Top 25 power 5 coaches

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Opened this article up loaded for bear and expecting to find 5-10 spots higher to put CMC. Couldn't. I think he will be higher before long but probably right for now.

Nothing that getting to the Big XII title game won't fix.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Opened this article up loaded for bear and expecting to find 5-10 spots higher to put CMC. Couldn't. I think he will be higher before long but probably right for now.

There's a lot of really good coaches in football right now. Campbell probably doesn't have much distance between him and the 20th ranked. Like I think you could argue him over the 5 right above him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I tend to think its nearly impossible to compare and rank coaches after the first 5 to 10 because each one is in a different situation. I tend to think the guy at OU is a very good young coach, but how well would he do if he was at ISU or KSU?

Everyone knows that Saban is a great coach, Dabo at Clemson is also right there, so was Meyer, but after that its who's had a good last couple of years.
Wisconsin has been through 3 coaches in the past 10 years, and they keep winning, is it because they were all great coaches, I doubt it, as long as the AD is there, and they play in the Big 10 West, they will continue to win.
Hell I would like to have seen what Bill Snyder could have done with a resources of a school like Texas or Michigan. Campbell is a very good coach, but this year we have to break through, or he will be lumped into the good but not great coaches. Before anyone starts to *****, that has made the guy over there in Iowa City a lot of money over the past 21 years.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There's a lot of really good coaches in football right now. Campbell probably doesn't have much distance between him and the 20th ranked. Like I think you could argue him over the 5 right above him.
Said damn near same thing, clearly you are a ducking geneous. ;)

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
It’s funny to me how after one average season, in which we had about about as bad of luck as you can have, Campbell has “hit his ceiling”. It took Snyder seven seasons to hit 10 wins, and Frank Beamer nine at Va Tech! First, we have to establish ourselves as a perennial bowl team, then let’s take the next step. If we keep developing we’ll get there.

Reactions: cyguy9320 and JP4CY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

CMC should have at least been rated above Mendenhal and Stoops. There's a few head scratchers in the list, the biggest being Kelly at #5.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s funny to me how after one average season, in which we had about about as bad of luck as you can have, Campbell has “hit his ceiling”. It took Snyder seven seasons to hit 10 wins, and Frank Beamer nine at Va Tech! First, we have to establish ourselves as a perennial bowl team, then let’s take the next step. If we keep developing we’ll get there.
Good point. Imo, any coach that can still win 7-8 games every year at a place like Iowa State is no doubt top 25.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
CMC should have at least been rated above Mendenhal and Stoops. There's a few head scratchers in the list, biggest being Kelly at #5.
Kelly has won big at multiple stops as a head coach plus not sure if he can get the same recruits in the door at ND. Bronco won at a pretty good clip at BYU and when he went to UVA I didn't expect him to succeed but he has which is pretty impressive. I'm with you on Stoops. The overall list is pretty impressive mostly with coaches that have won big over a long period and/ or at multiple schools.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If you read very many of those summaries you’ll find this writer is pessimistic as heck about most of the bottom ten. Rather than writing about the pluses that got them in the top 25 they are writing about the reasons they are suspect and may not belong. Weird.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm not a big fan of Lincoln Riley. His defenses suck and he can't win a NY6 game because of it.

Bringing in Grinch was a good move but that D still has a long way to go.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'm not a big fan of Lincoln Riley. His defenses suck and he can't win a NY6 game because of it.

I'm not completely sold on Riley either he's not been a HC anywhere else - how successful would he be at programs like Rutgers, Kansas, Oregon State, Vandy or Wake Forest?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kelly has won big at multiple stops as a head coach plus not sure if he can get the same recruits in the door at ND. Bronco won at a pretty good clip at BYU and when he went to UVA I didn't expect him to succeed but he has which is pretty impressive. I'm with you on Stoops. The overall list is pretty impressive mostly with coaches that have won big over a long period and/ or at multiple schools.
Mendenhall is a good coach. Seems like he's a football CEO type of guy.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm not completely sold on Riley either he's not been a HC anywhere else - how successful would he be at programs like Rutgers, Kansas, Oregon State, Vandy or Wake Forest?

True, but how successful would any great coach be at those schools? Just look at our 2 instate schools, its a lot easier to maintain a 8 win average at Iowa than it is at ISU.
Playing in the Big 10 West is a gift that just keeps on giving, year after year. This year the schedule for their crossover games bites them in the ass. But most years its PSU, and then two of the sisters of the poor, Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana.
How much better would Campbell's record be if we got to miss OU every other year, like Iowa does with OSU. In 21 seasons, their coach has played them 11 times with a 2/9 record.
Riley is a very good coach, I would think that if was at ISU he would be getting us to 8 wins each year also.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Riley's issue will be like CMC, fighting off NFL rumors.
Yes they absolutely need to shore up their defense, but if you are in the playoff hunt every year, play everyone in your league, and play a P5 non con, I'll tip my cap.
Plus, we get to watch OU pound Nebraska next year with him.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Under Grinch the OU D jumped from atrocious to second in the conference in total defense.

Not sure how anyone could consider that “a long way to go”. They’ve always had talent, and that defense doesn’t lose a whole lot from last year.

I guess you could say that they have a long way to go to reach a national elite level, but when you recruit at the level OU does, that doesn’t take long either.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron