Oct 22, 2012
Melvin Ejim
Georges Niang
Monté Morris
Solomon Young

Lindell Wigginton
Cameron Lard

...all started as freshmen.

I would argue the bold ones were on "good" (e.g., NCAA tournament) teams to add to your list of Haliburton and Horton-Tucker from last year.
Matt Thomas too. Although that was same season as Monte, but maybe more impressive because he started the beginning of the season.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought Monte only started a little later in the season once Fred figured out he couldn't keep someone like that off the floor. Although he had Kane in front of him on the PG depth chart so that is tough.

That is right, but Matt Thomas started as a freshman during the non-con. Monte eventually moved Kane to SG and Matt to 7th man.

Matt Thomas too. Although that was same season as Monte, but maybe more impressive because he started the beginning of the season.

This lineup...

Morris
Kane
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

Had the most starts of any combination that season...

upload_2020-3-27_11-39-18.png

I consider the Morris lineup the "definitive" starting lineup from that season.

I know Matt Thomas started the early part of that season, but he was clearly a little overmatched at the time. He needed some time to season.

Morris earned it, and I consider him the "full-time" starter in hindsight for the reason above and for starting during the postseason games.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The odds of landing 4 great transfer/Jucos is astronomical. Prohm has to hit at PG and likely on a wing forward. With the wierd circumstances involved with spring recruiting I'd like to see us bank one as the chance of bad marriages occurring this year are more likely and next year's midseason transfer portal might be very fruitful.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
The odds of landing 4 great transfer/Jucos is astronomical. Prohm has to hit at PG and likely on a wing forward. With the wierd circumstances involved with spring recruiting I'd like to see us bank one as the chance of bad marriages occurring this year are more likely and next year's midseason transfer portal might be very fruitful.
to me very best case scenario is 1 big time transfer, best juco available, 1 average transfer/2nd best juco, best available sit out..

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
This lineup...

Morris
Kane
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

Had the most starts of any combination that season...

View attachment 70914

I consider the Morris lineup the "definitive" starting lineup from that season.

I know Matt Thomas started the early part of that season, but he was clearly a little overmatched at the time. He needed some time to season.

Morris earned it, and I consider him the "full-time" starter in hindsight for the reason above and for starting during the postseason games.

If we’re being pedantic about it, Georges didn’t start until the Kansas game, too. Shrug.

Reactions: heitclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Minimum need 2 Bolton quality transfers to get me excited about next season..

Honestly, Prohm probably get more job security taking a couple sit-out transfers so I could see him wanting to do that since the only senior next year would be Solo

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Minimum need 2 Bolton quality transfers to get me excited about next season..

Honestly, Prohm probably get more job security taking a couple sit-out transfers so I could see him wanting to do that since the only senior next year would be Solo
I'd be fine with him taking 2 (good) sit out guys as long as he gets 2 guys for immediate impact who are VERY good. Plus in the current landscape, the sit out guys may not have to sit out.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
11 pts a game. 21 total 3s in Big 12 play. Nixon had 20 and Jackson had 22 last season. Pretty solid role player, yes.

Yep. Texas Tech probably played at the exact same pace as we do. Mooney was a far better player than Nixon or Jackson. Sure he made 21 3’s but he also shot 35% in the conference and 38% overall. Compared to Tre who shot 33% for the year and Nixon who shot 26%.
He was a better rebounder and defender compared to either of those guys.
Mooney wasn’t a savior but he still was the 3rd best player on the 2nd best team in the country......but he wouldn’t have been able to play on our team.....23-12 and 9-9. Okay.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well we have a pretty good freshman class. Haliburton and THT both started as freshman on a good team.

Nothing wrong with a Freshman coming in and earning a starting job. Problems start when they get them by default.

Absolutely need a PG to move Bolton off ball and Jackson be the spark off the bench. Maybe Walker is Haliburton 2.0 just wouldn't bank on it.

Foster, Blackwell, Dubar any could be the other forward oppo Johnson. I'd just feel better knowing they came in and beat out a D1 experience vet.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I thought Monte only started a little later in the season once Fred figured out he couldn't keep someone like that off the floor. Although he had Kane in front of him on the PG depth chart so that is tough.

he replaced Matt in the lineup. Matt was struggling with his shot at the time, and Monte gave him better chemistry with deandre.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yep. Texas Tech probably played at the exact same pace as we do. Mooney was a far better player than Nixon or Jackson. Sure he made 21 3’s but he also shot 35% in the conference and 38% overall. Compared to Tre who shot 33% for the year and Nixon who shot 26%.
He was a better rebounder and defender compared to either of those guys.
Mooney wasn’t a savior but he still was the 3rd best player on the 2nd best team in the country......but he wouldn’t have been able to play on our team.....23-12 and 9-9. Okay.

Culver
Moretti
Owens
Mooney

Help Support Us

Become a patron