Above Ground Pools

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
I have some friends that have gone with the above ground pool but both of them really did it right...built a nice deck around the whole thing. Really made a it a nice hang out spot for older kids.

I was actually just thinking about getting one last night but was more thinking the larger ones that I could build a nice deck around. Wonder if 10K would do it all?? Either way my yard has a pretty sizable slop so I'm thinking the leveling of the yard around the current deck would be the biggest pain.

FYI - my friends that have them pretty much all like them but again...you need to spend more money, get a nice big pool and put a deck around it.

I don't think $10k would cover the materials. I'd budget $30-40k if you are hiring someone to do it for you.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Ok given the feedback I have gotten, this is sounding like a horrible idea. is there a cheap option that will suffice? Or do I just buy a big used cattle water trough and throw it in the back yard?

Only remaining advice I have...don't tell your wife "CycloneFanatic said..." It never ends well.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ok given the feedback I have gotten, this is sounding like a horrible idea. is there a cheap option that will suffice? Or do I just buy a big used cattle water trough and throw it in the back yard?

We had a 15’ inflatable pool years ago. It was fun. Must be level. We had it until we moved to a house with an in ground pool.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well if that’s the deck is the only way to do it right, then I’m getting out the hose, dish soap, and a big ass tarp because that ain’t happenin.

So you have decided to do a soapy bikini wrestling for a fundraiser? Time and place, bro.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I don't think $10k would cover the materials. I'd budget $30-40k if you are hiring someone to do it for you.

We can get a nice in-ground pool for $30-40k easy here in the KC area. I wouldn't be surprised if there were several options in Des Moines for close to the same.

A place like Family Leisure will give you a really nice installed above ground for around 5k(they start at 2k installed). Even with the decking there is no way it comes to that.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Like I posted before, my neighbor had an inflatable Intex (clearance at Wal-Mart for $50) that he got for next to nothing and after leveling the ground by hand grading a pretty flat area, adding crushed stone surrounded by landscaping block and buying chemicals he had a really nice set-up for way under $500.

They also treated and covered like clockwork. After a little research you can upgrade the filter and that will also make a big difference.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Be careful when you hire the pool boy. According to movies I’ve seen, they usually end up getting busy with your wife. Why I don’t buy a pool.

• Funny
Reactions: BigCyFan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Be careful when you hire the pool boy. According to movies I’ve seen, they usually end up getting busy with your wife. Why I don’t buy a pool.
*bites tongue hard and fights hilarious smart ass remark*

Thank you. Good tip!

*continues to bite tongue...*

Reactions: BCClone

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Don’t listen to these people. I had a 16’ x 52” Intex for 4 years and those were the best memories of our old home. Our new home HOA doesn’t allow above ground pools, thanks Nazis, otherwise we’d still have it.
Yes it is some work, but I found that it was well worth it, not everyone will, mostly the lazy POS.
We were in it almost everyday or night from late May to Late August.
The first year is hard to get the ground perfectly level, but it gets easier after each year.
We upgraded and bought a sand filter with salt water. We still have it just in case we get the chance.
My daughter is 7 and she is practically a fish thanks to living in the pool every summer. I loved just floating out there at night with a beer in a floaty after a hot days work.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
There was a house in Ames that had the set-up I would want. IIRC the owner was a design prof who had built a large greenhouse on the south side of the house, and put an in-ground pool in the greenhouse. It was useable all-year round I think, and it helped with both heating and cooling costs. Super clever.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There was a house in Ames that had the set-up I would want. IIRC the owner was a design prof who had built a large greenhouse on the south side of the house, and put an in-ground pool in the greenhouse. It was useable all-year round I think, and it helped with both heating and cooling costs. Super clever.

That is a good idea. The heating is another good point. You would be surprised how slow water is to warm up and how much a good rain can cool it down. If you have especially women folk around that are touchy with water temp they will either hardly get in it or you will have a heater.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I can’t imagine having a pool in the Midwest. Seems pointless. I’ve lived in Arizona and Texas my entire life (other than my student years at ISU) in homes that had in ground pools and even there, pools are only truly usable 5-6 months out of the year if you don’t heat it.

How many solid months can you get out of it in the Midwest or anywhere but the south? 3 months max?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Update: After thorough discussions regarding the large water holder for children’s entertainment, it was decided that there will be an above ground pool construction attempt made in my backyard. A $400 Coleman 18’ pool was purchased. I have enlisted a friend who does groundwork and grading for a living who just set up his own pool. A large quantity of sand is set to be brought in and wheelbarrowed to back yard to attempt to offset about 10 inch drop over the surface of the pool. The set up is set to take place Thursday night. May God have mercy on my soul.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Update: After thorough discussions regarding the large water holder for children’s entertainment, it was decided that there will be an above ground pool construction attempt made in my backyard. A $400 Coleman 18’ pool was purchased. I have enlisted a friend who does groundwork and grading for a living who just set up his own pool. A large quantity of sand is set to be brought in and wheelbarrowed to back yard to attempt to offset about 10 inch drop over the surface of the pool. The set up is set to take place Thursday night. May God have mercy on my soul.

Good luck man. Having the guy that does it for a living will help.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron