***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't see it as a huge hurdle. There's a giant commitment difference between a house, and going to college for 1 or 2 years. There's far more importance on coach and player cohesion, and facilities, than scenery and campus life.

The guys Iowa St should be targeting are the ones that are making a basketball decision to either improve their personal stock, or looking to a better team and play on a bigger stage.

The one issue you don't mention is getting to meet your new teammates. I would not pick a school until I meet my teammates. The only exception is if I had prior friendships with players on a team and could leverage their advice. I think this will be a long summer, with a lot of recruiting for next school year still being done in June/July.

If the NCAA chances the rule to make transfers immediately eligible, I could see hundreds of more kids looking to transfer. Wanting to be closer to home or looking for a bigger stage than playing for a mid-major.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I understand you thought and it is the main reason the player is looking for a new school. I trust the staff is selling the bigger role and pro stock and they are getting in the final 4 of many of the top available.
The issue is the other 4 schools are offering the same that ISU can offer at that point and that is where not selling a player from the West or East coast who may never been to Iowa they should move to Ames for year w/o visiting. The players we missed out on have essentially stayed close to home to play for schools they are familiar with and likely visited.
Yes, which is why I never thought we had much of a chance at all of landing Gomez or Aiken. However, guys like Turner and DeJulius went to "Middle America" schools, and their list consist only of other similar type schools, so I'd assume location isn't much of an issue.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I’m holding out hope that transfer season hasn’t really peaked yet and we can get a guy like Deandre Kane late in the process. I remember he committed on or around June 1st. Maybe some studs still out there later on?

Reactions: baagoe

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The one issue you don't mention is getting to meet your new teammates. I would not pick a school until I meet my teammates. The only exception is if I had prior friendships with players on a team and could leverage their advice.
True, however every school is in the same boat this spring, so unless a recruit has a prior relationship, they're all equal. Then it's up to the coach to find the best way to virtually sell their program and players.

This is the part we haven't heard much about. I think there's a huge advantage to the more creative coaches and departments.
-Videos selling the facilities and arena atmosphere
- Players on conference calls
- Previous players making pitches via video chat or recorded video

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If you think 18-22 yr old kids don't care about a campus or what there is to do around the city/town you are kidding yourself. They are going to care about the college experience also. Why do you think on recruiting trips they have host players take them out on the town for a night?
Right, but show me the list of other schools that are allowing recruits onto campus, and are taking them around to bars. All schools this spring are in the same boat. Yeah sure Marquette is in Milwaukee, not Ames, but if that was the selling point, Marquette would have the higher recruiting class every year.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Right, but show me the list of other schools that are allowing recruits onto campus, and are taking them around to bars. All schools this spring are in the same boat. Yeah sure Marquette is in Milwaukee, not Ames, but if that was the selling point, Marquette would have the higher recruiting class every year.

But this is not like every other year, and at minimum you could go watch the Greek Freak in action in Milwaukee. That is a known commodity. An NBA team right there. In the current market that is a selling point

Ames is an unkown commodity for lots of these guys.

It will be interesting to see, for those transfers who made decision the last oh say 2-3 weeks, how many went to schools, that are more than say 200 miles from home, or were ever previously recruited by the school they chose. Especially those transferring into a P5 program

Maybe your best bet would be to get a transfer within the conference, at least then there is some familiarity with facilities, experience, all be it brief

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You mean every year in which visits are not allowed.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
But this is not like every other year, and at minimum you could go watch the Greek Freak in action in Milwaukee. That is a known commodity. An NBA team right there. In the current market that is a selling point

Ames is an unkown commodity for lots of these guys..

It will be interesting to see, for those transfers who made decision the last oh say 2-3 weeks, how many went to schools, that are more than say 200 miles from home, or were ever previously recruited by the school they chose. Especially those transferring into a P5 program
I'm not arguing location, that is a big factor. However, when a recruit has a final 4 of Marquette, Cincinnati, and Missouri, then I think it's safe to say that location is already considered and a particular city, or campus, is not a huge factor.

I think that this year, given the situation, it is the most important for a player and coach relationship, especially for the transfers that have come about in the last couple weeks. They are well aware there is no chance they are going to get to meet the players in person, and see the night life.
On any previous year:
player and coach relationship > City
This year:
Player and coach relationship >>> City.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm not arguing location, that is a big factor. However, when a recruit has a final 4 of Marquette, Cincinnati, and Missouri, then I think it's safe to say that location is already considered and a particular city, or campus, is not a huge factor.
Can you expand on this? It doesn’t need to be a huge factor- presumably no school in his final four has a prohibitive characteristic. That doesn’t mean there aren’t preferences in the many decision points, even slight ones, that can be the tipping point.

For example, maybe a recruit cursorily views Milwaukee or Cincinnati as a plus. Normally ISU or Missouri would have an opportunity to sell the positives of their communities with a visit, while selling higher priority things like chemistry with the roster. Not this year. Cursory things like location are harder to overcome.

Is it fair to say that when buying things sight unseen or without a “test drive”, recruits would fall back to things they think they know? Maybe a transfer loved their college town experience and Ames is a benefit, or the idea of Focus Town, but I think we can agree that bigger cities tend to have less negative stereotypes to fight.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Recruits are committing to schools they know and are comfortable with.

They aren’t touring the campus, seeing the facilities in person, hanging out with the team. Yes it’s tougher this year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Can you expand on this? It doesn’t need to be a huge factor- presumably no school in his final four has a prohibitive characteristic. That doesn’t mean there aren’t preferences in the many decision points, even slight ones, that can be the tipping point.

For example, maybe a recruit cursorily views Milwaukee or Cincinnati as a plus. Normally ISU or Missouri would have an opportunity to sell the positives of their communities with a visit, while selling higher priority things like chemistry with the roster. Not this year. Cursory things like location are harder to overcome.

Is it fair to say that when buying things sight unseen or without a “test drive”, recruits would fall back to things they think they know? Maybe a transfer loved their college town experience and Ames is a benefit, or the idea of Focus Town, but I think we can agree that bigger cities tend to have less negative stereotypes to fight.
I think location and city is usually a factor, but imo, when a recruit lists a final 4 schools, then he's likely already determined any of those locations are suitable for him. Particularly in spring recruiting, when the recruitment period is only a couple of weeks. Then it comes down to what the coach is selling him, and teammate camaraderie. Although relationships with players is harder to sell this spring.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
According to DJ Cartons snapchat story he has made a decision

Interesting.
Prohm unfollowing him this week may indicate he was told ISU isn't the spot. Though DeJulius suddenly moving back his commitment announcement could mean ISU is the spot.

Regardless him announcing will be good to end the speculation.

greenec31

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2017
Roland, Iowa
Interesting.
Prohm unfollowing him this week may indicate he was told ISU isn't the spot. Though DeJulius suddenly moving back his commitment announcement could mean ISU is the spot.

This is the picture that he posted but I have also not seen an edit that has ISU in it

Attachments

• 44084B28-8017-43F2-A821-5A7387ABFE45.jpeg
    44084B28-8017-43F2-A821-5A7387ABFE45.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 192

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Interesting.

If Prohm unfollowed him this week, then he isn't coming here. If he was coming here, why would a coach unfollow him?

Just another swing and a miss.