New Pollard Letter

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Would be interesting to see the department's financial statements. Anyone know where to find them or do they get melded into the overall university?

Found one set that came from FOIA for a couple years ago.
https://localtvwqad.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/fy18-revenue-expense.pdf

Football generated about 11 million in ticket sales that year. 4 mil for basketball (it may not take a hit from COVID, but its looking like it'd be due for a hit anyway with the state of the program)

Another 5 million in contributions

18 million in media rights allocated from football.
5 million in conference distributions for football
1.5 million from concessions

Even assuming they can hold on to the contributions, that totals to over $35 million in lost revenue from no football.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
I want to thank Goody2012 for correcting me regarding the freeze comment. Honestly, I got caught up in the "freeze" word and let it take over my thinking and writing. Goody2012 is correct. The salary reduction is real for certain coaches and staff. The freeze applies to items that affect the fans and ISU supporters. My apologies to the Forum for a flat out wrong statement and thanks for calling that out. I'm even more disposed to contributing to ISU what I would have normally spent on airfare, lodging and car rental because of my sloppy writing.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Good job by Pollard trying to get out in front of what could be a problem with lack of funds this fall. But it also underscores, just how close ISU is to going into the red on atheletic funding. Last years report by ESPN showed that ISU was barely in the black. We just do not have the reserves to handle this situation like other schools.

Would be nice to find a rather large booster willing to cough up some major bucks to the program.
I think we’ll get a really good idea of the state of athletics departments. Many will have no problem due to reserves unless football doesn’t happen. Others will instantly be challenged, many from not being disciplined when the money has been flowing in.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think we’ll get a really good idea of the state of athletics departments. Many will have no problem due to reserves unless football doesn’t happen. Others will instantly be challenged, many from not being disciplined when the money has been flowing in.

I'm not sure what 'reserves' you're talking about? My guess is that no football means no athletics at most schools. The exception in our conference would be Ku which drives athletics with basketball revenue. But even there, the B12 distribution of $39 million last year pretty much goes away without football one would think.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I'm not sure what 'reserves' you're talking about? My guess is that no football means no athletics at most schools. The exception in our conference would be Ku which drives athletics with basketball revenue. But even there, the B12 distribution of $39 million last year pretty much goes away without football one would think.
Not every program lives season to season. Some have money available to help ride out a problem like not getting a conference tournament check. As I specifically stated, Iowa State nor most any program has enough to ride out not having a football season.