MBB Non-Conference Schedule announced

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
You gotta walk before you run. I’ll take an easier leaning pre-conference schedule so we can get our game together. With transfers, the loss of our lottery pick point guard and incoming freshmen, it’s nice to play a team with delicious frosting and sprinkles on it so we can liberally make mistakes (and they’re coming) and not have to brutally pay for them on the other end.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Totally agree. It’s changed a lot even in the last 3-4 years. And definitely much harder for the UNIs and Drakes of the world to get in.
Well it is probably because they used to have overall SOS and non-con SOS as two different metrics they were considering. That meant that the non-con was considered twice - once as part of overall SOS and again as non-con SOS alone. The big boys generally had the meat of their schedules and toughest games in their conference season so they only got counted once, while the little guys had their toughest games in the non-con and they got counted twice. It makes sense that their resumes aren't looking as good now that the non-con in only counted once in the evaluation.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t trust us playing any A&M school. Prairie View A&M, Texas A&M, Alabama A&M, it doesn’t matter, I’m scarred for life.
We owned TAMU when they were in the Big 12. All in all, yes there are cupcakes, maybe one or two more than usual, but better them than UNI/Drake. I think it's a good schedule for the coming years squad.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
We owned TAMU when they were in the Big 12. All in all, yes there are cupcakes, maybe one or two more than usual, but better them than UNI/Drake. I think it's a good schedule for the coming years squad.

How are any of those teams not associated with tournaments, challenges or Iowa 'better' than UNI or Drake other than in the ability to beat them without effort?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How are any of those teams not associated with tournaments, challenges or Iowa 'better' than UNI or Drake other than in the ability to beat them without effort?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Pretty much this.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Those are some extremely awful D1 programs. Think Prohm might have tried to schedule us to the NIT like I've seen a few others do. That sucks because the NIT is for losers but it's still better than last year so I guess

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'll never hear the end of it if we lose to SDSU. Actually it will just be a weekend of razing but damn I don't want to hear that. If they lose that one I'll by groaning from the cheap seats.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Well odds are we aren’t going to be good, so I’ll take a bad non-con. Prohm has really killed this program IMO

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

EZm0pkuXQAA5l2a

One good take away is there is no Dec 31st game this year... Those are always awkward for attendance and the team coming back from break.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
One good take away is there is no Dec 31st game this year... Those are always awkward for attendance and the team coming back from break.

Based on the lack of venue listed on the schedule, it looks like they may be planning for a potential no-fan December anyway.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
no one has mentioned $$$.

the schools that are 150-250 are in high demand, and they know it.

given covid, maybe ISU figured to save some $$ and only pay the crumbs required for the 300+ level schools.

20 b12 games, iowa, high-maj h-h, big east, SEC, holiday tourney (2-3)....you're at 26-27 games against legit competition. So those other six teams don't really factor into an ncaa decision...might as well play the crappiest teams we can and get the wins.