This is why Prohm must go........

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Prohm and hoiberg have very similar highs. Prohms lows are a lot lower than Fred went. Lower than a lot of ISU coaches to be honest.

The WTF factor could be pretty high with Fred, too, sometimes, but at least it was not quite as frequent as it has been with Prohm this past season.

635623745837378378-dd25817b914d390c710f6a706700be7a.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't understand how people can possibly believe ISU will be better next season when it is painfully obvious we're going to be much worse than this year.

That'll make it losing seasons in 3 of the last 4. Will that be good enough for everyone?

I would like to see it happen first.

You never know what the fine details of the actual season might tell you, and you would have information about how recruiting has gone in the meantime.

But I doubt you'll find anybody left in the Prohm camp if we're 1/4.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I watched Prohm's press conference yesterday. .....I have wondered if anyone had noticed West Virginia's turn around from last year. Turns out Prohm noticed. And how hard they play, how tough they are. Prohm keeps saying we play "soft", I would like to hear what he is doing to change that. He
doesn't need to tell me what went wrong, he needs to tell me a PLAN to fix it.....

Agree. I wonder if Steve watched what HuggyBear did in the first three minutes of their game this week? WV came out soft on the press, they called a TO and ALL FIVE starters were benched. Could you ever imagine Prohm doing this?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Prohm and hoiberg have very similar highs. Prohms lows are a lot lower than Fred went. Lower than a lot of ISU coaches to be honest.
I didn't really say that. My point is pretty much Prohm has hit the same highs as Fred but we already hit those highs to their impact is less.

And its not really here or there, but don't act like Fred didn't flirt with disaster or have some awful games. Winning by 2 against MVSU in 2011, losing by 9 at Drake in 2011, losing at Tech in 2012 when they went 3-15, or again at Tech in 2015 when they finished last in the Big 12. If the 2011 team lost that MVSU game, it would have been a worst loss Kenpom rankings wise than the Florida A&M game.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I didn't really say that. My point is pretty much Prohm has hit the same highs as Fred but we already hit those highs to their impact is less.

And its not really here or there, but don't act like Fred didn't flirt with disaster or have some awful games. Winning by 2 against MVSU in 2011, losing by 9 at Drake in 2011, losing at Tech in 2012 when they went 3-15, or again at Tech in 2015 when they finished last in the Big 12. If the 2011 team lost that MVSU game, it would have been a worst loss Kenpom rankings wise than the Florida A&M game.

That 2011-12 team improved substantially throughout the course of the season; everyone started to understand their role and the team developed an identity (see highlights). Does that happen with ISU basketball anymore?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Didn’t say you did. I’m saying it.

2 of the worst home losses in school history were Steve Prohm teams. Plus Getting spanked by Iowa and KU at Hilton are lower lows than Fred ever had.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That 2011-12 team improved substantially throughout the course of the season; everyone started to understand their role and the team developed an identity (see highlights). Does that happen with ISU basketball anymore?

it did Montes senior year. And to some extent last year.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyBobby and awd4cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Just the 2014-2015 team --

South Carolina
@ Texas Tech
Baylor (we stopped making fun of Scott Drew after that one)
@ Kansas State (we quite literally dropped the ball to lose that one)

We are probably a #1 or #2 seed if we won those -- plus winning the Big 12 regular season by two games (or one game if you give back Baylor).

But yes, at least that team would also beat good Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, and OU teams.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If you mean higher than Sweet 16 only once since the tournament went to 64 teams then just say that. Otherwise, don't take away ISU's only Final Four appearance (so far).

I think your point is still valid.

Agree. But not to mention wasn't the NIT the more prestigious tourney back then?

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
Agree. I wonder if Steve watched what HuggyBear did in the first three minutes of their game this week? WV came out soft on the press, they called a TO and ALL FIVE starters were benched. Could you ever imagine Prohm doing this?
Thank you! I can't stand watching Huggy, I hate the way he talks to his players. .....however he didn't go from bottom of the conference to rated team in one year just by talent on the floor. He COACHES

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Yep, I agree. Obviously, not thrilled with this years outcomes. But I feel for Prohm in that he is trying to maintain our best decade ever, under different circumstances(G-League guys can make some serious money and transfer market is not as fertile as it was) and he doesn't really have any goodwill to fall back on as he tries to navigate now.
It sure is too bad that the g league and transfer market is only affecting ISU and that these aren't issues every team in the country has to deal with..........

I mean, I get the point you are trying to make, but the landscape has changed for everyone. If prohm can't adapt then he doesn't have a future.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It sure is too bad that the g league and transfer market is only affecting ISU and that these aren't issues every team in the country has to deal with..........

I mean, I get the point you are trying to make, but the landscape has changed for everyone. If prohm can't adapt then he doesn't have a future.

You are right that everybody has to deal with this new situation, but I would think it would be fair to say that Iowa State was disproportionally affected by them this one time. We had two guys (THT and LW) who projected well to the D-League right as that league was expanded and coming into its own as an option for guys at that tier.

Ten years ago, THT and LW would still be in cardinal and gold and probably killing it this year. Even just having one of them back would change this year much, assuming the spot for the other one still goes to Bolton to fill out the starting backcourt.

You are right we gotta learn to deal with the new reality with more aplomb than we have.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

You are correct. Everyone has to deal with this now. And I think this season is really showing how college basketball is being hit. Just look at Baylor, Dayton, SDSU, and FSU being Top 10 teams this year. The teams that have a higher collective of older players who have played together longer are doing quite well.

And I'd agree, if Prohm can't figure it out, he doesn't have a coaching future at Iowa State.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron