Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Does it really matter what Finn was going to say? The fact is, either way, it was going to be a dumb moment. If he was going to say I love you then that would seem totally unearned. If he was going to say I'm force sensitive then that seems like a really dumb thing to say to someone right before you die. It was a head scratching moment in a film full of head scratching moments.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think you're being a little overcritical about RoS.

I might be. Honestly though I think ROS is a not good movie. There are people running around with lightsabers so I'm happy, but IMO it's a bottom tier Star Wars movie for me personally. Just think some really, really stupid stuff happened and I hated Palpy back. That said, I can't wait for the next series and I sincerely hope we get past Skywalkers.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I've dealt with week-by-week serialized adventures for nearly every show on network television for about 30 years now, so I'm ready to mostly move on and leave that type of storytelling to the constraints of network TV and sitcoms. There is a reason network TV is a dying species and that is a big part of it. Some of it is okay with me if a series, but I thought they could have used less of it with The Mandalorian. I'd much prefer more of a 5-hour movie cut into 8-episode segments myself.
Yeah, I see your point. But I think the pendulum has swung way in the other direction now. All the hit shows are just chapters in a huge story now. Which is cool, I like those shows a lot. But it's nice to see fun episodes that are just awesome in their own right and not another piece in a gigantic puzzle. I always thought that The X-Files did a great job of handling the monster of the week and the main conspiracy story balance.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv and SCNCY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The rumors are out that the next phase of Star Wars films will take place 400 years before the OT during the "High Republic". This will allow them to have at least one character, Yoda, from the OT.

It is also rumored they want to get away from the trilogy format. The films will follow a group of Jedi with differing force powers in separate films but a unifying story thread that will culminate in an End Game type film. So they want to "Marvelize" the Star Wars universe which isn't surprising. These are all just rumors from various places that probably need to be taken with a big grain of salt, but it makes a ton of sense they would want to take it in this direction. I have mixed feeling about the rumors, but it has to be better than the final product of the last trilogy.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The rumors are out that the next phase of Star Wars films will take place 400 years before the OT during the "High Republic". This will allow them to have at least one character, Yoda, from the OT.

It is also rumored they want to get away from the trilogy format. The films will follow a group of Jedi with differing force powers in separate films but a unifying story thread that will culminate in an End Game type film. So they want to "Marvelize" the Star Wars universe which isn't surprising. These are all just rumors from various places that probably need to be taken with a big grain of salt, but it makes a ton of sense they would want to take it in this direction. I have mixed feeling about the rumors, but it has to be better than the final product of the last trilogy.

I think it's a good move to go back in time. However, I would favor to go back where you had the sith were well and around the Galaxy along with the Jedi. If I'm not mistaken, only 400 years prior to the original trilogy, the sith (master and apprentice, no more no less) were still in hiding.

I am surprised that when Disney bought licasfilm several years ago, they didn't marvelize the franchise. I thought they would have done that.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's a good move to go back in time. However, I would favor to go back where you had the sith were well and around the Galaxy along with the Jedi. If I'm not mistaken, only 400 years prior to the original trilogy, the sith (master and apprentice, no more no less) were still in hiding.
Yeah, but they can still find ways to "cheat" the rule of 2. Even though there are technically only 2 sith lords, they have dark force users all over the place in current canon that aren't sith.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...-the-fates-has-leaked-and-its-awesome-a172725

Apparently, Colin Trevorrows original Episode 9 Star Wars script has leaked and the following are some alleged details from it. Clearly if true, JJ chose to go a mostly different path with what he did. Some people on the internet are saying they are wishing this was the script that was made, while some are saying they are glad it wasn't. Me, I have a hard time saying either way because most things are in the execution. Regardless, while it may have added some cool stuff I would have liked, it clearly would have taken away some of the stuff I loved in ROS at the same time. In general, I'm leaning towards glad we went the JJ route. If anything, I just wish we would have gotten JJ's original cut rather than the clearly chopped-up theatrical cut we got from the editors that JJ was not happy with.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I am sure they could explain the rule of 2 differently so it made sense and contrasted with the Jedi. It may just be an indication of priorities. Where the Jedi had a temple where they brought kids in and mentored them as a group before they became apprentices, the Sith would immediately pair an apprentice with a trainee until they were masters. This would guarantee that Sith never had more apprentices than masters.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
  • Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I thought his finale was great. However, while I know some really enjoyed it, I didn't like the opening trooper scene, which was a VERY Taika scene. Sure, was it funny? Yes. Did it seem off to being in a Star Wars show? Yes, at least for me.
I loved that scene! To each their own. I think he blends humor and sincereity in a movie as well as any director I've seen. Ragnarok is one of my favorite Marvel movies. I would love to see what he would do with a Star Wars movie.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
Honestly, I thought it was one of the best scenes in any Star Wars media that I have seen. It perfectly captured what I imagined it's like to be in that situation.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I thought his finale was great. However, while I know some really enjoyed it, I didn't like the opening trooper scene, which was a VERY Taika scene. Sure, was it funny? Yes. Did it seem off to being in a Star Wars show? Yes, at least for me.

I kinda liked the difference from the typical depiction of storm troopers. To me it just kinda shows the difference in their roles and demeanor with the change brought on by the "fall of the empire." They're more relaxed like they actually chose to be in this role now instead of being ordered to be in the role.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Something interesting for Star Wars fans to keep an eye on next week is the news conference on the 24th discussing project Luminous. Project Luminous was announced almost a year ago but little detail has been given about it. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. Supposedly it is only in regards to books and comics, but I don't feel like you hold a press conference just for that. Perhaps they will only announce books and comics, but I feel this will set the stage for where they are taking Star Wars in the future including the films.

Rumors are it will announce a multiplatform story arc about Jedi during the High Republic (400 yrs BOT) exploring the outer rim. Other rumors include a base that was built at great expense deep In the outer rim to serve as a beacon for those in the outer rim. This dovetails well with the rumors that they want to "marvelize" the movies by having single movies following different Jedi with different force powers connected in one large story arc.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Something interesting for Star Wars fans to keep an eye on next week is the news conference on the 24th discussing project Luminous. Project Luminous was announced almost a year ago but little detail has been given about it. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. Supposedly it is only in regards to books and comics, but I don't feel like you hold a press conference just for that. Perhaps they will only announce books and comics, but I feel this will set the stage for where they are taking Star Wars in the future including the films.

Rumors are it will announce a multiplatform story arc about Jedi during the High Republic (400 yrs BOT) exploring the outer rim. Other rumors include a base that was built at great expense deep In the outer rim to serve as a beacon for those in the outer rim. This dovetails well with the rumors that they want to "marvelize" the movies by having single movies following different Jedi with different force powers connected in one large story arc.

This would be in-line with other rumors that there is a KOTOR video game in the works: some reports say its a remaster of 1 & 2 which would add in some original elements to tie into the films, while other reports say its a new entry that would combine elements/characters from KOTOR 1 & 2 and would retcon the previous games.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This would be in-line with other rumors that there is a KOTOR video game in the works: some reports say its a remaster of 1 & 2 which would add in some original elements to tie into the films, while other reports say its a new entry that would combine elements/characters from KOTOR 1 & 2 and would retcon the previous games.
Interesting. I would love an excuse to play through those games again if they remastered it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I want the Star Wars 1313 game that was almost coming.
This is OT, but if you're into vaporware apparently a playable version of Starcraft:Ghost surfaced on the internet last week.