Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Pella went on a 24-2 run to end the game... I hope Xavier Foster lives up to the hype but there is no way with a chance to go to state, a big time recruit is shut down the last quarter of a game. Especially in 3A... I don't care if it's lack of motivation or what. Doesn't really look good.

I was at the game, Oskaloosa had a lead and Foster was doing all he could to keep them in it. Pella went to some 3/4 court pressure defense and the Oskaloosa guards could not handle the pressure, let alone get the ball to him. They went about 5 min without scoring. Game over.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I was at the game, Oskaloosa had a lead and Foster was doing all he could to keep them in it. Pella went to some 3/4 court pressure defense and the Oskaloosa guards could not handle the pressure, let alone get the ball to him. They went about 5 min without scoring. Game over.

There is absolutely no place on this website for you and your facts.

I mean, all you did was actually watch the game in person, and see how it played out. You didn’t read about it, and formulate an opinion based on your utter disdain for the coach that recruited him.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I don't think people get how hard it is for a big man to carry a team. As a 6'10" future 1st round pick, I'm pretty sure Loren Meyer couldn't even win his conference or get to a sub-state game in the smallest class in HS basketball.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The Foster/Born debate was ended at 0:26 in that video.

Is there really even a debate? There's one guy on here who is irate we didn't sign Born. Probably his uncle or something. There's also a UNI fan who is unable to talk about UNI on a UNI message board, as they don't exist because who the hell cares that much about a Valley school, so he comes here instead.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Isaiah Austin was going to be taken in the middle of the first round until he was forced to retire because of a condition.. If Xavier Foster ends up being like him, I'd take that any day of the week lol.
Marfan’s Syndrome. Abe Lincoln had it also.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

There is a lot of dumb in this thread. And even more dumb lately, because Xavier had a bad game. It happens. Xavier was the only legit kid Osky had this yr. If you can't see a legit 7' with a pure shooting stroke then I can't help you.

There are a ton of folks that think Foster is a 5. Nope he is a stretch 4.

Foster is legit. UNI and their jealous (purple Hawk ilk) can try to convince folks that Foster made a mistake, but UNI can have Born and Henry. UNI sucks, purple Hawks are the worst and we will see what happens next yr

Personally I think any jackass that thinks Cole Henry is better than Foster should be banned

giphy.gif

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Isaiah Austin was going to be taken in the middle of the first round until he was forced to retire because of a condition.. If Xavier Foster ends up being like him, I'd take that any day of the week lol.
He was one of those draft based on potential guys to a T. I was never that impressed with him and didn't really have respect for his game being as big as he was. Terrible about the eye condition though, the guy definitely had some money to make.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He was one of those draft based on potential guys to a T. I was never that impressed with him and didn't really have respect for his game being as big as he was. Terrible about the eye condition though, the guy definitely had some money to make.

I would take him any day of the week as a center for ISU. Kid was a good college player. Not dominant but then again he was only a sophomore when he left.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would take him any day of the week as a center for ISU. Kid was a good college player. Not dominant but then again he was only a sophomore when he left.
Yeah I'd take him now. At the time, we were good, and Scott Drew was getting all the top ranked recruits to Baylor somehow. Austin was a top 50 guy if I recall, had all the hype in the world, and always seemed to be underperforming relatively speaking, so I think that had a lot to do with my opinion formulation at the time. But now, yes for sure I'd take him in a heartbeat.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Isaiah Austin averaged 13 and 6 and was a top 5 shot blocker in the conference as a freshman

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't think people get how hard it is for a big man to carry a team. As a 6'10" future 1st round pick, I'm pretty sure Loren Meyer couldn't even win his conference or get to a sub-state game in the smallest class in HS basketball.

He averaged like 40 points and 20 rebounds a game his senior year. And did not get to the state tournament.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Yeah I'd take him now. At the time, we were good, and Scott Drew was getting all the top ranked recruits to Baylor somehow. Austin was a top 50 guy if I recall, had all the hype in the world, and always seemed to be underperforming relatively speaking, so I think that had a lot to do with my opinion formulation at the time. But now, yes for sure I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Isaiah Austin was a top 5 recruit in the 2012 class. He averaged 13 and 6 as a freshmen at Baylor. If you read 247's scouting report on Austin it sounds very much like how one would describe Foster's game. Austin had a better handle and was a more explosive athlete than Foster imo. It'll be up to the coaching staff to figure out how to utilize Foster in space much like Baylor's staff did with Austin.

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Austin-1205/high-school-3885/

He would of been a lottery pick if not for his health condition.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Isaiah Austin was a top 5 recruit in the 2012 class. He averaged 13 and 6 as a freshmen at Baylor. If you read 247's scouting report on Austin it sounds very much like how one would describe Foster's game. Austin had a better handle and was a more explosive athlete than Foster imo. It'll be up to the coaching staff to figure out how to utilize Foster in space much like Baylor's staff did with Austin.

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Austin-1205/high-school-3885/

He would of been a lottery pick if not for his health condition.
Yeah he regressed a bit as a sophomore. Probably had a little to do with his health condition I'd imagine. If Xavier can come in next year and average in the neighborhood of 13 and 6, I guess I'd want my initial comment redacted

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah he never developed into the player he was going to be, and I think a lot of that had to do with his condition. NBA scouts liked him a lot and was going to be a bit of a project, but that whole process got cut short.

If Xavier produces at the level he did, we will be a tough team to guard next year. Like Austin, Foster isn't going to have to put up a ton of points to be a huge factor. He impacts the game in several ways by being so versatile offensively and a tremendous shot blocker. With Foster and Conditt next year, we're going to have a very very good duo of shot blockers.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Raef Lafrentz is the greatest high school basketball player in the history of the state and while he made it to state 3 years, he never won a state title, heck he never even played for one. He was 1st team HS All American, MC D's all american, team USA member, 2 time NCAA all american, 3rd overall pick in the NBA draft and he played 2A ball in Iowa.

As far as Xavier, he didn't need to prove to anyone that his team could win state this year. Getting more comfortable playing on the perimeter and working on that part of his game were far more important. He wasn't going to change anything about his college prospects by having a successful season. I'm 100% certain in any discussion with Xavier about what he would like to see him work on, Prohm never once discussed the 3A tourney. Honestly, a player like him is already looking at what he would need to improve to be an NBA player. Working on those parts of his game will have him much more prepared for the Big 12 than bullying 6'2 kids on block just so his team could win more games.

That's the difference between him and kids like Born and Henry. They both needed to play they way they play to even get the attention of college programs. Xavier is like 3 or 4 steps ahead of that, he's already developing his game beyond what got him on the radar of college coaches.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Yeah he regressed a bit as a sophomore. Probably had a little to do with his health condition I'd imagine. If Xavier can come in next year and average in the neighborhood of 13 and 6, I guess I'd want my initial comment redacted

13 and 6 is a massive impact for a freshman in the Big 12. This year there are currently two freshmen in the entire league averaging more than 10 points per game - Jahmi'us Ramsey and Oscar Tshiebwe. Both were also blue chip recruits and both will be onto the NBA this year or next.

A reasonable expectation and successful freshman season for Foster would probably be something like 8-10 ppg and 4 rpg coupled with a shot blocking presence on D.