Caleb Grill Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I wonder how this factored in

This strikes me as odd. Why would he not have been x rayed for this? My guess is he didn't want to be, told medical staff he was fine, went home and became mommas boy again and she made him go in. Iowa State wouldn't be that irresponsible.

Between tweets like this, caleb transferring and her reaction to CW's grill puns, Lena Grill doesn't seem like she approved of Iowa State much for her boy. Wonder how much of an impact she had on his decision.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
This strikes me as odd. Why would he not have been x rayed for this? My guess is he didn't want to be, told medical staff he was fine, went home and became mommas boy again and she made him go in. Iowa State wouldn't be that irresponsible.

Between tweets like this, caleb transferring and her reaction to CW's grill puns, Lena Grill doesn't seem like she approved of Iowa State much for her boy. Wonder how much of an impact she had on his decision.

Well she still has her profile picture and cover photo in Iowa state clothing. If she disliked Iowa state that much I’d think that would change.

Reactions: CyDude16

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

It was X rayed. No fracture or break on the X ray taken in Ames

Reactions: CyDude16

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I don't know anything about anything here, but between this and Wesley Johnson is it reasonable to wonder why this has happened a couple of times?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Well then someone isn’t telling the truth. I will say there seemed to be some pretty extraordinary circumstances of kids playing through injuries this year. Halliburton wrist, Bolton concussion which was damn near criminal, Grill wrist, Nixon concussion and finally I was surprised that Lewis wasn’t reviewed for a concussion after his head hit the floor hard in the 2nd half against OSU in Kansas City. The Bolton situation is the most concerning because there isn’t a chance in hell that he didn’t have concussion symptoms when he went back in.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well then someone isn’t telling the truth. I will say there seemed to be some pretty extraordinary circumstances of kids playing through injuries this year. Halliburton wrist, Bolton concussion which was damn near criminal, Grill wrist, Nixon concussion and finally I was surprised that Lewis wasn’t reviewed for a concussion after his head hit the floor hard in the 2nd half against OSU in Kansas City. The Bolton situation is the most concerning because there isn’t a chance in hell that he didn’t have concussion symptoms when he went back in.

Nobody is lying here. They found the break/fracture on an MRI back home. They didn't go an MRI here. It's not like anyone thought he was playing injured including Grill and his family

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There's no bad blood between the Grill family and Iowa State

Not what I asked. I'm simply wondering why this has happened two times now. Either way I think it reflects poorly on the medical staff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not what I asked. I'm simply wondering why this has happened two times now. Either way I think it reflects poorly on the medical staff.

Wasn’t Wesley Johnson like 15 years ago? Even if this was somehow the fault of the ISU medical staff what is an acceptable rate of misdiagnosis over a 15 year period?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
All I know is this shows Caleb is a tough kid who gave 100% effort while he was in Cardinal and Gold. It just didn't work our for him in Ames the way he would have liked. Wish him only the best.

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
From my own personal experience (broken my wrist twice, but definitely NOT a doctor), it’s not uncommon for some fractures to not show on x-rays until they’ve calcified - usually a couple of weeks later. This happened the first time I broke my wrist. I didn’t even have much swelling, but the doctor treated it conservatively and casted it for a couple of weeks as a precaution. Sure enough, after we took the cast off, he spotted a hairline fracture.

The second time I broke my wrist, it was really obvious and had to have surgery the next day, but that’s a different story.

Without any inside information, and going off of pure speculation, I’d imagine that Caleb fell on his wrist, x-rays came back negative so, being a tough kid, he gritted it out. Now that he’s gone back home and had it re-examined after its continued to hurt, they found a fracture. Considering he doesn’t need surgery and is only in a cast for 4 weeks, I’d imagine it’s pretty minor.

Sucks for him, and I can understand people questioning the staff, but these things do happen.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Nobody is lying here. They found the break/fracture on an MRI back home. They didn't go an MRI here. It's not like anyone thought he was playing injured including Grill and his family
If it's a stress fracture (which is what I'd expect it to be) it would show up on X-ray until after it had healed. The MRI would should the fracture and the stage of healing it is in.

Reactions: coolmooinlou

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If it's a stress fracture (which is what I'd expect it to be) it would show up on X-ray until after it had healed. The MRI would should the fracture and the stage of healing it is in.

this makes a lot of sense thanks

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
The air was already cleared on this. Stop trying to make more of something that Is not an issue.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

dddd0f36e8d8effff3f4eb379919473b.gif

Reactions: Doc and DurangoCy