Vikings fans...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I read/heard somewhere that there are a projected 40 or so WRs coming to the draft that maybe pro-ready. So given that large of a pool, it will be unlikely that many teams will burn a 1st round choice on WR this year. They can wait until later rounds.

Given the # of WR in the draft, that doesn't bode well for the Vikings being able to get a 1st Rd draft pick for Diggs IMO...especially if he is perceived to have attitude issues.

It's a super deep draft for WR. I've seen Jalen Reagor from TCU going anywhere between 13 and the middle of the second round. If a guy like him or Justin Jefferson is still projected to be on the board by the late first/early second round, you know it's a deep group. Those two can play. Aiyuk from Arizona State and Shenault from Colorado are a couple more who could very well still be available when the second round starts. I think Lamb and Jeudy will be the first ones taken, and probably in the top 15. After that it's anybody's guess, but I'm thinking most teams are going to wait and address other needs in the first round. Ruggs and Reagor could be first rounders because of their ability to stretch the field. Chase Claypool, who was a beast in the bowl game against ISU, could still be sitting there in the third round or later depending on how he performs at the combine.
It's an interesting dynamic - just about everyone could use help at WR, but not everyone will want to invest in one early. Some really good players are going to slide into the second day.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...but-safety-isnt-most-important-position-on-d/

Zimmer doesn't sound too optimistic about bringing Anthony Harris back. What do you guys think? Harris led the league in INTs, but I don't think that's necessarily always the best way to evaluate a safety since a lot of that is just a matter of right place/right time. Big loss, or are you good with another team overpaying for him in FA?
You'll run out of money long before you run out of players you want to pay. The Vikings have a LOT of money sitting on that defense...gotta be able to save money elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You'll run out of money long before you run out of players you want to pay. The Vikings have a LOT of money sitting on that defense...gotta be able to save money elsewhere.

Sure. That's the nature of the salary cap era. Can't keep everyone. I was just curious if Vikings fans agree with Zimmer's assessment that there are higher priorities than safety.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
What do you think of the offense being run this year?

I like seeing Cook play well, but I thought the passing game was gonna be so much better considering the weapons - Cook out of the backfield, Thielen, Diggs, Rudy etc.

Does anyone else worry that Diggs is going to ask to be traded due to lack of targets?
They need a better #3 wide receiver. And, in my opinion both Theilen and Diggs are not true #1 elite receivers. But are close. They need both of them playing at a high level. It always seems one has it going on for large stretches but the other doesn't.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Sure. That's the nature of the salary cap era. Can't keep everyone. I was just curious if Vikings fans agree with Zimmer's assessment that there are higher priorities than safety.
As it sits right now, Jesus Christ himself could be playing safety next year and I'm not sure it'd matter. The corners are going to be awful.

They need a better #3 wide receiver. And, in my opinion both Theilen and Diggs are not true #1 elite receivers. But are close. They need both of them playing at a high level. It always seems one has it going on for large stretches but the other doesn't.
Bisi Johnson is a serviceable 3rd receiver. The problems on offense start and basically end with the OL. Diggs and Thielen are both studs. They disappear quickly though when Cousins can't be kept upright.

Vikings have to decide first and foremost if Cousins is the future (all indications at this point indicate yes). If he isn't, suddenly signing Dalvin Cook gets easier while you groom a QB this year. If he isn't, you also put a ton of draft capital into the OL so your 2nd year QB next year has help. If he is however you have a massive salary cap issue that means players like Cook, Harris, etc. can't all be resigned.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Not surprised about Rhodes.
Is there any update on the Vikes trying to resign the two DL they've now released?
Sounds like they’re more interested in re-signing Rhodes at this point.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Damn, Linval still plays at a high level. Hope they re-sign him for less money. They can bring back Rhodes if he will sign for a lot less. Their cap situation is a complete mess so that could be what they are trying to do. I would just cut Rhodes outright and draft a corner.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I would prefer if they use the money from Rhodes and Linval to help re-sign Anthony Harris. Hate to lose a young talented safety. Harrison is getting up there in age so it would be nice to have someone to build around for the future.

Linval is also getting old and they have some decent younger DTs. Also sounds like the draft this year is a deep one for DT so they should be able to grab a good young one there who can eat up the middle like Linval did. And frankly, the Vikes weren't good against the run this year so it might be time for a mix up.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I would prefer if they use the money from Rhodes and Linval to help re-sign Anthony Harris. Hate to lose a young talented safety. Harrison is getting up there in age so it would be nice to have someone to build around for the future.

Linval is also getting old and they have some decent younger DTs. Also sounds like the draft this year is a deep one for DT so they should be able to grab a good young one there who can eat up the middle like Linval did. And frankly, the Vikes weren't good against the run this year so it might be time for a mix up.

The only FA they should be worried about resigning is Harris. Guy is going to be a complete stud. **** Rhoades, Joseph

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The only FA they should be worried about resigning is Harris. Guy is going to be a complete stud. **** Rhoades, Joseph

And really, with how green the CBs are going to be next year, I would much rather have 2 stud safeties backing them up.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Anthony Harris gets the franchise tag.

I'm conflicted. It's great to have Harris back for another year, but it comes with 2-3 years tied to Cousins. There probably wasn't going to be much better options, but I'm curious whether Bridgewater was contacted. He seemed to leave on good terms, and played really well for Orleans.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr