Above Ground Pools

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have young kids and am looking at getting one. I’ve never had one or installed one but I’m moderately handy and am willing to tackle it. I wouldn’t get one but with everything going on I doubt pools will be open this summer (that’s a separate debate of course).

Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for more installation advice but what kind of pool would be awesome too. I’m not looking to spend a ton of dough on one, that’s for sure. I’m guessing others might be in the same boat which is reason for starting this thread.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
As an FYI, prices are a lot higher than last year and noticed that many places were out of stock (or very limited choices).
I am aware. I’ve had to do some serious digging to find one and it ain’t cheap but not terrible. I’ve heard last year I could of gotten one for less.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am aware. I’ve had to do some serious digging to find one and it ain’t cheap but not terrible. I’ve heard last year I could of gotten one for less.

Call up Pauly. He's probably not busy.

ScreenShot441.jpg

Reactions: Macloney

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
As an FYI, prices are a lot higher than last year and noticed that many places were out of stock (or very limited choices).
My son was looking for one at a certain size and shape for his family and couldn't find one online and I'm sure the prices have increased due to demand.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
FWIW, I know two families that have them and both said the setup is time consuming, but not difficult. Also it's a two person job.

Reactions: wxman1 and JM4CY

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Saw Class Act recently and had forgotten he made an appearance as the same character as Encino Man and Son in Law.

That's funny because those are 3 different characters. It was just his schtick. Kind of like Bobcat Goldthwait.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
My neighbors had an Intex inflatable that they got on clearance for like $50 and with proper set-up and care it was a really fun pool for the neighbor kids the 2 summers they set it up. Dude did level the ground, put sand down and they treated and covered it religiously.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have young kids and am looking at getting one. I’ve never had one or installed one but I’m moderately handy and am willing to tackle it. I wouldn’t get one but with everything going on I doubt pools will be open this summer (that’s a separate debate of course).

Any advice would be appreciated. Looking for more installation advice but what kind of pool would be awesome too. I’m not looking to spend a ton of dough on one, that’s for sure. I’m guessing others might be in the same boat which is reason for starting this thread.

Spent around 800 bucks on an 18’ intex pool a couple years ago. The ground needs to be perfectly level to put it up. We had about a 4 or 5 inch downslope and it was enough that the filter acted goofy on the top side. I was also worried that if the side broke out from not being level, all the water would end up in our neighbors house.

I later pumped all the water back out to try and level it out only for a windstorm to throw it on top of our play set and puncture a bunch of holes in it. The worst 800 dollars I’ve ever spent. It was up long enough to completely kill an 18’ diameter circle in our backyard that has taken a couple years to fill back in

We ended up with a trampoline instead and are much happier. The kids use it alllll the time. In the summer the sprinkler below gets used constantly. 300 bucks for the trampoline and 30 bucks for the sprinkler. No maintenance and still get the water aspect.

The sprinkler.
https://tinyurl.com/y8xz8pw5

The trampoline we got and have been satisfied with.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/15ft-trampolin-wgame-dotcom-2018/prod22411688?xid=plp_product_1_9

The pool we put up.
https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...tra-xtr-frame-pool-set-with-sand-filter-pump/

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Spent around 800 bucks on an 18’ intex pool a couple years ago. The ground needs to be perfectly level to put it up. We had about a 4 or 5 inch downslope and it was enough that the filter acted goofy on the top side. I was also worried that if the side broke out from not being level, all the water would end up in our neighbors house.

I later pumped all the water back out to try and level it out only for a windstorm to throw it on top of our play set and puncture a bunch of holes in it. The worst 800 dollars I’ve ever spent. It was up long enough to completely kill an 18’ diameter circle in our backyard that has taken a couple years to fill back in

We ended up with a trampoline instead and are much happier. The kids use it alllll the time. In the summer the sprinkler below gets used constantly. 300 bucks for the trampoline and 30 bucks for the sprinkler. No maintenance and still get the water aspect.

Well that doesn't make me feel better about this. But I really appreciate the honesty. I'm gonna have to move some ground or find some way to get it level. It's like you said, not bad in the back yard but its definitely not close to level.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Well that doesn't make me feel better about this. But I really appreciate the honesty. I'm gonna have to move some ground or find some way to get it level. It's like you said, not bad in the back yard but its definitely not close to level.

You’re gonna have issues and it’s not as simple as just moving some ground. That’s a ton of weight and it’s going to settle if you just move some loose dirt or sand around. A five inch change in slope is a very noticeable 5 inch change in water level from side to side on the wall of the pool.

The kids are just as happy with the trampoline and it’s half as much. The sprinkler really sets the whole thing off. Plus the ground doesn’t need to be perfectly level.

I added some links in the post above about what we bought.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The sprinkler.

The trampoline we got and have been satisfied with.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/15ft-trampolin-wgame-dotcom-2018/prod22411688?xid=plp_product_1_9

The pool we put up.
https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...tra-xtr-frame-pool-set-with-sand-filter-pump/

+1 on the trampoline suggestion. We've had one for 5 years now and it's been the best money we've ever spent for our kids. We got a 15' Skywalker that's held up really well.

• Winner

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You’re gonna have issues and it’s not as simple as just moving some ground. That’s a ton of weight and it’s going to settle if you just move some loose dirt or sand around. A five inch change in slope is a very noticeable 5 inch change in water level from side to side on the wall of the pool.

The kids are just as happy with the trampoline and it’s half as much. The sprinkler really sets the whole thing off. Plus the ground doesn’t need to be perfectly level.

I added some links in the post above about what we bought.
Well to be honest we already have a trampoline and have discovered the sprinkler under it. You are correct. Great combo. I have poo poo'd the pool idea but am beginning to get voted off the island by the other members of the tribe for my resistance to it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
One more thing to think of is where you’re going to pump the water when you have to drain it. We didn’t have a waste water clean out on the outside of our house, which you should have when adding chlorine. That way the water ends up at the treatment plant instead of the sewer. I never added chlorine so I pumped it into the sewer out front but if you have crappy neighbors, someone may turn you in for doing that.

• Winner

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Well to be honest we already have a trampoline and have discovered the sprinkler under it. You are correct. Great combo. I have poo poo'd the pool idea but am beginning to get voted off the island by the other members of the tribe for my resistance to it.

The above sprinkler attached to the top of the net is a game changer compared to the below. It really does work well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't have one but my wife's grandparents do and like others have said there is a lot more to it than it can be worth. I wouldn't dream of putting one up by myself or even with help from friends due to the aforementioned issues. They have had theirs at least 12-13 years and have had to have someone come out and fill in holes and attempt to level it at least twice in that time frame.

• Winner

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron