Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't live in Minneapolis but I've had a lot of Pizza Luce. It's good drunk food but Black Sheep is better.
Also, with your connection to the Halloween Capital of the World, there's been a lot of talk lately about a BBQ place named Jellybean and Julia's.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also, with your connection to the Halloween Capital of the World, there's been a lot of talk lately about a BBQ place named Jellybean and Julia's.
Where is that one? All I can think of is the one just before you cross the river on 169. But that is on the wrong side of the river. I can't think of the name but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Q Fanatic.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Where is that one? All I can think of is the one just before you cross the river on 169. But that is on the wrong side of the river. I can't think of the name but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Q Fanatic.

Haven't had it yet. The in-laws don't venture south of 10. Smokey's Pub N' Grill is more their style.
It's just barely south of 10. It's west of 169 (I guess it's south of 169 too). It's in an old strip mall near the cemetery, used tire shop, and ski and skate store (that's a whole lot of Anoka in that sentence).

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is that the Cedar Lake trail or another? Why is it closed? SW light rail? I used to bike in to work regularly on those trails when I lived in Hopkins.

Yeah, Cedar Trail between Hopkin's depot and Lake of the Isles, closed for a couple of years for the light rail construction. Totes destroyed all of my in city long loops.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If your metabolism is indeed changing I wouldn't count on 2.5-3 per week. I used to be able to eat anything and if I needed to could drop 3 lbs. in a week easy. Now it isn't anywhere that easy.

My next step needs to be some weight training. My core and upper body are disgraceful.

That is what has helped when I’ve gotten serious, I usually have a solid core. I blame my metabolism for my weight gain, (it’s my eating and work out habits I know but I feel better when I say metabolism) more to sound better.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa Public Television running John Denver docu. between begging for money instead of showing the Iowa High School Wrestling champoinships.....which has been moved to that new Iowa High School Sports network. Sign o' the Times I guess.

All high school sports championships should be on IPTV or at least some type OTA TV. The selling the boys championships to that group out of Chicago was just silly IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
All high school sports championships should be on IPTV or at least some type OTA TV. The selling the boys championships to that group out of Chicago was just silly IMO.
Sometimes the prospect of (more) money leads people to do dumb things.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Car troubles--check engine light came on last week, and took into a Tires Plus because the dealerships were booked and a mechanic/shop I used to rely on didn't really fix an issue I had last fall with a rough idle/shaking, which never went away.

They found oil on the ignition coils so they were replaced along with repairing the valve cover gasket.

Got the keys back after throwing down a hefty chunk of change, and the shaking/rough idle was actually worse.

Went back without even leaving the parking space, and long story short it's now an issue with the head gasket, which requires all sorts of steps to get it fixed, and more than twice what I originally went in for.

They're checking on some estimates but all I've read is it's pretty accurate and driving will only make things worse or at least not feel safe.

I hate cars.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Seeing the halftime score of 35-25 KU vs Oklahoma State, I decided to watch a good game. Turned on ESPN, but I didn’t find a good game. Really shouldn’t have expected one with the game at Kansas.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thankfully that is done. The wrestling finals were streamed and paid for by mid american energy.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Car troubles--check engine light came on last week, and took into a Tires Plus because the dealerships were booked and a mechanic/shop I used to rely on didn't really fix an issue I had last fall with a rough idle/shaking, which never went away.

They found oil on the ignition coils so they were replaced along with repairing the valve cover gasket.

Got the keys back after throwing down a hefty chunk of change, and the shaking/rough idle was actually worse.

Went back without even leaving the parking space, and long story short it's now an issue with the head gasket, which requires all sorts of steps to get it fixed, and more than twice what I originally went in for.

They're checking on some estimates but all I've read is it's pretty accurate and driving will only make things worse or at least not feel safe.

I hate cars.

Head gasket? Yeah, don't drive it. That can mess it up bad.

BTW, need a car? I gotta get rid of mom's.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks to @NWICY for the tickets yesterday! Overall it was a good day despite the kids being kids and a crappy call at the end.

On the way over MrsWx posted a picture on Instagram of George Conditt and LittleWx from last year saying "I hope we will see you today" He responded that he can't make it but how about two tickets for the TCU game. Awesome other than the weather thing. He only has two tickets available so I figure well we won't be able to make it due to snow anyway.

Well now they have backed way off on the snow and MrsWx says since she posted it she gets to go. I have tried snow, homework, she works at 6AM on Tuesday and Wednesday, crucial bonding time with my son. She won't give in.

Happened to be at the game yesterday. Did LittleMissWx get on the video board? Swore I saw a little one that looked like her.

Ottumwa boys basketball won their first postseason game since 2008(!). Their prize is they get to go up to Iowa City on Friday to play West. Ugh.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When does Boxster get back from Mexico? Don't want to pay for parking at MSP when we go to NY so I thought I would park at his place, drive his Audi to the airport and just curb park it. Probably not there when we would return, but the taxi ride to his place to pick up our vehicle will be less than parking our vehicle there and if he's not back yet, he can figure out what happened to it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Head gasket? Yeah, don't drive it. That can mess it up bad.

BTW, need a car? I gotta get rid of mom's.

They told me it could be drivable? I didn't think so either...it's just a really rough idle including when in reverse. I left it there as they get estimates on some things but I'm currently shopping around to see about other quotes

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Happened to be at the game yesterday. Did LittleMissWx get on the video board? Swore I saw a little one that looked like her.

Ottumwa boys basketball won their first postseason game since 2008(!). Their prize is they get to go up to Iowa City on Friday to play West. Ugh.

If she did we didn't notice.

Congrats to Ottumwa. I remember back in 2004 when Linn-Mar made their first tournament appearance since 1984. Was one awesome run that I may always remember. Second round sub-state was against North Scott. At least back then although they were a 4A school they had a building and gym that was leftover from when they were a much smaller school that was dug into the ground that they called "The Pit". Since it was so small we got only a few hundred tickets. I remember standing in line with my mom to buy some. Very close game that LM ended up winning late, rushed the floor and chanted "This is Our Pit"...that didn't go over well. But was fun. The things you remember with events like this....we got home and the heater had gone out so we slept downstairs where there was electric wall heater things.

LM ended up winning the championship that year and went on to go to I think 9 straight tournaments winning it three or four times.

Jordon Bohannon is the only brother to not win a championship. He was devastated when they lost in the sub-state final.

Reactions: SaraV

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I hate cars.

Not sure I'd trust these guys. They don't exactly sound like they know what they are doing.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When does Boxster get back from Mexico? Don't want to pay for parking at MSP when we go to NY so I thought I would park at his place, drive his Audi to the airport and just curb park it. Probably not there when we would return, but the taxi ride to his place to pick up our vehicle will be less than parking our vehicle there and if he's not back yet, he can figure out what happened to it.
If he's not back yet, you can just break into the garage and take the Porsche. it might take a couple of trips but it'll still be cheaper than parking.

You can try the off site parking location lots (Park 'N Fly...). They tend to cost a lot less and the shuttle system they have is pretty convenient.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I went running twice over the weekend, that's my contribution to healthierness.

Also, hi. Been a bit absent the past week. Been a sort of rough few days.

Peevish vent, someone who is never very helpful and typically does the minimum to answer questions/provide help (and this person's role is......support), did so in the past 24 hours then came to me today asking for help on something. My give a **** is real low right now so I definitely bounced them elsewhere. I probably could have gone out of my way to ask questions and get stuff for them but decided you get what you give today.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah and NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.