Picard

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I was hooked at the opening shot of the 1701D and Picard's silhouette, but I've always been a TNG/Picard fan.

Reactions: 3GenClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Star Trek Discovery was a huge success for them in building their streaming service. Picard will probably be very successful too. Their whole streaming business model is built around these shows. I can’t imagine why they would sell them to another service.

They had like 3 million subscribers until Picard came out. That's like 1 million more than Shudder and Crunchyroll. Basically the only reason to get this service is if you want to watch new Start Trek content and it shows. Agree they are building their platform on it but I'd hardly consider it a wild success at this point.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They had like 3 million subscribers until Picard came out. That's like 1 million more than Shudder and Crunchyroll. Basically the only reason to get this service is if you want to watch new Start Trek content and it shows. Agree they are building their platform on it but I'd hardly consider it a wild success at this point.

Trying to find newer numbers but as of 4q 2018 they had 8 million viewers.

Recent reports say they are tracking for 25 million subscribers by 2022

kcbob79clone

if you are of fan of the Roddenberry Star Trek series (as opposed to the shoot-em-up sacrilege of the later Star Trek abominations, i.e. Discovery)

Can't roll my eyes any harder at this. Discovery is great.

And here I thought I was the only one that thought Discovery was sacrilegious

Reactions: Turn2

kcbob79clone

I've always been a Star Trek fan who loathes Trekkies.

TNG and DS9 are among the best TV series of any kind, not just Star Trek, and basically universally hated by Trekkies upon release.

Disagree, I think that trekkies were the original ones and in the Roddenberry spirit were more open to the new series. Trekkers as they came to be known were bandwagon jumpers and the purists. Just my 2 cents worth as I believe I am a trekkie.

• Useful
Reactions: alarson

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OK, I for one really liked Discovery. I thought it was the best they've done. Next Generation was good, but I can't tell if that was more looking back nostalgia or if it was really good. Did not really watch Voyager or Enterprise. DS9 was OK. Picard, I thought the pilot was OK. He's kind of old to do much and there wasn't much for action in the episode. I almost feel like they are going the Star Wars route of pulling in as much nostalgia for TNG as possible to hook people in. Like, people want so badly for it to be good that they convince themselves that it was...I was like that for pretty much all of the new SW movies. I'll definitely keep watching though.

For my money, Battlestar Galactica blows anything Trek has done out of the water with the exception of Wrath of Khan.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Disagree, I think that trekkies were the original ones and in the Roddenberry spirit were more open to the new series. Trekkers as they came to be known were bandwagon jumpers and the purists. Just my 2 cents worth as I believe I am a trekkie.

So you think the people who hated TNG immediately weren't fans of the original series but rather just sci fi nerds who had seen a few episodes or movies and didn't like change? I can see that.

I work in licensed toys and I can tell you from my circle of colleagues working in licensed toys and games that Star Trek is one of the harder audiences to please. If you weren't familiar with the recent Sonic the Hedgehog movie freakout I was right in the middle of that as a toy developer, nobody saw such a rabid fan reaction coming. To your point I don't think most of these "Sonic fans" were even real fans, just nerdy nitpickers. Of course they had a valid point in that case.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So you think the people who hated TNG immediately weren't fans of the original series but rather just sci fi nerds who had seen a few episodes or movies and didn't like change? I can see that.

I work in licensed toys and I can tell you from my circle of colleagues working in licensed toys and games that Star Trek is one of the harder audiences to please. If you weren't familiar with the recent Sonic the Hedgehog movie freakout I was right in the middle of that as a toy developer, nobody saw such a rabid fan reaction coming. To your point I don't think most of these "Sonic fans" were even real fans, just nerdy nitpickers. Of course they had a valid point in that case.
I think with Sonic it wasn't some die hard base of Sonic fans going nuts as much as a horrible design choice going viral. I didn't see much anger, just a lot of people relentlessly making fun of it. It made for some great memes.

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
From someone who watched all the Star Trek shows except the cartoon and I still have a few episodes of Discovery to finish I'd says this was a great start. For me TNG > DS9 >>> Others but I enjoyed them all in some way.

Lots of setup and references to old Trek but now they need to come through with compelling stories/story lines and classic trek ethical/moral dilemmas.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It doesn't help them that CBS tv content has always catered to old people.

For years they'd talk about being the #1 network but it was never in the demographic the advertisers wanted to target and it's not the demo most likely to want a third or fourth streaming service...outside of people wanting to watch Star Trek.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
OK, I for one really liked Discovery. I thought it was the best they've done. Next Generation was good, but I can't tell if that was more looking back nostalgia or if it was really good. Did not really watch Voyager or Enterprise. DS9 was OK. Picard, I thought the pilot was OK. He's kind of old to do much and there wasn't much for action in the episode. I almost feel like they are going the Star Wars route of pulling in as much nostalgia for TNG as possible to hook people in. Like, people want so badly for it to be good that they convince themselves that it was...I was like that for pretty much all of the new SW movies. I'll definitely keep watching though.

For my money, Battlestar Galactica blows anything Trek has done out of the water with the exception of Wrath of Khan.

TNG is very uneven...like every hour show in history back when hour shows were 25-30 episodes a year.

Something like Breaking Bad is undeniably epic but try making it 200+ episodes instead of 62 in the exact same time frame. If you did half the episodes would be good and half of them would be bad just like TNG or X-Files.

The best 30 episodes of TNG are up there with the best 30 shows of about any other series, given that the person doesn't hate sci-fi. The Borg confrontation was a quantum leap forward for TV at the time.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa

There were a tiny few episodes of TNG that were better than any episode of BSG. The Inner Light and Tapestry come to mind. Overall, BSG was the better series, but Ronald Moore never forgot that he got his start writing TNG episodes. BSG is filled with Star Trek tributes.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Regarding BSG - there is another reboot in the works. This time it will be on "Peacock" which is the new NBC streaming service. It is being adapted by Sam Esmail who created Mr Robot on USA.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Really enjoyed the show. Enough of the past to make it fun and build the foundation. Picard is a wonderful character to create a show around. Multi-layered man who's conflicted. There couldn't be a series like this based on Kirk

The end was magnificent. The battle music....the enemy within an enemy....

Somehow thinking Data's hand at the beginning of the show is foreshadowing. I'm in for the ride

Engage

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Mild spoilers...

I don't get why the population of Mars is so low in this series.

When the "synths" attacked Mars and the orbiting installations, apparently about 90,000 people died. From the footage of the attack that has been shown several times across the first three episodes, almost the entire surface of the planet was destroyed. Even if "only" 1/4 of the population died, that means the whole population of Mars, just prior to the 25th century, is about 400,000 people? Elon Musk wants to put a million people on Mars by 2050, and if his Starship is successful he just might do it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Mild spoilers...

I don't get why the population of Mars is so low in this series.

When the "synths" attacked Mars and the orbiting installations, apparently about 90,000 people died. From the footage of the attack that has been shown several times across the first three episodes, almost the entire surface of the planet was destroyed. Even if "only" 1/4 of the population died, that means the whole population of Mars, just prior to the 25th century, is about 400,000 people? Elon Musk wants to put a million people on Mars by 2050, and if his Starship is successful he just might do it.

There may not be much desire to go to mars when warp travel exists that can take you to much more habitable worlds.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I’m loving the show. But man, I don’t know know why Jean Luc didn’t bring those two kick ass former Romulan Secret agents with him on his mission!

Engage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron