***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Transfers? Beverly and Kasongo didn't get talked about positively by them at all. They liked Talley, Nixon and Brase. Pretty indifferent on Bowie and Holden, they were just happy to have bodies at that point with that squad. Nixon was talked a lot about his redshirt year but not much the off season going into his playing year

High school is a whole different ballgame. They've known right away with multiple guys it wasn't going to work but you can't really tell until they get them on campus. You have a better idea what you're getting with a healthy grad transfer with P5 experience
Oh god I forgot all about Kasongo, he might just be Prohm’s worst move

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think him playing all conference level is a hope, not an expectation. Anyone with that expectation is likely to be incredibly disappointed, even if he does still end up helping the team win games.
I agree people should have reasonable expectations and hope for more. Imo calling him a home run or suggesting he could be the most talented player isn’t consistent with that, but we’ll go with your interpretation.

Like you said, he can help the team be better than a year ago even if his per game numbers go down. The player (shooter) at Illinois with improved defense would be nice. Unless his handle improves, I’m expecting a mature version of Lewis.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
They knew right away that one was a mistake lol
Is it common to know right away on so many guys?

Maybe this spring means they’ve learned to just wait until something better comes along if they aren’t excited about a recruit or will likely “know right away”

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Is it common to know right away on so many guys?

Maybe this spring means they’ve learned to just wait until something better comes along if they aren’t excited about a recruit or will likely “know right away”

When I say right away I mean they get on campus. The top tier transfers we've gone after this Spring were either really good at their mid major or proven at the high major level so you're right. No reaches which is why even Buggs was a pass for us

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigmapolis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
When I say right away I mean they get on campus. The top tier transfers we've gone after this Spring were either really good at their mid major or proven at the high major level so you're right. No reaches which is why even Buggs was a pass for us
I’m surprised they know that much more promptly after guys get to campus that they wouldn’t have had a good idea from the scrimmage during the visit, if not several years of college.

With COVID it was a great approach by the staff to keep fishing until they landed guys in which that scrimmage was less critical. I hope the willingness to wait is something we see more of.

Also, isn’t transfer recruiting often about getting guys you previously recruited or have connections to? It’s probably indicative of the challenge that this staff had in the past in transfer recruiting that they often had to resort to unknowns. The longer Kane is here, the better transfer recruiting will be. They should know on Johnson. If Tre Mann had left UF, is another one I was hoping for.

Reactions: Halincandenza

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That team in general was just so dang good. Studs at every level except at the 5 where Solo was only a true freshman.

I think it kind of gets forgotten but had he not had the academic issues that kept him from getting here on time, Lard would have been on that team. Him being in the mix would have been interesting.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’m surprised they know that much more promptly after guys get to campus that they wouldn’t have had a good idea from the scrimmage during the visit, if not several years of college.

With COVID it was a great approach by the staff to keep fishing until they landed guys in which that scrimmage was less critical. I hope the willingness to wait is something we see more of.

Also, isn’t transfer recruiting often about getting guys you previously recruited or have connections to? It’s probably indicative of the challenge that this staff had in the past in transfer recruiting that they often had to resort to unknowns. The longer Kane is here, the better transfer recruiting will be. They should know on Johnson. If Tre Mann had left UF, is another one I was hoping for.

I think they have just reached in the past. Also it only takes one scrimmage on a visit. Nader absolutely lit it up on his visit and a kid that ended up at Kansas State stunk so we didn't offer

Agree on everything you said

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think it kind of gets forgotten but had he not had the academic issues that kept him from getting here on time, Lard would have been on that team. Him being in the mix would have been interesting.

Monté Morris
Naz Mitrou-Long
Matt Thomas
Deonte Burton
Manny Malou
---
Donovan Jackson
Nick Weiler-Babb
Cameron Lard
Solomon Young

Who cares about Bowie and Holden, likely not on the team.

That team was good as it was, but that team above would have been salty as ****. If bad Lard shows up that day, Solomon is an adequate replacement for him.

The rest of the team is pretty magnificently talented, experienced, and structured.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Monté Morris
Naz Mitrou-Long
Matt Thomas
Deonte Burton
Manny Malou
---
Donovan Jackson
Nick Weiler-Babb
Cameron Lard
Solomon Young

Who cares about Bowie and Holden, likely not on the team.

That team was good as it was, but that team above would have been salty as ****. If bad Lard shows up that day, Solomon is an adequate replacement for him.

The rest of the team is pretty magnificently talented, experienced, and structured.
Yesssss...sigh. So close.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I agree people should have reasonable expectations and hope for more. Imo calling him a home run or suggesting he could be the most talented player isn’t consistent with that, but we’ll go with your interpretation.

Like you said, he can help the team be better than a year ago even if his per game numbers go down. The player (shooter) at Illinois with improved defense would be nice. Unless his handle improves, I’m expecting a mature version of Lewis.
A mature Lewis would be a great get in my opinion. If he hadn't gotten lost on defense every other possession he was a great player for the offense. JCL might be a step slow in some places, but he understands defensive concepts.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A mature Lewis would be a great get in my opinion. If he hadn't gotten lost on defense every other possession he was a great player for the offense. JCL might be a step slow in some places, but he understands defensive concepts.

Lewis is such a frustrating bust to me.

He absolutely had the talent, size, and athleticism to be a high-major wing.

He just never played within the offense -- though he had enough individual talent there to still be useful, even if hot-dogging it -- and was hilariously bad on defense. Guys would call for the ball for an iso when they had him on them.

He should have been Will Clyburn.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Lewis is such a frustrating bust to me.

He absolutely had the talent, size, and athleticism to be a high-major wing.

He just never played within the offense -- though he had enough individual talent there to still be useful, even if hot-dogging it -- and was hilariously bad on defense. Guys would call for the ball for an iso when they had him on them.

He should have been Will Clyburn.

Yeah? You just described everybody that I guarded in pick up ball during 4 years of undergrad and two of grad school at ISU!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Does JCL have good reviews defensively?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah? You just described everybody that I guarded in pick up ball during 4 years of undergrad and two of grad school at ISU!

Offense in the NBA, especially in the playoffs, is essentially...

-- find the weak link on defense
-- find a mismatch or exploit on them
-- exploit them until they change something
-- if they do not change, then drill them on it until they do

College offenses are increasingly learning that lesson, too. Teams were obviously doing it against us when we had Lewis (and Griffin) on the floor.

I am glad the players in your pick-up league had internalized that strategy.

:)

I have said this before on here, but we mostly talk about our offense. However, our offense was fine last year. It was good even. Our defense was atrocious. Our various lineup, roster construction, and recruiting conversations need to ask, "Who could this guy guard at the B12 level?" way more often than they actually do right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron