On to 2021

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Ok boys—it’s time to do this. Some of you know more about these issues than I do, but I’m assuming 1) everyone with eligibility is back; 2) everyone stays healthy; 3) the summer olympics gets kicked to 2021; and 4) we finish strong.

Here goes:

125– Mackall—AA/8th

133–Gomez—AA/5th

141–Parker—AA/4th

149–Degen-National Champion

157–Carr—AA/2d ( undefeated until final match).

165– Who knows —Assume qualifier but no points.

174–Colbray—AA/8th

184–Broderson—Round of 12

197–Coleman—Round of 16

285–GG—AA/7th.

Team finishes 5th.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Been wondering about Gomez, He is going to sit another year? Can't get to 133 and I cannot see him at any other weight being the guy. Any transfers at 165?

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Gomez will never make 133 again. Might as well try 65

Yup. Hope they take a hard look at a transfer.

Degen as NCAA champ is “bold” to put it nicely. Tough to win a title with no go-to offense. And even if next year is an Olympic year he still has Lewallen, Mauller, O’Connor, B. Lee and Sasso to deal with. That’s optimistic to put it nicely.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Yup. Hope they take a hard look at a transfer.

Degen as NCAA champ is “bold” to put it nicely. Tough to win a title with no go-to offense. And even if next year is an Olympic year he still has Lewallen, Mauller, O’Connor, B. Lee and Sasso to deal with. That’s optimistic to put it nicely.

Well, every once in a while we need to aim high and expect greatness. I am predicting he gets healthy and brings the same unbelievable toughness he brought this year. I prefer this kind of thinking to chronic negativism....to put it nicely.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Degen is so much fun to watch, and he's so tough. But shoulders just never seem to get back to 100%. If he can get and stay healthy all year, who knows? He's certainly unorthodox and tough enough to make a run . He deserves a storybook ending, but even as optimistic as I usually am, I can't quite make that leap. I can't think of a single worse injury for the way he wrestles, I'd be stunned if he doesn't aggravate it again.

If Colbray and Coleman can settle in to their weights and show up consistently, and Brodersen is the real deal we could have a real good duel team.

• Funny
Reactions: NEICyFan

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
Has Degen had his surgery or is it still scheduled? Any other members of the team need surgeries?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I would think Carr probably makes the bump to 165. Would it be insane to move Gomez all the way up to 157 if he was truly walking around at ~170 this past summer? He ceiling isn't as high there and it would only exacerbate his issues on bottom, but if you want to get a talented guy on the mat and not have to worry about Gomez weight cutting issues that's a solution.

125: Mackall
133: Small
141: Parker
149: Degen
157: Gomez
165: Carr
174: Colbray
184: Coleman/Broderson
197: Shaprio/Broderson
285: Gremmel

I have a suspicion that Broderson will find his way into the lineup one way or another. He's a super talented kid.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
My best guess at a lineup:

125- Mackall
133- Small (if Gomez can make it back down, great. If not, Todd has another offseason to improve and has a chance to be a R12 caliber wrestler)
141- Parker
149- Degen
157- Carr (also wouldn't surprise me if he goes up to 165)
165- Schumacher, Mulder, or transfer
174- Colbray
184- Broderson
197- Coleman
Hwt- Gremmel

Coleman has to really hit the weights hard this offseason to get up to 197, but he has the height/frame for it. I hope the Gomez can cut for one more season to 133 as that would make our team better overall, but Todd isn't a bad backup option by any means. I hope COVID doesn't affect any off season surgeries (Degen, Carr?) as we need to get healthy. Also hope it doesn't drag on long enough that it affects off season training. I would say best case scenario is a top 5 performance at NCAAs, but would be happy with top 10 as well.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I 100% believe the plan is for Gomez at 133.

I have heard he has been doing much better with weight control and has a plan to get down for next season. My only concern is with COVID- how much will it affect off season training, will the time off hurt his descent plan (also will it hurt Coleman's ability to bulk up/Sammy's weight control, etc).

Reactions: Htowncyfan

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Degen is so much fun to watch, and he's so tough. But shoulders just never seem to get back to 100%. If he can get and stay healthy all year, who knows? He's certainly unorthodox and tough enough to make a run . He deserves a storybook ending, but even as optimistic as I usually am, I can't quite make that leap. I can't think of a single worse injury for the way he wrestles, I'd be stunned if he doesn't aggravate it again.

If Colbray and Coleman can settle in to their weights and show up consistently, and Brodersen is the real deal we could have a real good duel team.
Ehh Gadson had chronic shoulder issues most of his career but was pretty healthy by his senior season and hasn't seemed to have issues since. It can happen. And better shoulders allowed him to get to the top of the podium. And by Schiller, that jerk!

• Agree
Reactions: Htowncyfan

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I agree and was hoping this was the case. Much better for the team. Not sure why everyone thinks it’s impossible for him to get to 33 like he’s never been there before. He will have had all of last season and the upcoming off season to slowly get down. Im sure coaches have already had him on a descent plan for some time. Based off his twitter i think his head is in the right place for him to get there, maintain and be a leader of this team with a few others.

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018

Zero chance he gets to 133... Kid is very talented but obviously didn't do what he needed to do to get to weight in 2019/2020 season. Why expect he would make it a year later? Twitter???.... Given the current situation of the world impacting mat workouts and training...pretty unlikely.

Again, very talented and will do well at any weight he will go but it won't be 133.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Zero chance he gets to 133... Kid is very talented but obviously didn't do what he needed to do to get to weight in 2019/2020 season. Why expect he would make it a year later? Twitter???.... Given the current situation of the world impacting mat workouts and training...pretty unlikely.

Again, very talented and will do well at any weight he will go but it won't be 133.
Zero chance??? Extreme. There are a lot of unknowns as to why he didn't get down this past year. Coaches could have told him his season was over when he got hurt and no point to keep cutting. No one knows how close he was besides the team. My point with social media/twitter is that he was involved in all team travel still to play his role as a leader. He should know how important it is for the team he gets down to weight and do his part leading by example. I think it was a wake up call for him. Mat workouts aren't the only way to cut some pounds either, time will pass and everyone will be able to get back on the mat.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

This is an not a good take. Lots of young wrestlers make similar mistakes after their first year. Whether it is grades slipping or weight get out of control etc. Lots also learn a lesson about offseason discipline from that situation.

I don’t know for sure whether Gomez will or won’t learn his lesson, but he seems like the kind of motivated, determined athlete that I’d put my money on.