sadam

Jan 8, 2014
If anyone’s interested WeBull is running a promotion right now for two free stocks for new accounts opened. First free stock is for simply opening account and second one you get for a minimum of $100 deposit. Free stock values are from $12-$1,400. Pretty much same as Robinhood, I like WeBulls charting better than Robinhood however. If interested use my referral and hook up a fellow cyclone.

https://act.webull.com/i/1dcJxAZ5Bova/hbp/

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Very true. However, those contracts are for 100 shares, and I don't have enough to buy close to 100 shares. I'm only 32, but like the dividend strategy of investing for retirement in my IRA.

I thought you were near retirement. I change my advice, go for growth, you usually lose some total yield with good dividend stocks.

BTW, open an on-line account, it is easy and you don't have to deal with 100 shares at a time and best of all........it's basically free.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Are there any companies that give you discounts or free stuff for owning stock? I know Cruises do but I don't like water and boats enough use it (anybody want a boat, I have a free one with a trailer you can have).

Thinking that would be cool to buy for the kids if they do. Like Wrigleys used to send you gum if you owned stock.

Reactions: khardbored

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I thought you were near retirement. I change my advice, go for growth, you usually lose some total yield with good dividend stocks.

BTW, open an on-line account, it is easy and you don't have to deal with 100 shares at a time and best of all........it's basically free.

I understand what your saying about growth stocks, basically get a growth etf.

But what do you mean you lose yield on dividend stocks?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I understand what your saying about growth stocks, basically get a growth etf.

But what do you mean you lose yield on dividend stocks?

From what I have come across (i don’t specialize in the stock market so take this advice at what you paid for it) companies that pay heavy dividends usually don’t have a large focus on growth so when you add the growth and the dividend together (like a 5% dividend and 3% growth) it doesn’t net you as much in the long run as a company that focuses on growth (they will hit like 9% growth with a 1% dividend).

I generally figure a large dividend pulls cash out of their pockets that they can use to reinvest and grow their company.

Think of a high dividend stock as a balanced or income fund and a growth stock as a growth fund (obviously). The growth funds typically build more long term and the balanced fund will be less risky due to getting a nice payout each quarter or however long.

Reactions: Doc

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
From what I have come across (i don’t specialize in the stock market so take this advice at what you paid for it) companies that pay heavy dividends usually don’t have a large focus on growth so when you add the growth and the dividend together (like a 5% dividend and 3% growth) it doesn’t net you as much in the long run as a company that focuses on growth (they will hit like 9% growth with a 1% dividend).

I generally figure a large dividend pulls cash out of their pockets that they can use to reinvest and grow their company.

Think of a high dividend stock as a balanced or income fund and a growth stock as a growth fund (obviously). The growth funds typically build more long term and the balanced fund will be less risky due to getting a nice payout each quarter or however long.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd have to look at my numbers, but I think my portfolio value has kept pace with the s&p.

Also, the stocks I look for are those that have strong record of increasing their dividends, they're called dividend aristocrats. One criteria to be on the list is 25 straight years of paying and increasing their dividend every year. Reinvest the dividend to buy more stock, and the yield really begins to become noticable, on top of the appreciation of the stock price.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Very true. However, those contracts are for 100 shares, and I don't have enough to buy close to 100 shares. I'm only 32, but like the dividend strategy of investing for retirement in my IRA.

I can understand that.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I can understand that.

On the flip side, anyone could probably take their entire portfolio and figure out the number of puts you need to hedge the portfolio. You could probably get real close on that.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
How about VOO (Vanguard S&P Index), like a weekly purchase to average over the life of the downturn? Buy and hold of course. Looking to take advantage of the downturn but not wanting to put a lot of risk in specific companies.

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
How about VOO (Vanguard S&P Index), like a weekly purchase to average over the life of the downturn? Buy and hold of course. Looking to take advantage of the downturn but not wanting to put a lot of risk in specific companies.
I like VTI better. It is more diversified. But I don’t think you can go wrong with either. https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VTI

Last edited:
Reactions: benjay and bos

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Vanguard has a bunch that are worth a look. VTI is pretty good too. VTI has more stocks at its disposal which helps in times like these but VOO has a slightly higher yield.

Reactions: benjay

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Vanguard has a bunch that are worth a look. VTI is pretty good too. VTI has more stocks at its disposal which helps in times like these but VOO has a slightly higher yield.

So you guys do ETFs over regular funds? Is there a big advantage? I have been buying VTSMX, but maybe should look into the ETF equiv.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
6.6M new jobless claims. And the stock market will probably go up.