Haliburton NBA

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love Tyrese and absolutely think he should go if his stock remains so high...

But what on earth are these scouts watching? There are ZERO NBA- ready guys on this roster. If Tyrese is only as good as the sum of the teams parts, that's fine, he'll be solid on an NBA team... but is that seriously what NBA teams are looking for in picks 1-13?

He isn't good enough to be a game changer, clearly enough, and I'd think that's what teams with lottery picks are looking for

He was the best or second best player on the USA U19 team.

He was easily on the first team looking at the players from every country.

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
He's created more wide open 3's this year than any college player I have ever seen. It's not his fault no one can hit them.

I'd put him 2nd only to Tinsley in his ability to see the floor and anticipate what is going to happen before it does. Scouts can see these smarts, and I think its the reason he's high on the draft boards. He's not Tinsley in that he can't get wherever he wants on the floor at any given time, but TH can definitely run a team and make everyone better (if they can shoot anyway!!! )

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think his assist ratio would be a lot higher if guys you know would hit open shots. Unfortunately in terms of basketball, you have a Mensa level guard playing with guys who are marginal qualifiers.

At the next level you will have many more 4.0 grade level basketball players to play with. Guy will be just fine.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'd put him 2nd only to Tinsley in his ability to see the floor and anticipate what is going to happen before it does. Scouts can see these smarts, and I think its the reason he's high on the draft boards. He's not Tinsley in that he can't get wherever he
wants on the floor at any given time, but TH can definitely run a team and make everyone
better (if they can shoot anyway!!! )

I would agree with this assessment on Tinsley's talent vs. Tyrese. What doesn't seem to make sense is Jamaal was taken 27th and some think Halliburton will go top five.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I would agree with this assessment on Tinsley's talent vs. Tyrese. What doesn't seem to make sense is Jamaal was taken 27th and some think Halliburton will go top five.
Tyrese's value is in that vision and his size. He's 6'6 with a 7 foot plus wingspan. That means he can defends guards that are the 6-8 types and he gets a whole bunch of deflections/steals which are big metrics in regards to transferable skills to the NBA. NBA teams don't need guys that can score, Tyrese would fit in extremely well as a cog that does it all. Think a guard version of Draymond Green.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

My own completely arbitrary 1-100 ranking

Overall ball handling skill:
Monte: 99
Tinsley: 97
Tyrese: 92

Ball security:
Monte: 100
Tyrese: 80
Tinsley: 65

Court vision:
Tinsley: 99
Tyrese: 97
Monte: 90

Drive and kick:
Tinsley: 95
Tyrese: 80

Creating own offense/getting to the rim:
Tinsley: 90
Tyrese: 75
Monte: 75

3pt Shooting:
Tyrese: 75
Monte: 75
Tinsley: 55

Mid range Shooting:
Tyrese: 70
Tinsley: 65

On ball defense:
Tinsley: 99 (few better when motivated but could really fall off)
Tyrese: 85

Disrupting passing lanes and blocking shots as a point guard:
Tyrese: 99
Tinsley: 95
Monte: 70

Rebounding from guard position:
Tyrese: 95
Tinsley: 80
Monte: 65

Leadership qualities:
Monte: 95
Tyrese: 90
Tinsley: 80

It boils down to a pretty tough decision, Tyrese probably is the best in the immeasurable things that can't be coached.

All three I think are incredible pick and roll point guards but it's so much more prevalent in NBA than college that I can't even rank it. Monte is as good as anybody right now setting up pick and roll. The only thing that limits his pick and roll game is his team's center is the team's starting point guard and ball handler.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Tyrese's value is in that vision and his size. He's 6'6 with a 7 foot plus wingspan. That means he can defends guards that are the 6-8 types and he gets a whole bunch of deflections/steals which are big metrics in regards to transferable skills to

the NBA. NBA teams don't need guys that can score, Tyrese would fit in extremely well as a cog that does it all. Think a guard version of Draymond Green.

I understand that both Green and Tyrese could be considered as non-scoring difference makers in the NBA. But you can get that type of guy at 35, like they did Green. Draymond might have outperformed his pick, but another non-scorer like Lonzo at #2 certainly hasn't.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Tyrese's value is in that vision and his size. He's 6'6 with a 7 foot plus wingspan. That means he can defends guards that are the 6-8 types and he gets a whole bunch of deflections/steals which are big metrics in regards to transferable skills to the NBA. NBA teams don't need guys that can score, Tyrese would fit in extremely well as a cog that does it all. Think a guard version of Draymond Green.

There's about one play a game where Tyrese reminds you he's pretty bouncy too. I'll be interested to see what his vertical measures at.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentblum

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I understand that both Green and Tyrese could be considered as non-scoring difference makers in the NBA. But you can get that type of guy at 35, like they did Green. Draymond might have outperformed his pick, but another non-scorer like Lonzo at #2 certainly hasn't.
That's fair, I do think Tyrese benefits from this current era of position-less basketball. Green definitely gets picked earlier in 2020 than in 2012.

• Winner
Reactions: CSnyder

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

I somewhat agree. Tyrese is definitely a high NBA prospect and someone the league will be very interested in, but I've always been pretty shocked at the Top 5 talk though.

There are two differences though especially if you are using Draymond as the comparison. 1) He shoots the 3 really well and 2) It's a pretty weak draft class.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

And I think the sweet spot for TH in the lottery is somewhere between 8 and 14. Not good enough to be a primary option but he'll balance and space the floor for you offensively and he can potentially guard three positions at the next level. Not a superstar but a very valuable cog for a good team.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Bolton has been pretty much a knock down shooter the last month or so. The problem is that now defenses don't give him open looks either such that we end up with our third or fourth best 3P shooting options having to shoot the three, and they are very poor options.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The NBA is loaded with guys who need the ball to be productive. What makes Tyrese so interesting is his best game is without the ball in his hands much.

Guys who can be extremely productive without the ball along with high-usage guys (such as Draymond when Steph and Klay are around) is rather valuable.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Andrew Wiggins just got traded to the Warriors and many people think he will thrive there as the third option as opposed to having to carry the team as the number one outside threat.

I view Tyrese the same way. I'm not comparing their games - Wiggins was a number one pick - but I think that if Tyrese gets on a team that likes to move the ball around and create open looks as opposed to a primarily pick and roll type of team then he will have a chance to do quite well.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I love Tyrese and absolutely think he should go if his stock remains so high...

But what on earth are these scouts watching? There are ZERO NBA- ready guys on this roster. If Tyrese is only as good as the sum of the teams parts, that's fine, he'll be solid on an NBA team... but is that seriously what NBA teams are looking for in picks 1-13?

He isn't good enough to be a game changer, clearly enough, and I'd think that's what teams with lottery picks are looking for

A) Not a secret, NBA drafts on potential. Personally, I don't get this, but that's what they do.

B) Tyrese has all the tangibles that probably make owners salivate. He's tall, long, moves well, smart/high IQ, doesn't turn the ball over too much, can shoot, does have some ability to drive.

C) Our roster isn't made for him to shine, but you put him with a bunch of other high caliber players, he'll thrive even more than he already is. He has a high ceiling, as well as the ability to make others around him better. That's what they see.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Heard something on the Morning Rush today that apparently Stanz and Blum on Cyclone Insider last night talked about how this season has gone that there is a chance Haliburton doesn't want his college experience to end this way and there is a slight possibility he could decide to stay another year? Anyone happen to listen last night and comment on it? I need to go back and listen to the podcast sometime.

I used to be one of these guys that never understood what the rush is to go pro but over time my mindset has changed some. I remember back when Fizer was tearing it up we were chanting "1 more year" at the end of the last home game. ISU would have probably been preseason #1 had he came back for his senior year and being in college at the time I couldn't help to think why would you pass up a chance at a national title and probably front runner to be national player of the year when the NBA will likely be there next year and you'll still be a lotto pick. Well he was the #4 overall pick that year and over the years I now get why guys leave early because that is life changing money. If Haliburton thinks he will be a lock for a lotto pick or even top 5 or 10 pick like some site have him at I don't blame him 1 bit for jumping at the opportunity. But if in his heart he feels like he wants to stay another year and help turn this thing around I'd have all the respect in the world for him too. I think it's probably a 99.9% chance he goes pro at this point though.

Crazy how things have changed over the years because now with the G League some of these fringe guys that probably would not have declared for the draft early 20 years ago like Wigginton and THT now have an option to earn some money without having to stay in school 3 or 4 years like players used to do if they wanted a shot in the NBA. I think that has a lot to do with how this season has gone for us, Prohm almost recruited too well and now we have a vacuum from some guys leaving sooner than we anticipated originally and unlike the blueblood schools teams like Iowa State usually doesn't have another top 10 class coming in to help fill in the voids right away when you lose that many key players all at once through graduation and declaring for the draft early.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron