Daytona 500

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Have they said what his injuries were other than "serious but non life threatening."
When I heard that I expected more than 2 nights in the hospotal.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I’d assume he was concussed, if not knocked unconscious.

After seeing the pictures today, I am assuming that is what they were monitoring. Obviously it went well. It isn't even 48 hours later and he is out of the hospital.

Now I am wondering when he gets back in a car.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I was expecting like a broken back or something. Crazy he is already out of the hospital.

Next time an employee can't make it to work due to a headache, show them videos of the wreck and him walking out of the hospital.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Now I am wondering when he gets back in a car.

Or if he will do so professionally again. Him walking out of the hospital holding his two daughters hands after what he went through might make him think long and hard about the career he's had and the risk of getting behind that wheel again.

• Agree

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
He's financially set for generations and drivers are retiring at younger and younger ages. I can't imagine he ever gets in a car again but we all know those guys are wired differently.

He also has a mechanical engineering degree, so he could go to work on the safety side if he ever wanted to. It seems like whenever drivers go into a related career post driving, they provide solid insight that may have been missing (commentary, LaJoie with the seats).

Newman's been a critic of the Daytona/Dega races/aero packages. May be able to work in that arena post-driving.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It just shows how much safer these cars are. Between being strapped into the seat and the Hans Device to help stabilize their head and neck these guys can take quite an impact

• Agree

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
He's financially set for generations and drivers are retiring at younger and younger ages. I can't imagine he ever gets in a car again but we all know those guys are wired differently.
Tony Stewart was at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa grating the track for the competitions. These guys do it because they love it. I suspect he races again.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I don't understand how he is walking out of the hospital less than 2 days after that accident. Simply amazing.

I just can't wrap my mind around it. No visible bruises, cuts, burns. No broken bones. Healed up and walked out of there like he just had his tonsils removed or something.

It's beyond comprehension that you could walk away in this kind of shape just days after that accident, but maybe it's just one of those things we aren't meant to fully understand.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
i know it wont happen but id love to see the video from inside the car

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I just can't wrap my mind around it. No visible bruises, cuts, burns. No broken bones. Healed up and walked out of there like he just had his tonsils removed or something.

It's beyond comprehension that you could walk away in this kind of shape just days after that accident, but maybe it's just one of those things we aren't meant to fully understand.

First 10 seconds of this clip is a wreck I had at Knoxville in 2008. Of course we aren't going as fast as NASCAR but I didn't have and cuts, scrapes, bruises or soreness from it.

And yes that is Tony Stewart in the Bass Pro Shops #20. Ryan Newman was also there that year with Tony, but Ryan was watching.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron