Tiger King on netflix

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Watched most of it this weekend and it's hard to believe it's all real. The other crazy thing to me with this show and The Pharmacist which we watched recently, is how much video footage and audio was being taken at the time, years before Netflix, which is now making these documentaries possible. Comparatively, about the only video footage I'm aware of for myself in my adult life is my wedding video and maybe a couple wedding videos that I was a bridesmaid in.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Absolutely crazy. It came together so authentically as they started the documentary just looking at these cat breeders and **** completely hit the fan while they were filming. That makes for pretty compelling stuff.

A few thoughts (SPOILERS INCLUDED):

A) Carole 100% killed her husband. Surely I wasn't the only one that caught her suggesting if you really want to get a tiger to attack someone you use something like sardine oil. Oddly specific...

Also, I can't figure out why what she does is any better than what Joe does. Does it just boil down to the breeding and using cubs for pictures?

B) Joe is undoubtedly a horrible person, but I think he got steamrolled by the legal system. I think he was essentially set up. As far as I could tell there was no evidence of him agreeing to have her killed other than the word of the convicted, meth-addicted, barely competent guy who worked for Joe's partner that was admittedly trying to run him out of the business, right? I'm actually kind of inclined to believe the money changed hands just so he'd go away.

I think the documentary did a nice job pointing out the sheer ridiculousness of him somehow being the only one who wound up in trouble in all this.

C) The best line in the whole show was calling the fat guy "an oversized Chuckie doll". Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

• Winner
Reactions: Drew0311

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Looks to me like anyone who owns tigers has to be crazy. Wish they would have spoke more about the girl from Ames and why she finally got out of it. If your wife has ever made you watch “Sister Wives” this adds wild animal danger, murder, and crazy to the mix.

I know her from high school. Had a big crush on her actually back in the day. She is super interesting. I remember she left for South Carolina to work with big cats but never connected all the dots until I saw the doc. So glad she made it out of that tiger cult without being eaten.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneVet

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
My wife is a higher up at a zoo and watching it with her was interesting. Like someone else mentioned Ol' Carol will might lose some privilege real soon. She is worse than the others in my opinion.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Just started 10 minutes ago....already intriguing. Lots of people interviewed don't seem to have certain limbs so it's only going to get crazier I assume.

It absolutely does. There are way more stories and way more people involved than the trailers lead you to believe.

And as you continue you'll get an answer to your limb statement.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Having lived in OK for 4 years (less than 45 minutes from Wynnewood) I thought it was hilarious. Even the rest of Oklahoma thinks that town is redneck. If anyone caught the PBS special on noodling catfish on IPTV a few years ago that was also filmed in Wynnewood. Also, the true story of Silkwood (old Cher movie) took place there.

I've actually been in that gun shop that was shown in first episode. I commented to my father in law at the time that I've never seen such a big selection of zombie targets and things that blow up when you shoot them.

If nothing else, this story is a sad reminder of how unregulated the exotic animal trade is. Basically outside of a handful of cit or state ordinances there is no oversight.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Joe is a freaking nutjob but will admit it. Carol tries to pretend she's calm and under control of everything in her life....laughs off pretty serious allegations...

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Finished it and happy I did - similar sentiments.

Joe should be in jail, but I would say just about everyone involved should be as well. Jeff is guilty. The informant guy is guilty. Dude that was going to go to Florida to kill Carol is guilty.

Carol is guilty in her own right. She treats the animals the same way they're treated at these small zoo's she has issue with. She took the first shots at Joe making him "Big Cat Enemy Number One."

I just hate Carol because she throws punches then cries victim. Joe took it too far, but Carol started it and was ruthless and relentless about it afterwards.

I don't want to say she killed her husband, but I do hope that this brings more information in the case to light.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
a5afd2c1.png

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't watched it yet, but I've always believed that anyone who owns exotic animals of any kind get what they deserve.

I've never felt one ounce of sadness about anything that happens to them.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Following up on that lovely picture, how weird is Carol's husband? It took me awhile to realize they were married - I just thought he was an incredibly subservient employee and rear end smoocher. What an oddball. Everything he said, no matter how benign, gave me the creeps.

It's crazy how Carol sees herself as some sort of martyr for doing the same thing the other people do. They're all delusional.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron