DSJ Pre Big 12s Press Conference

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere - update on Small and Carr in here

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Guessing you are implying that DSJ didn’t get you excited. I’m glad he wasn’t sugar coating everything and told us how it is. IMHO he’s the best coach in our room.

Reactions: jmb1498

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Guessing you are implying that DSJ didn’t get you excited. I’m glad he wasn’t sugar coating everything and told us how it is. IMHO he’s the best coach in our room.
He better be one of the best room coaches in the country then because our recruiting efforts have been absolutely horrendous..

Reactions: Scott34

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
I highly doubt DSJ is the reason we aren’t landing big name recruits. I suspect that our 57 year old head coach relating to 16-17 year old kids is a much bigger issue.

Wow how is that an issue? Should the Hawks be concerned with their OLD coaches at 51???

Some people just always have to complain about the current coach...

• Winner
Reactions: jmb1498 and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I highly doubt DSJ is the reason we aren’t landing big name recruits. I suspect that our 57 year old head coach relating to 16-17 year old kids is a much bigger issue.

I don't like you and question if you're an Iowa State fan. That is all

• Funny
Reactions: csteve

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
I don't like you and question if you're an Iowa State fan. That is all

WOW thanks!!! I have seen an interview or read one where Dresser actually addresses that he has difficulties relating to kids that he is recruiting. But I guess since I call it like I see it and don’t look at everything through cardinal and gold glasses that makes me less of a fan.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
FWIW I love interviewing with St. John. He might not be a super colorful coach but he's very insightful and straightforward. He isn't going to ******** you or beat around the bush or give you rehearsed answers.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I respectfully disagree.

Virginia Tech volunteer assistant coach Mike Zadick, a Great Falls native and former Hawkeyes wrestler, tutored Degen at various camps.
You are correct , I should have said he was one of the reasons as Degen stated he wanted to stay with those two. Should not have left Zadick out . I stand partially corrected .

• Friendly
Reactions: farm85

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
FWIW I love interviewing with St. John. He might not be a super colorful coach but he's very insightful and straightforward. He isn't going to ******** you or beat around the bush or give you rehearsed answers.
You still need to ask him about not being on social media. It is such a great recruiting tool and he apparently refuses to use the easiest recruiting tool.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
You still need to ask him about not being on social media. It is such a great recruiting tool and he apparently refuses to use the easiest recruiting tool.

I don't mind that hes not. If he was the head coach I'd think otherwise.
It's his personality and also plays into why he was as good as he was. Doesn't get caught up in it.

Recruit the kids that work with the coaches.

Reactions: Sturge34

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I have talked to Derek many times. Soft spoken, but hard not to like!

I look at the number of wrestlers that stick it out when they know they probably aren't going to start. In the past, about 2 years at most and the walk ons quit; there seems to be a higher number staying with the program now. I attribute that to the staff.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016

I did ask him and I got a really great answer that made me like him that much more. I only spent a half hour with him so I am waiting to do another interview to get more time with him. I think I want to do something bigger. I will tweet that specific quote so you can see it now instead of waiting for me to write the piece!

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Funny, I thought DSJ handled the presser pretty well. Maybe I'm just used to how he speaks. I thought he gave great answers and I appreciated his honesty and insight. Not much different than Nick Saben and much better than Belichick. As others have already pointed out I'm very excited with how all of our wrestlers are showing improvement... That's the most important reflection of the coaches in my opinion.

As far as Dresser being too old and not relating: I wonder if Nick Saben or Tom Izzo can't recruit or coach because they are too old and can't relate. Maybe Dresser can't relate, but the team definitely responded to his honest, tough love approach when he called them out. I'll predict that if we continue to improve and exceed expectations, that will solve future recruiting issues.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
As far as Dresser being too old and not relating: I wonder if Nick Saben or Tom Izzo can't recruit or coach because they are too old and can't relate. Maybe Dresser can't relate, but the team definitely responded to his honest, tough love approach when he called them out. I'll predict that if we continue to improve and exceed expectations, that will solve future recruiting issues.
Right on. WINNING brings recruits.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012

Didn’t say he couldn’t recruit, just said that he has a hard time relating to the kids he’s recruiting and has said that publicly. Dresser has yet to coach a national champion and you are comparing him to Saben and Izzo. I absolutely think dresser is the right guy for our program but calling out DSJ’s recruiting because of no social media and lack of emotion is silly.

Help Support Us

Become a patron