This is why Prohm must go........

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
CSP's teams tend to double when they don't need to, and are bad at it when they do, but then don't do it when it could help.

Wesson didn't need to be doubled every time, but throwing someone else at him occasionally at least keeps his head on a swivel and from taking his sweet time to work his way into the shot.

THT had to be benched because he went back to trying to force his way into the lane some more.

The team that lost to UAB had other games that year where they just couldn't get it figured out if the opponent muddled things up.
Wesson was a force against us, especially because of our offensive play. Them pounding it inside every possession slowed everything down. Our offense had to step up and make shots in order to gain a lead and make them come out of their game plan, but that obviously didn't happen. We didn't play poor defensively overall though. We only gave up 62 points. Scoring 59 was the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wesson was a force against us, especially because of our offensive play. Them pounding it inside every possession slowed everything down. Our offense had to step up and make shots in order to gain a lead and make them come out of their game plan, but that obviously didn't happen. We didn't play poor defensively overall though. We only gave up 62 points. Scoring 59 was the issue.

Right, and throwing a defender his way occasionally potentially negates them from trying to pound it inside so much. It was a poor tactic and iirc it never got adjusted to.

To me a weakness of CSP is he plays into what the other team does instead of trying to find a mismatch or get them out of what they want to do.

The Purdue game in 2017 was similar--went big because Purdue was big, came back with 4 guards and running, then said afterward he thought about going small earlier, but didn't.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Right, and throwing a defender his way occasionally potentially negates them from trying to pound it inside so much. It was a poor tactic and iirc it never got adjusted to.

To me a weakness of CSP is he plays into what the other team does instead of trying to find a mismatch or get them out of what they want to do.

The Purdue game in 2017 was similar--went big because Purdue was big, came back with 4 guards and running, then said afterward he thought about going small earlier, but didn't.
I'll agree that Prohm's in game tactics have not been great, but I think both of these situations are different. Against Ohio State, we were playing good defense, but weren't putting up points on the offensive end. Even though Wesson had a pretty good game, we were fine with him getting his as long as we weren't giving up easy shots to other guys. Had we even played okay offensively, we would've won that game.

Against Purdue, we went big because Purdue started a 6'10" PF and a 7'0" C. Prohm made an adjustment and it worked, however we fell just short. It's overly simplistic to say Steve could've made that change earlier. We had a lead towards the end of the game and Purdue ended up making big shot after big shot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'll agree that Prohm's in game tactics have not been great, but I think both of these situations are different. Against Ohio State, we were playing good defense, but weren't putting up points on the offensive end. Even though Wesson had a pretty good game, we were fine with him getting his as long as we weren't giving up easy shots to other guys. Had we even played okay offensively, we would've won that game.

Against Purdue, we went big because Purdue started a 6'10" PF and a 7'0" C. Prohm made an adjustment and it worked, however we fell just short. It's overly simplistic to say Steve could've made that change earlier. We had a lead towards the end of the game and Purdue ended up making big shot after big shot.

Steve himself literally said he thought of making the change earlier in the game. That's not overly simplistic.

KU went small ball the next round and Purdue, with the same players, couldn't match up.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not you, I was talking about the tool himself.

Blood, sweat and tears almost made me take that rod off of ignore.
Dang, didn’t realize I got into your head that much. You made derogatory comments about my (and others’) mother, which gave you a nice little timeout, and now you play the victim. Give me a break dude. You provide nothing of value to this forum.

• Agree
Reactions: rochclone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I’m glad you’re finding different ways to cope with your stress and anger of people having different opinions than you, rather than just attacking the individuals in a personal manner, like you typically do.

You may have actually accomplished it. You may have broken the site with self victimized irony.

truly an impressive feat.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
You may have actually accomplished it. You may have broken the site with self victimized irony.

truly an impressive feat.
I’ve provided insight, opinions and facts, yet I’m met with people like you flinging personal insults because for whatever reason you think Steve is a good coach, and will defend that like your life depends on it. The fact that your way of counter-arguing is to insult someone without providing any facts yourself is proof that you lost your argument.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Steve himself literally said he thought of making the change earlier in the game. That's not overly simplistic.

KU went small ball the next round and Purdue, with the same players, couldn't match up.
We lost to the best team in the Big 10 by 3 points that year. Steve made a change and it worked. We were winning the game with like 3 minutes left. What if Prohm would've made that move earlier and Purdue was able to counter it quicker? We still could've lost the game.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I’ve provided insight, opinions and facts, yet I’m met with people like you flinging personal insults because for whatever reason you think Steve is a good coach, and will defend that like your life depends on it. The fact that your way of counter-arguing is to insult someone without providing any facts yourself is proof that you lost your argument.

i get that this is your default to avoid having to be self aware.

but the idea that you cannot construct a factual argument about what others are saying, leaves the rest of anything you say as wrong, predictable, and sad.

but you fell down the steps so you shed blood for Iowa State. Good job.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
i get that this is your default to avoid having to be self aware.

but the idea that you cannot construct a factual argument about what others are saying, leaves the rest of anything you say as wrong, predictable, and sad.

but you fell down the steps so you shed blood for Iowa State. Good job.
Yes, I made a joke about literally bleeding. You’re taking things way too seriously dude. I’ve provided my opinion based on facts. I’ve asked you multiple times over the last two months (even though you were banned for a good chunk of that) what your opinion was, and your only come back was more insults.

So let’s try this again. Do you think Steve Prohm is the right guy for this job?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We lost to the best team in the Big 10 by 3 points that year. Steve made a change and it worked. We were winning the game with like 3 minutes left. What if Prohm would've made that move earlier and Purdue was able to counter it quicker? We still could've lost the game.

Steve is unique in that he is fairly candid, not like Johnny Orr candid, but he will provide answers and show he knows he may have been wrong.

the thing to remember about that season, and this is all you really need to know about the agendas on here. Prior to the Kansas game, the site was just like it is now.

after that win, there were crickets, until Purdue.

he’s a fairly average coach that could use an experienced voice on the sidelines.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Steve is unique in that he is fairly candid, not like Johnny Orr candid, but he will provide answers and show he knows he may have been wrong.

the thing to remember about that season, and this is all you really need to know about the agendas on here. Prior to the Kansas game, the site was just like it is now.

after that win, there were crickets, until Purdue.

he’s a fairly average coach that could use an experienced voice on the sidelines.
Like I've said before.. it didn't matter who we brought in. If the new coach was not exceeding what Coach Hoiberg did, some fans were not going to be very happy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Even if Steve said he thought of making the move earlier?

Like he should have started Young earlier? Like he didn't get around to starting Wigginton? I'm giving Prohm another season but there's trends.

I guess if he would have, and Purdue counters, perhaps CSP could have had a plan for that.

Reactions: JBone84

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yes, I made a joke about literally bleeding. You’re taking things way too seriously dude. I’ve provided my opinion based on facts. I’ve asked you multiple times over the last two months (even though you were banned for a good chunk of that) what your opinion was, and your only come back was more insults.

So let’s try this again. Do you think Steve Prohm is the right guy for this job?

You haven’t really provided any “facts” joining in group think isn’t really a sound argument.

and trying to pretend you’re a victim is pretty telling about you as a person.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
You haven’t really provided any “facts” joining in group think isn’t really a sound argument.

and trying to pretend you’re a victim is pretty telling about you as a person.
Yes I have. You can look back in this thread and you will find plenty of fact based opinions that many people on here have agreed with. You’re actually one of the few in the minority who have disagreed with me.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The general idea of a 6ish seed and some very nice wins is what I'd take, although a winning conference record is always nice...last year's squad WAS close to 11-7 which is what the 'tough, bad-*** full of leaders everywhere' 13-14 team did (a team that was just as close to .500 in conference and at least 2 non-conference losses).

Some of the weird things with what sounds like some real turmoil and questions around management of situations is what causes pause for me.

I think many coaches are trying to figure out roster management along with ego/whiny players too.

One thing I quasi agree with that Dan Dakich says is that coaches are afraid of players, and if a player doesn't like it, too bad. However, it's easier to say that and really the Coach K's, Calipari's etc. are only going to have that kind of power in today's basketball.
You are what your record is. Every year there are close wins and losses that can go either way. You could say last year could have easily been 7-11.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron