Greatest Gut Punch Bracket

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Until we get into a higher stakes game, 2000 Elite Eight will always be the answer, and it's not really close. That was our chance at a title.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
2001 Independence Bowl??
2002 ISU vs Florida State at Arrowhead??

Those hurt still...but the loss to MSU in the Elite Eight is still devastating

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Until we get into a higher stakes game, 2000 Elite Eight will always be the answer, and it's not really close. That was our chance at a title.

You could legitimately argue that the 2013 team was there had Georges not broken his foot. As much as I love Larry, that team would have greatly benefited with a coach that was much more cool under pressure like Fred.

Thats why I like the 2013 team + a healthy Georges much more for a national Championship than the 2000 team.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
For all of the ISU entries...losing in the Elite 8 vs MSU + refs should blow anything ISU out of the water for gut punches. Heck, it was even a gut punch that ISU, the overall #5 seed, was placed in the same bracket with the overall #1 seed MSU.

For the others...I'm surprised they have the Ronnie Harmon Rose Bowl game as #2. Hawk fans to this day still complain about that game...even moreso than their #1 2015 Fake ID year.

I'm also shocked the UNI blowing a 12 point lead in the final minute was seeded at #3. It was considered one of the biggest choke jobs in NCAA history and made the rounds everywhere.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I had forgotten about that muffed punt return last season vs. Iowa and wouldn't put that up there in that series.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Wrestling fanatics may dispute this, but why is Gable losing his final match even in the bracket? If you want to involve Gable, wouldn't a better gut-kick be that he became HC at Iowa, then won a s***-ton of national titles?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
By far the worst was the MSU game. We were winning the whole thing with a W in that game.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You could legitimately argue that the 2013 team was there had Georges not broken his foot. As much as I love Larry, that team would have greatly benefited with a coach that was much more cool under pressure like Fred.

Thats why I like the 2013 team + a healthy Georges much more for a national Championship than the 2000 team.

I loved that 2014 team, and Georges' foot was absolutely a bad break. But when you break it down I still say no.

The 2014 team was playing great ball by the end of the year and played very well in KC and against NC Central/UNC. But ultimately they lost to UConn because they had a bad game with the (notable) exception of Dustin Hogue. Which became a theme with Hoiberg's teams; on their good nights they could beat anyone, but could lay an egg at times. The Elite 8 game would've been against the Michigan State team with Denzel Valentine and Adreian Payne; with Niang it would've been a great game, but by no means a guarantee.

The 2000 team on the other hand was legitimately one of the top teams in the country. #6 in the AP, #3 in the Coaches. A lottery pick in Fizer, who remains the most dominant ISU player I have ever watched. A longtime NBA point guard in Tinsley (who has a case for second most dominant player). Great shooters in Horton and Nurse. Combined with the support of Shirley, Johnson and Rancik.

They were two shots away from running the table in the Big 12 and were absolutely killing teams by the end of that season. Outside of a close semifinal game against OSU, who would also make the Elite 8, they breezed through Kansas City. Didn't lose a single home game. And on top of that Eustachy was the national coach of the year.

As far as the actual game, it's not just that ISU had a late lead in that game. Up until the 4-5 minute mark in the second half, they had really controlled the game and had MSU on their heels. And then it all just imploded. It was a very quick, and very devastating meltdown.

The broken foot is very much it's own "what if?", and the 2014 team absolutely could've wreaked havoc with a healthy Georges. But for the most part the "if not for Niang's foot" narrative is something we Cyclone fans talk about among ourselves. The 2000 Elite 8 game being labeled the "de-facto national championship" wasn't just an ISU thing; it was the national narrative. Even Tom Izzo stands by it. A 1 and a 2 seed competing to go to a Final Four with two 8 seeds and a 5.

I loved the 2014 team. Niang, Ejim, Hogue, Kane and co. with the Mayor at the helm was a hell of a team, and should've made the Elite 8. But the idea that ISU could win a national championship was never more tangible than it was in 2000 after that team slaughtered UCLA in the Sweet 16 and held that late lead against MSU. Four minutes. They just had to hold on for four more minutes, and the promised land was in sight.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Everyone knows Marchie Murdock caught a touchdown against 2017 Oklahoma State. We still lost and I’m still pissed off
everyone in the stadium except for the refs knows Murdok caught that ball...... and then follow that up with the screw job at KSU the same year......

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I don't think it's a close argument. The 2000 team steamrolled to that point, had a late lead, and would have been favored in the final four and NC game. That's the team Doug Gottleib called the best team he has seen that didn't win the NC.

Two things about the UConn game itself- UConn really controlled that game. ISU made a few pushes but every time they would get within 7 or so UConn would hit a couple shots. Second, as a result of Georges being out, Hogue had a much bigger role and responded with a once in a lifetime game.

ISU would've had a reasonable chance at a NC has they gotten past UConn. If the 2000 team had gotten past MSU they would've been the clear favorite.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
that game sucked but we all walked out knowing we had won and Florida state fans knew they lost

ISU had the momentum, but even if the TD happened ISU still has to either go for two or hit a PAT for overtime. Considering the last play got stuffed I don't share the certainty that conversion of a two point play was likely.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
ISU had the momentum, but even if the TD happened ISU still has to either go for two or hit a PAT for overtime. Considering the last play got stuffed I don't share the certainty that conversion of a two point play was likely.

True, no certainty. Say we go for 2 and fail (or kick XP, then lose in OT), gut-punch level would be even higher than the questionable non-TD call.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
ISU fans need a 64 team bracket of their own to list all of the gut punches we've endured over the years.

With the WHO bracket(s) plus other suggestions in this thread, we're already about halfway there. I started a list. :)

A short-while back, there was a thread about WBB gut-punches, I can't find it immediately with a search — can anyone locate it? Several from there that could be in the bracket. Loss to BYU in '02 (?) is the only one I remember specifically.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
With the WHO bracket(s) plus other suggestions in this thread, we're already about halfway there. I started a list. :)

A short-while back, there was a thread about WBB gut-punches, I can't find it immediately with a search — can anyone locate it? Several from there that could be in the bracket. Loss to BYU in '02 (?) is the only one I remember specifically.

For WBB, I'd choose the 2000 Sweet 16 loss to Penn St

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One of the "fun" (or un-fun) exercises associated with the gut-punch results is speculating what would or could have happened if W replaced L.

Common view is '00 Elite 8 team probably wins the title (my view Florida might have given ISU a decent challenge but I wouldn't have bet against us). We've talked about winning Big 12 North, then guessing a convincing loss in the conference championship, but it would've changed the specific bowl invite.

In comparison, I've seen less guessing about '01 and '15 tournament teams, and a few others added in this thread (like '76 Orange/No Bowl).

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I had forgotten about that muffed punt return last season vs. Iowa and wouldn't put that up there in that series.

I think the gut punch from cy-hawk series is Grant Steen's fumbling after getting the int that imo was going to change that game in 2001. :D

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron