Story from Tyrese Haliburton and Steve Prohm teleconference today

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I saw in mock draft board HB is going 6th overall? That’s awesome. I also didn’t See Luke Garza on the board...translation: Iowa basketball will always be garbage.

All kidding aside, I’d give up my season tickets to have a 4th yr senior with the improvements, game impact, & skill level Garza has, to be on our team next year. I hope Solomon (& George) can take a bigger leap next year, even tho I realize they aren’t the same type players.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Iowa basketball's going to be really good next year if there's a season. A bunch of 3-5th year players is going to be tough in today's college basketball.
I don’t care about Iowa basketball,they will choke towards end of the season and send their senior players to go play overseas somewhere in Cambodia or Afghanistan or wherever, God knows where. I only care about ISU here, so If HB goes in the top 10 even 20 I will be happy, let him go get his money, it’s also good for ISU, it’s good for Coach Prohm whom I have attacked on here not because I hate the man but because the results are not what most of us wanted, so HB going to the NBA high sends a message to the blue chip recruits that a three star recruit developed into a lottery pick(Again like at Murray State..Prohm) yet the 5 stars that went to Duke Kentucky, Ku etc not all of them turned out to be that great anyways. So yeah I Iowa can have the 4 year players, I want one and dones.... that will mean us getting good players and Iowa gets our leftovers. ‍♂️

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t care about Iowa basketball,they will choke towards end of the season and send their senior players to go play overseas somewhere in Cambodia or Afghanistan or wherever, God knows where. I only care about ISU here, so If HB goes in the top 10 even 20 I will be happy, let him go get his money, it’s also good for ISU, it’s good for Coach Prohm whom I have attacked on here not because I hate the man but because the results are not what most of us wanted, so HB going to the NBA high sends a message to the blue chip recruits that a three star recruit developed into a lottery pick(Again like at Murray State..Prohm) yet the 5 stars that went to Duke Kentucky, Ku etc not all of them turned out to be that great anyways. So yeah I Iowa can have the 4 year players, I want one and dones.... that will mean us getting good players and Iowa gets our leftovers. ‍♂️

Ok...let's hope you're not OK with 20 loss seasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

HB? You mean TH?

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-2nd-round.html has Garza at 61 out side the 2021 2nd round. For what it's worth.

Garza's talents unfortunately don't translate to today's NBA game. 20 years ago he would be a lotto pick in a draft where 5 of the top 10 picks were dominant post players in college that season: http://www.espn.com/nba/draft00/index.html At worst he is Chris Mihm in that draft who went #7 overall. In that era that a player like Azubuike at Kansas would be a lock for a top 3 or 5 pick too but now the NBA has gone away from needing to have the big 7 footer at Center that can dominate in the paing and wants a more athletic 5 instead that is more versatile so he is a fringe 1st round prospect in this day of age.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump and Doc

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I saw in mock draft board HB is going 6th overall? That’s awesome. I also didn’t See Luke Garza on the board...translation: Iowa basketball will always be garbage.
This is very surprising to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Haliburton is a well above average player, but I never saw him being a top 10 pick. Everyone will disagree, that is fine, but I don't think he is better than Monte Morris, who was a 2nd round pick. Is the talent level lower than usual for the upcoming draft? Does Haliburton's game translate really well to the NBA? What a I missing?

Anyways... Congrats to the young man. We all enjoyed watching him the past two seasons and now he gets to represent ISU in the draft.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
This is very surprising to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Haliburton is a well above average player, but I never saw him being a top 10 pick. Everyone will disagree, that is fine, but I don't think he is better than Monte Morris, who was a 2nd round pick. Is the talent level lower than usual for the upcoming draft? Does Haliburton's game translate really well to the NBA? What a I missing?

Anyways... Congrats to the young man. We all enjoyed watching him the past two seasons and now he gets to represent ISU in the draft.

Being 6’5 with good athleticism makes TH a more enticing NBA pick.

We could certainly have some good discussions on this board about whether you’d rather have senior Monte or sophomore Haliburton.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

We could certainly have some good discussions on this board about whether you’d rather have senior Monte or sophomore Haliburton.
Nothing against Haliburton, he's great, but give me senior Monte all day long. I wish we could have seen Haliburton with a better supporting cast around him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I love tyrese but of course you’d rather have senior monte.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Nothing against Haliburton, he's great, but give me senior Monte all day long. I wish we could have seen Haliburton with a better supporting cast around him.
Well obviously. That's the point though. He was a senior. What would've senior Haliburton looked like? NBA scouts think they know exactly what a senior Haliburton would look like and that's why they want to draft him now.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

6’5” with a 7’ (!!!!) wingspan. The length, athleticism, and versatility make him a prototypical NBA 3&D guy if nothing else. And yes, the draft class this year is historically bad. There’s no way to know for sure, but if Tyrese stayed and had a great Jr. year, he still might drop out of the lottery.

Reactions: demoncore1031

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
6’5” with a 7’ (!!!!) wingspan. The length, athleticism, and versatility make him a prototypical NBA 3&D guy if nothing else. And yes, the draft class this year is historically bad. There’s no way to know for sure, but if Tyrese stayed and had a great Jr. year, he still might drop out of the lottery.
I was reading that a lot of NBA scouts said Tyrese could have the ability to still be a lotto pick next year, however the injured wrist scares them. It's a delicate injury and if it'd happen again, he'd drop far in the draft next year.

Go get that money Tyrese!

• Agree
Reactions: Pat