An Honest Proposa

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Ok well— I’m at least part serious about this. And am writing this at great risk of retaliation of many kinds— especially from the hypersensitive political correctness crowd. But how about, in an effort to at least TRY, we come up with a plan to make NCAA’s happen. Here is a start:

1. The NCAA waits until Sunday evening to monitor the state of COVID-19 and its potential impact.

2. If its still a go on Sunday, all wrestlers, coaches, teammates, officials etc drive ( and not fly) to the event. This is different from basketball in that everyone goes to one location only and does not necessarily have to go to airports and get on planes.

3. No fans in the stadium. Essential participants only.

4. The teams make efforts to stay segregated and away from others in the hotels and at the stadiums except when wrestlers are on the mat. Even better if this can be mandatory.

5. Put in place an uber-cleaning plan under which mats, locker rooms etc are continually sanitized.

6. Train all supervisory officials and referees on the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and have a testing location pre-arranged for anyone who show the symptoms.

7. The NCAA continually monitors the situation as new info about COVID-19 comes in.

8. All teams and wrestlers have the opportunity to opt out with no reprisal

I know, I know, many flaws in this. But come on now...we are WRESTLING FANS Let’s at least give it a shot!

That’s my piece on this. Let the bashing begin.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Too much financial risk for the NCAA and the individual schools to have it take place.

Nice enthusiasm, but as you said, there are flaws in your proposal and the institutions involved can't bear those risks.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I can't imagine many people are itching to get on a mat and roll with another person right now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ok well— I’m at least part serious about this. And am writing this at great risk of retaliation of many kinds— especially from the hypersensitive political correctness crowd. But how about, in an effort to at least TRY, we come up with a plan to make NCAA’s happen. Here is a start:

1. The NCAA waits until Sunday evening to monitor the state of COVID-19 and its potential impact.

2. If its still a go on Sunday, all wrestlers, coaches, teammates, officials etc drive ( and not fly) to the event. This is different from basketball in that everyone goes to one location only and does not necessarily have to go to airports and get on planes.

3. No fans in the stadium. Essential participants only.

4. The teams make efforts to stay segregated and away from others in the hotels and at the stadiums except when wrestlers are on the mat. Even better if this can be mandatory.

5. Put in place an uber-cleaning plan under which mats, locker rooms etc are continually sanitized.

6. Train all supervisory officials and referees on the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and have a testing location pre-arranged for anyone who show the symptoms.

7. The NCAA continually monitors the situation as new info about COVID-19 comes in.

8. All teams and wrestlers have the opportunity to opt out with no reprisal

I know, I know, many flaws in this. But come on now...we are WRESTLING FANS Let’s at least give it a shot!

That’s my piece on this. Let the bashing begin.

I don't think you'll find any wrestling fans who aren't with you on wishing there was a way to make it work, and I think you have solid points. Still too much risk. If we hadn't dragged our feet so badly on testing and had a more clear picture on the scope of this whole deal, there's a chance we wouldn't be where we are.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I don't think you'll find any wrestling fans who aren't with you on wishing there was a way to make it work, and I think you have solid points. Still too much risk. If we hadn't dragged our feet so badly on testing and had a more clear picture on the scope of this whole deal, there's a chance we wouldn't be where we are.
The problem with this virus is that data is showing that the latent period is up to 14 or even 24 days. Many are not showing symptoms until carrying the virus for a week. If they waited to test patients once they have symptoms, they may have already shared the virus with dozens or hundreds of people during that time. Those number of effected people then snowballs! I don't see how it would have been possible to test every individual in the US. I can agree that any additional testing done sooner would have possibly helped to "flatten the curve".

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I really wish it was possible but if there is one sport that shouldn't be happening right now, it's wrestling.

It's not about the wrestlers themselves - who are all in the very low risk pools of people even if they do catch it. It's about all the people they come in contact with (and same for all the other people involved like officials and workers). Which is why step one was just saying no fans and honestly if that NBA player hadn't tested positive for it yesterday I think they would have gone ahead with that plan, but that spooked everybody.

Which is why I say US Bank stadium is a big place. Hold the tourney and then lock them in for a month.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Which is why I say US Bank stadium is a big place. Hold the tourney and then lock them in for a month.

I like it. Sounds like a solid plan.
FEMA set people up in stadiums and such post-Katrina.
How do we draft up a formal proposal to the NCAA?