Matt Thomas excelling in Toronto...

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Haven't seen many posts on this but Matt is doing his "Matt" thing in Toronto. Played 15 minutes in a win vs Indiana last week and had 17 points. . Calling him "Mr 99% on twitter might say it all. Just a pedestrian 5-7 from three and 6-8 overall. Now shooting over 50% from three on the year!

I know his teammates love him as an addition this year, and they expect big things from him in defense of their title... Catch him on TNT tonight as they face their rival Bucks at 6:30.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Wish he would get more playing time in the main part of the game. Looks like he got some good 4th quarter minutes. Glad he is making the best of it when he get's in.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
i believe it was one of his first games back after breaking a finger and being out for 15+ games. Expect his playing time will increase as they get closer to the playoffs....

I hope so. Typically an NBA rotation shortens up in the postseason. He's got some ground to make up if he's going to crack it.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Pat and srjclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Haven't seen many posts on this but Matt is doing his "Matt" thing in Toronto. Played 15 minutes in a win vs Indiana last week and had 17 points. . Calling him "Mr 99% on twitter might say it all. Just a pedestrian 5-7 from three and 6-8 overall. Now shooting over 50% from three on the year!

I know his teammates love him as an addition this year, and they expect big things from him in defense of their title... Catch him on TNT tonight as they face their rival Bucks at 6:30.

FYI - They do a pretty good job of keeping up with all of our former Cyclones - including Matt - in the Cyclones in the NBA thread.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Just watched the video. I swear he's always had a thing for bouncy 3s that go in.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just watched the video. I swear he's always had a thing for bouncy 3s that go in.
Shooters roll is a real thing. Flat shots have a way smaller chance of going in on the bounce than high arcing shots because they tend to glance off. Shots with an imperfect back spin (twisting somewhat to the left or right) also have a decreased chance since an on line shot will tend to bounce away to the left or right rather than in. Matt shoots with excellent form and a high arc.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It doesn't seem that long ago that I was struggling to get a video feed of one of his high school tournament games. Hard to believe that is pushing a decade ago now.

• Agree
Reactions: isu_oak

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
I hope so. Typically an NBA rotation shortens up in the postseason. He's got some ground to make up if he's going to crack it.

I have a tiny bit of insight with a Raptors player. All I can say is Matt should definitely get his (deserving) minutes going forward...;)

Reactions: VeloClone