Wrestling Facilities at ISU

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
ISU’s wrestling room is in Lied. I personally think it’s actually pretty nice. Obviously it’s not the TOP room around or anything. It’s just on the second floor. They have the walls leading to the room with some fun wrestling stuff.

As far as coaches offices: those are located at the Jacobsen building which also houses the entire athletic staff with the exception of football and basketball.

Our availability is outside of the room because practice is right after they meet with us. It’s no different then every other sport it’s just the facility is shared so there’s more going on around us compared to when we meet at the Jacobsen building for football after hours but even then occasionally things are going on in there too.

As stated, a facility was proposed but obviously who knows when that’ll happen. I assume it’s all in how much money people are putting up to help fund the construction and how fast it’s flowing in.

That’s about all I got to contribute lol

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I think the Armory is pretty well established with other departments.
The Parking Division and ISU Police have a good chunk. The ROTC programs have another good chunk. Then, the Architecture and Industrial Design programs have some studio, classroom, and workshop spaces in the rest...I think that's it.

That said, I'm all for an "Armory-style" facility in the Iowa State Center for the Olympic sports, complete with training facilities. Hilton is awesome for the Iowa dual (maybe UNI if both our programs end up in the top 10 at some point), but the rest would be a lot of fun in a more intimate setting where fans can really get loud and fuel the action.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
ISU’s wrestling room is in Lied. I personally think it’s actually pretty nice. Obviously it’s not the TOP room around or anything. It’s just on the second floor. They have the walls leading to the room with some fun wrestling stuff.

As far as coaches offices: those are located at the Jacobsen building which also houses the entire athletic staff with the exception of football and basketball.

Our availability is outside of the room because practice is right after they meet with us. It’s no different then every other sport it’s just the facility is shared so there’s more going on around us compared to when we meet at the Jacobsen building for football after hours but even then occasionally things are going on in there too.

As stated, a facility was proposed but obviously who knows when that’ll happen. I assume it’s all in how much money people are putting up to help fund the construction and how fast it’s flowing in.

That’s about all I got to contribute lol

Thanks for the Info...When Kevin Dresser got here I asked him on a call in show..."Does Iowa State have good enough facilities to compete on the "Highest Level"....

His Answer...."The highest level, that's a good question ( Kevin then hesitated for a moment)... the answer is Yes ....we can compete at that level."

Ideally I would like to see a stand alone practice facility for Wrestling and still have the Meets Inside Hilton Coliseum...

Feb 2, 2018
Then, as fans, let’s pony up some money and get them one. Isn’t Iowa’s new facility 100% funded by outside donors/fundraising? I don’t think we can complain about something if we’re not going to do anything about it. That being said, I don’t have $20mil.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The major reason ISU lost Sanderson is the lack of resources that ISU is willing to pump into wrestling as a whole. ISU is spending about a million less on wrestling than Iowa is, that is a lot of money for a knitch sport like wrestling.
Penn State was willing about able to spend the money, while ISU was really not willing to do so, when we needed to spend that money on JTS and Hilton.

The question we as a fan base should be asking is "which is more important to spend our money on, football and basketball, or smaller sports like wrestling, soccer, Track and field and softball?"

Myself I am fine with spending as much as we can on the men's sports of FB and BB, staying in compliance with Title IX and then allowing sports like wrestling to pick up the scrapes.

• Dislike
  • Creative
Reactions: cyputz and CyDude16

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I love that OSU facility.... very nice! I have not seen ISU current set-up, but if it's anything close to OSU, we are in good shape.

BTW Ped State offered Cael 10k more in salary than ISU. I have no clue about the facilities there. The big tipping point why he left?.... A wealthy PSU Alumni (lawyer) put Cael on retainer for $250k a year to give speeches when call upon. That was certainly influential.
Pollard himself told me that tidbit at a CYCLONE Tailgate tour stop several years ago. No trolling.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
That Ohio State facility is very nice. I can imagine something like that placed north of Hilton, across Lincoln Way, in the space used to grow grass. Everybody buy a lottery ticket this weekend and plan to drop a big bag of cash on Jamie's desk next week if you win. Problem solved.

• Optimistic
Reactions: mdk2isu

cywr89

May 14, 2009
The major reason ISU lost Sanderson is the lack of resources that ISU is willing to pump into wrestling as a whole. ISU is spending about a million less on wrestling than Iowa is, that is a lot of money for a knitch sport like wrestling.
Penn State was willing about able to spend the money, while ISU was really not willing to do so, when we needed to spend that money on JTS and Hilton.

The question we as a fan base should be asking is "which is more important to spend our money on, football and basketball, or smaller sports like wrestling, soccer, Track and field and softball?"

Myself I am fine with spending as much as we can on the men's sports of FB and BB, staying in compliance with Title IX and then allowing sports like wrestling to pick up the scrapes.
"...ISU is spending about a million less on wrestling than Iowa..." this is flat out incorrect. Iowa is spending around $1.5MM on wrestling similar to ISU. Don't mix school funding support vs private donations. I would agree Iowa is getting significantly more donations to support wrestling but the school isn't spending more. Again, PSU wasn't willing to spend the money. A donor was willing to pumped multi-millions into the program. It still amazes me that ISU has never (to my knowledge) had a single wrestling donor contribute more than $100K in a single year. We need a wealthy donor to kick start any major funding project. I believe KD is getting close but still hasn't secured one.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I love that OSU facility.... very nice! I have not seen ISU current set-up, but if it's anything close to OSU, we are in good shape.

BTW Ped State offered Cael 10k more in salary than ISU. I have no clue about the facilities there. The big tipping point why he left?.... A wealthy PSU Alumni (lawyer) put Cael on retainer for $250k a year to give speeches when call upon. That was certainly influential.
Pollard himself told me that tidbit at a CYCLONE Tailgate tour stop several years ago. No trolling.
Again, this is incorrect. Cael salary is below KDs. Cael is making all of his money (which is a lot more than KD) through camps and speaking engagements.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Again, this is incorrect. Cael salary is below KDs. Cael is making all of his money (which is a lot more than KD) through camps and speaking engagements.
I believe they also provided him and maybe his assistants with a home- mortgage free

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa

I assume he means they offered 10k more than Cael was making at ISU at the time. KD might make more than him know but the head coaches salary increased significantly when KD was hired.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
"...ISU is spending about a million less on wrestling than Iowa..." this is flat out incorrect. Iowa is spending around $1.5MM on wrestling similar to ISU. Don't mix school funding support vs private donations. I would agree Iowa is getting significantly more donations to support wrestling but the school isn't spending more. Again, PSU wasn't willing to spend the money. A donor was willing to pumped multi-millions into the program. It still amazes me that ISU has never (to my knowledge) had a single wrestling donor contribute more than $100K in a single year. We need a wealthy donor to kick start any major funding project. I believe KD is getting close but still hasn't secured one.

According the link below of the BOR for this past year, Iowa budgeted $600,000 for wrestling for the 2020 budget year, and plans to spend $1,990,264 dollars, page 24 of the link.

ISU budgeted $180,000 for the season, and plans to spend $363,250, page 34 of the report.
So I was wrong, Iowa is spending not a million more on wrestling but 1.5 million more.

https://www.iowaregents.edu/media/cms/0819_ITEM_3__Budgets_581B4C4633C5F.pdf

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Our high school via private funds built a 3 million dollar stand alone wrestling facility 11 years ago. It's amazing for that level.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I would also be curious on how much the program generates vs cost? And what was generated when Cael had top 5 teams for the short time he was coach.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
He didn't state that Cael was offered 10K more than what Dresser is paid. Dresser is being paid a lot more than KJ made in his last year.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I would also be curious on how much the program generates vs cost? And what was generated when Cael had top 5 teams for the short time he was coach.

The figures I gave were for tickets sells, so ISU sold $180,000 in tickets and spent, $363,250 for wrestling. While Iowa sold $600,000 in tickets and spent $1,990,264 on the sport.

Both schools are losing their ass on wrestling.

Football the numbers are, in tickets sells, Iowa $22,334,472, spent $29,683,284, while ISU sold $12,520,559 in tickets and spent $6,850,000 on football expenses.

• Winner

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
The figures I gave were for tickets sells, so ISU sold $180,000 in tickets and spent, $363,250 for wrestling. While Iowa sold $600,000 in tickets and spent $1,990,264 on the sport.

Both schools are losing their ass on wrestling.

Football the numbers are, in tickets sells, Iowa $22,334,472, spent $29,683,284, while ISU sold $12,520,559 in tickets and spent $6,850,000 on football expenses.
I'd be interested in knowing what that loss is when including johnny passes, concessions, etc. I'm not saying there wouldn't still be a loss and we all know wrestling isn't going to be a cash cow like football.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'd be interested in knowing what that loss is when including johnny passes, concessions, etc. I'm not saying there wouldn't still be a loss and we all know wrestling isn't going to be a cash cow like football.

Iowa led the nation in wrestling attendance for 18/19 averaging 8526.3 per match, ISU was 6th at 3569.7 per match.
Tickets for Iowa are $20 for Penn. State, $15 for OSU and Ok. St. and $12 for the other four meets, season tickets for this year were $85.00.

I could not find the data for ISU, it did say season tickets were $85.00 for this year, but no breakdown by induvial meet.

So both schools are losing their ass on wrestling.