size. The trophy will almost certainly need to be able to be carried by hand.”
Trophy’s are lame without some historical significance. I think we proved that with the cyhawk.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Overall, yes. But the longest uninterrupted. They have played every year since 1917. Apparently, many series were interrupted in 1918 due to the Spanish Flu. This series was not.

It would be pretty cool to find a way to play this game if the 2020 season is ended due to COVID. Probably fan-less, and maybe even just kind of a "club" deal where willing students from each school did it, but SOMETHING to keep Farmageddon alive could likely be done and done safely.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I just now read the piece and it explicitly says “It’s probably not realistic or practical to have an actual tractor as a trophy, no matter what size. The trophy will almost certainly need to be able to be carried by hand.”
Trophy’s are lame without some historical significance. I think we proved that with the cyhawk.

For Farmageddon I just don't believe it's impractical. There's no way each school's Ag College doesn't have a truck and flatbed to haul it ONCE a year. And one like my '53 John Deere B hardly takes up a parking garage stall. The offer still stands for my B, btw...free to the athletic dept. if they want it.

The best time for a trophy was to commemorate the 100th Anniversary and that's passed. Clearly ISU/KSU are content with the name and no trophy and that's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The other problem with the tractor is liability and damage to the field.

Anyone who has operated an older tractor knows how squirrely they can get if someone pops the clutch. To have a real, operating tractor be the trophy is incredibly cool, but it would also be super easy for someone to get hurt or significant property damage to occur as a result of it's use.

A universal agricultural symbol on a trophy base is the most realistic. I like the idea of having a combine where you change the head to a corn head or a Draper, depending on who wins.

Reactions: WalkingCY

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Overall, yes. But the longest uninterrupted. They have played every year since 1917. Apparently, many series were interrupted in 1918 due to the Spanish Flu. This series was not.
Hmmm, this might actually be the opportunity have a contextual trophy. The game this year commemorates actually playing the game. Maybe a bronze replica of the football used at kickoff. Or the coin-toss coin set into a trophy. Something from the game itself...

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Minnesota and Wisconsin have played every year since 1907.
Clemson and South Carolina have played every year since 1909.
Wake Forest and N.C. State have played every year since 1910.
Kansas and Kansas State have played every year since 1911.

KU and Nebraska played 105 years in a row (1906-2010).

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It's too bad that there's probably zero appetite for recognizing old white men right now but Justin Smith Morrill by all accounts was a good dude. Not just the Morrill Act but was also on the committee that drafted the 14th Amendment.

What they should have done was mark an anniversary of the Morrill Act and started playing for a bronze bust of Justin Smith Morrill. I might actually suggest this to WRNL.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The other problem with the tractor is liability and damage to the field.

Anyone who has operated an older tractor knows how squirrely they can get if someone pops the clutch. To have a real, operating tractor be the trophy is incredibly cool, but it would also be super easy for someone to get hurt or significant property damage to occur as a result of it's use.

A universal agricultural symbol on a trophy base is the most realistic. I like the idea of having a combine where you change the head to a corn head or a Draper, depending on who wins.

Heck if Texas can let Bevo run around and OU has their ponies and wagon. ISU and KSU ought to be able to come up with a couple of kids in farm ops to be able to safely drive an old JD A or B around. @20eyes has offered to donate the tractor.

Reactions: psychlone99