Aiken

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nothing is working it seems, so we're back to coaching our guys up, being patient and then taking our turn at the top of the conference (hopefully).

This doesn't seem to be a strength of this coaching staff. They've had more recruits leave w/o ever having an impact that guys who stuck around, even just as role players. That's the oddest thing about all of this, can't be many other programs in that situation.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The new transfer rule is expected to go in to effect next season as well, it'll also be a bad time to be firing. Any program with a coaching change will be totally gutted.

The other side of that is a coach could bring in players from his old school (if rules allow).

Things are pretty optimistic when a new coach is hired, so a new coach is going to be able to reconstruct a roster immediately.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The other side of that is a coach could bring in players from his old school (if rules allow).

Things are pretty optimistic when a new coach is hired, so a new coach is going to be able to reconstruct a roster immediately.
And hypothetically if Prohm would leave, that wouldn't mean the current guys on the roster would 100% transfer. When Fred left, the guys on that roster could've gone elsewhere but decided to stay.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
At this point would we even want Carton as a sit out? All it would do is shed a glimmer of hope on the 2022 squad and give Prohm a potential ticket to another year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
At this point would we even want Carton as a sit out? All it would do is shed a glimmer of hope on the 2022 squad and give Prohm a potential ticket to another year.
Yes we would want him..

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I love Prohm as a person and wish him the very best but gosh damn this is getting bad. If he doesnt land a couple of big time sit out transfers it's not looking good for him.

CW - Any kind of word whatsoever on DJ Carton? That is literally the ONLY name floating around right now that would make me feel differently.

*Only makes it worse that both Iowa and Creighton may be legit top ten teams next year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Things are bad when you have a fan asking if we shouldn't take a former Top 40 recruit.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I love Prohm as a person and wish him the very best but gosh damn this is getting bad. If he doesnt land a couple of big time sit out transfers it's not looking good for him.

CW - Any kind of word whatsoever on DJ Carton? That is literally the ONLY name floating around right now that would make me feel differently.

*Only makes it worse that both Iowa and Creighton may be legit top ten teams next year.
Again, it's only been 4 weeks on the dot since we played our last game of the season. There is going to be transfers popping up left and right for a while now. We shouldn't blow this out of proportion just yet.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Again, it's only been 4 weeks on the dot since we played our last game of the season. There is going to be transfers popping up left and right for a while now. We shouldn't blow this out of proportion just yet.

I hope you're right. I can stomach one more down year in 2021 if he has a couple of studs waiting in the wings for 2022. If the NCAA approves immediate transfer eligibility no excuses in 2021. Zero.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
This morning, I caught the end of the 2015 ISU vs. Iowa game where Monte hit a last second shot to win it after being down the whole game. That team had Monte, Thomas and Niang, all high school guys that developed through the years here.

I'm now beginning to think that ISU is in 'long-play' mode where we simply have to recruit better and develop our guys. I hope to be surprised, but it seems thus far that we're going to have to go with what we have on campus plus some warm transfer/juco bodies that aren't gonna shock the world by any means, but be practice bodies.

Patients is in order unfortunately.
We need more than warm bodied "patients" at this point. Our patience needs some studs for us to get excited again.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
The Cyclone basketball program is down right now. But the nice thing about college basketball is a couple players can make a big difference.

IMO our fanbase is in a damaged state right now! Seems to me we have become the whiny fan base that we typically criticized Hawk & Husker fans of being. A little success hasn't been pretty.
Seems like most of the anger is based on a lot of failure and going 48-50 over the past three years. How do you fix that? Get better players is my guess and we have yet to land any although I think we still might. That said, if folks want to be excited about that, far be it for me to stop them. The performance of our fans has absolutely outperformed this program in these past three years so if they wish to vent-Let them IMO. It's not their fault things are this bad. So it is not the past success that is the problem, it is having the losingest season in 40 years that is likely on their minds. Which,I am certain that many Iowa and Nebraska fans CAN relate to

It seems to me, that is what people are pissed about- I may be misreading things tho. IF you want to yell at or blame our fans for caring, go get that windmill!

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I feel like people are jumping too quick on conclusions. It's early April and the season hasn't even been "done" for that long. Let a few more weeks play out and more coaches go over their rosters and "force" some out. I'm sure there will continue to be more announcements in the near future. Plus, stop putting the cart before the horse, we don't know who these guys will choose. Am I happy about the current state of the program, no. But I'm also going to wait on these guys choosing and announce before I write anything off and immediately say the sky is falling before we know anything.

Also, I don't really know the answer to this, but could there be more late grad transfers if/when the colleges say this past semester is done or did they already do that in most states? If those students are allowed to apply this past semester for more credits, it might get them to the allotted credits. But I might be behind the ball if that was already done.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Actively rooting for Iowa State basketball to fail.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As for guards, Prohm can sell them on putting guards in the NBA, however what he can't sell them on is a trip to the NCAA Tournament because the transfers all know that isn't going to happen. That's what hurts us.