Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I started using Millorganite last year because of all of the good feedback on it and plan on using it again this year. I saw a person mention Pennington pre-emergent. Any other recommendations for just pre-emergent?

I like Milorganite but it is super expensive now that it got super popular, when you compare the nitrogen content to synthetic fertilizers. Keep in mind that the typical analysis on milorganite is like 6-4-0. That means you're lawn can eventually build up too much phosphorus over the course of a couple seasons. There are other issues with excess phosphorus getting into our waterways. If you've been using it more than two seasons, I'd recommend a soil test to check levels. Some county extension offices will do a simple soil test for very little money or sometimes free.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I started using Millorganite last year because of all of the good feedback on it and plan on using it again this year. I saw a person mention Pennington pre-emergent. Any other recommendations for just pre-emergent?

Any brand of pre-emergent is fine for the most part including store brands. Look for prodiamine or dithiopyr as the active ingredient. Both work well. There are a couple of other relatively common pre-emergents but stick with prodiamine or dithiopry. Almost all pre-emergent sold at big box stores has nitrogen fertilizer in them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but putting out that nitrogen too early is a waste.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Neighbor put his down on Saturday. Neighbor is also the guy that rakes the snow piles out and onto the street so they melt faster. He also mows it so low you can see where the blade rotations on top of the ground.

Going to overseed my yard in the next couple of weeks also.
Is middle of March a good time to be overseeding? Only 2nd spring in our house. Backyard is thin so planning on overseeding.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Is middle of March a good time to be overseeding? Only 2nd spring in our house. Backyard is thin so planning on overseeding.

Can you wait until Sept. 1st to seed? Do you have irrigation? If you have at least 50% grass, I'd take great care of it through the summer, including fertilizer, pre-emergent etc. and wait until September 1st to seed.

Reactions: khardbored

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

I'd be more worried about weeds in the spring than establishing turf through over seeding. Save that for August thru October when you've got weeds concurred and the summer heat is over.

Unless you have sprinklers or like to dump a lot of water onto your turf. Then you can start seeding 6-8 weeks after you put down the pre emergent

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I just bought a bunch from Home Depot for $17 a bag. It was hard to find last year. I like that it doesnt burn out my grass if it doesnt rain or I dont water at the right time after applying. Its safe for the kids and the pets. Also its high in iron which really greens things up.
Just an FYI, mills fleet farm has it for $10 a bag in case you would like to return it and save some money. I am not sure if there is one in Cedar Rapids though.

Reactions: Ryan4069

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I believe this source is soil temps at a depth of 4 inches. Crabgrass and other weeds typically germinate in the top inch or so of soil, so although this is a useful tool, I don't believe it's optimized for turf grass management.

I apply my crabgrass pre-emergent when forsythia bushes are in bloom.

• Agree
Reactions: nocsious3

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Reactions: nocsious3

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Do you think we are about a week or two out from being able to seed?

I'm seeding now. If it dies in the frost I'll seed some more. Seed is relatively cheap for small areas. I had a new driveway poured in December, and the grass was ruined to make room for concrete forms. Crabgrass prevent and seeding don't mix.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron