Vikings fans...

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think this is the offense Zimmer has always wanted. I don't think they're going to trade anybody. Having those weapons helps open up the running game.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think these first Vikings games showed just about as much about their offense as the first two Iowa State games showed about ISU’s offense.

• Optimistic

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I love the offense they put on the field today. Keeps pressure off of Cousins and doesn't require him to find a groove and carry the team. Both Cook and Mattison have been excellent so far, and the run blocking is creating holes for them both (the pass pro still hasn't been great, in the other hand...) -- let them keeping doing their thing. The team needs to make sure they trust their run game and be willing to lean on it, even when playing from behind.

That said, the offense did well with Cousins today. He killed it on designed rollouts and some play action. Pretty easy work for him on PA when the opposing defense can't afford to risk Cook getting free. Cousins can and will pick apart a defense, given time to do so -- our WRs/TEs are definitely good enough to help out there.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Zimmer doesn’t want to rely on Cousins to win him games. Unfortunately, he’s getting paid like someone who can carry a team if needed.

I’m fine with the offense as is. It’s just telling to me that Zimmer wants to limit the attempts for his “star” QB.
At the end of the day, 1.) The money is already sunk, and 2.) You run your offense through whoever can win the game for you. At this point, Cook is that guy, with Cousins in a supporting role...instead of the other way around.

It hasn't just been Cousins, either. Zimmer has always been run-first, but it was very pronounced/problematic last season.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
At the end of the day, 1.) The money is already sunk, and 2.) You run your offense through whoever can win the game for you. At this point, Cook is that guy, with Cousins in a supporting role...instead of the other way around.

It hasn't just been Cousins, either. Zimmer has always been run-first, but it was very pronounced/problematic last season.

Agreed. My point was that hindsight being 20/20, we could’ve spent much less on a QB for the same output as Cousins and spent that money on the OL or somewhere else.

It’s a pointless argument though. The Vikings have Cousins for two more years. He’s an above average QB who is unlikely to take the team on his shoulders. But he is capable enough to support the cast around him and result in a solid season. Hopefully they can parlay that into some post season success.

• Optimistic

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Does anyone else worry that Diggs is going to ask to be traded due to lack of targets?

Not at all. Diggs re-signed with the Vikings for FIVE years when his stock was the highest it probably will ever be and Minnesota didn’t have a QB.

There’s a reason current players keep re-signing with the Vikings and it has to do with current coaches and the front office, much to the chagrin of Vikings fans. Diggs, Thielen, Barr and Rudolph have all signed team friendly deals to stay in Minnesota when they could have earned way more elsewhere.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Agreed. My point was that hindsight being 20/20, we could’ve spent much less on a QB for the same output as Cousins and spent that money on the OL or somewhere else.

It’s a pointless argument though. The Vikings have Cousins for two more years. He’s an above average QB who is unlikely to take the team on his shoulders. But he is capable enough to support the cast around him and result in a solid season. Hopefully they can parlay that into some post season success.
If not Cousins, it would have been Keenum, Bradford, or Teddy. None of those are an upgrade from Cousins. Not even with a little bit better O-line.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just like our Clones, this week's opponent made our offense look better than it will in future weeks.

Cook is a stud, but Cousins is going to need to win some games with his arm. I liked the time that he had today. If we can keep that protection level up, he can make some nice throws if he needs to.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I tend to agree, but at the time, Cousins appeared to be the right move. Fortunately, the OL personnel and scheme changes this season appear to be working. Knowing that helps soften the "use that money elsewhere" blow a little bit. Progress has clearly been made, that's a start.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Not at all. Diggs re-signed with the Vikings for FIVE years when his stock was the highest it probably will ever be and Minnesota didn’t have a QB.

There’s a reason current players keep re-signing with the Vikings and it has to do with current coaches and the front office, much to the chagrin of Vikings fans. Diggs, Thielen, Barr and Rudolph have all signed team friendly deals to stay in Minnesota when they could have earned way more elsewhere.
I completely agree, but I worry that Diggs may end up wanting to go somewhere else where he can put up the big numbers that he has in the past with Minnesota. I think he only has 5 or 6 catches on the year so far, which would put him on pace for about 35. His career low is 52, and last year he had 102 and was over 1,000 yards.

A LOT of players are selfish and want to be the superstar. I'm not saying that is Diggs, but I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go to a pass heavy team where he can put up the numbers like he had last year.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I tend to agree, but at the time, Cousins appeared to be the right move. Fortunately, the OL personnel and scheme changes this season appear to be working. Knowing that helps soften the "use that money elsewhere" blow a little bit. Progress has clearly been made, that's a start.

Yeah, agreed. I don't lament signing Cousins at all. The Vikings needed a QB and he was the top one on the market. The narrative back then was that he was an elite QB that was being held back by a terrible supporting cast and organization. Turns out he's just an average to above-average QB. Certainly not worth the money he's getting paid. However, he is much better than what many teams have. With the supporting cast he has in Minnesota, as long as he doesn't lose them games like he did in GB, they should have a good season.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If not Cousins, it would have been Keenum, Bradford, or Teddy. None of those are an upgrade from Cousins. Not even with a little bit better O-line.

Agreed. Based on his production to date, those would likely be lateral moves from a performance standpoint, but for far less money. Again, I don't blame them for signing Cousins at all and I'm not trying to armchair quarterback the whole thing. They went out and got the top FA QB at the time and I applauded the signing at the time. In hindsight, it turns out Cousins is just an average QB. They could do a lot worse, for sure, but they could also have gotten the same production for far less money.

I don't blame them one bit, more just analyzing the situation with the benefit of 1.25 seasons worth of data on Cousins post-Washington.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The biggest issue with Cousins is less with the way he throws the ball and the fact that his pocket presence is below average and he fumbles what feels like every single time he gets touched in the back field.

As an actual passer, I don't really have too many complaints. But he puts the ball on the ground more than any professional player I've watched this closely. If he's going to take this team anywhere, he has to be able to take a sack without fumbling.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Kurttr

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron