New Pollard Letter

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Remember that Cyclone Club donations are made to support the Athletic Department and all Cyclone sports. Like with donations to all types of organizations, Cyclone Club donations should be made because your love the organization. I would never ask for my donation back. But if there is no football season, I would expect a ticket refund.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Remember that Cyclone Club donations are made to support the Athletic Department and all Cyclone sports. Like with donations to all types of organizations, Cyclone Club donations should be made because your love the organization. I would never ask for my donation back. But if there is no football season, I would expect a ticket refund.

I mean, this is nice to think about, but for most people its essentially just a seat upgrade fee, framed as a donation because that was good for taxes for many until recently.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Yeah, they can keep my donation but I would want my ticket money back. Would probably buy cheap BB tickets then. Daughter and son playing HS and youth ties up many of our open dates.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I assume other schools will do this as well. If not, we’ll see how well it’s really received by our coaches and prospective coaches if/when Jamie fires Prohm. Seems like we should have had some reserves. We’re only a couple weeks in to this thing.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If there are no games, will the Cyclone Club donation be tax deductible? No benefits received...o_O

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
I live in a different time-zone and have to make airline and motel arrangements to attend ISU football games, so committing to a football ticket is a little more complicated for me. Right now I'm considering donating the money I spend on travel and lodging to the Cyclone Club, the Foundation and the Alumni Association. That's my way to continue supporting Iowa State if we don't play football and suggest that others consider this possibility.

On another topic, I kindly request that we are clear and precise about how we are treating our staff in the athletic department. As I read Pollard's letter, I'm seeing "freeze" instead of a pay cut. To some, a freeze equals a pay cut, especially if you are the employee that is affected. Saying this is a pay cut may be a narrative our competitors might want spread around. I'm sure they've already thought of it.

Reactions: wxman1

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
This. Instead of the $3M or so loss from losing the NCAA BBall tourneys, now you are talking $35M...ouch.

Non-revenue sports (or most of them) would need to be cut. That is why football tv revenue is so important this fall.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Civil unrest followed by Marshall Law and Thunderdome style arena events in the near future.
I've wondered whether Marshall Law enforces martial law.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Campbell and Prohm are the type of guys that would be 100% ok with this, though.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I live in a different time-zone and have to make airline and motel arrangements to attend ISU football games, so committing to a football ticket is a little more complicated for me. Right now I'm considering donating the money I spend on travel and lodging to the Cyclone Club, the Foundation and the Alumni Association. That's my way to continue supporting Iowa State if we don't play football and suggest that others consider this possibility.

On another topic, I kindly request that we are clear and precise about how we are treating our staff in the athletic department. As I read Pollard's letter, I'm seeing "freeze" instead of a pay cut. To some, a freeze equals a pay cut, especially if you are the employee that is affected. Saying this is a pay cut may be a narrative our competitors might want spread around. I'm sure they've already thought of it.
That sure reads like a pay cut. Which part says it's only a freeze of pay?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Campbell and Prohm are the type of guys that would be 100% ok with this, though.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a **** here, but Prohm has to know he's at least somewhat on the hot seat, and he has to know that Iowa State's apparent inability to pay his buyout in the event next year goes badly makes his seat a little less hot.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Good job by Pollard trying to get out in front of what could be a problem with lack of funds this fall. But it also underscores, just how close ISU is to going into the red on atheletic funding. Last years report by ESPN showed that ISU was barely in the black. We just do not have the reserves to handle this situation like other schools.

Would be nice to find a rather large booster willing to cough up some major bucks to the program.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron