PODCAST: What if ISU ever won a national title? Watching a fan base eat itself alive

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I agree with your assessment, about all of the fanbase. The vocal minority seems to take a lot of air out of the room, and really makes it hard for posters who aren't as active to take part in the comments. It's no fun, being put down as a sunshine pumper or a doom and gloomer, depending on what day it is. Lots of commenters probably just shut up and move along to the next thing on their daily schedule.

We all need to respect others points of view. But sometimes those points of view are very toxic, and keep others from participating.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
These Cyclone fans need to be less Fanatical!
vauEUgn.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree with your assessment, about all of the fanbase. The vocal minority seems to take a lot of air out of the room, and really makes it hard for posters who aren't as active to take part in the comments. It's no fun, being put down as a sunshine pumper or a doom and gloomer, depending on what day it is. Lots of commenters probably just shut up and move along to the next thing on their daily schedule.

We all need to respect others points of view. But sometimes those points of view are very toxic, and keep others from participating.

Since when did sports get added to the "politics and religion" no-no list?

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If you are not making both sides angry then you probably aren't doing your job right Chris. But I think it's optimistic to think that Cyclone fans will be significantly (of course we are slightly better) different from the average fan. You aren't going to change human nature.

People are people, so why should it be
You and I shouldn't get along
You should hate me
You should hate me

You're punching, kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
Just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

https://www.metrolyrics.com/people-are-people-lyrics-a-perfect-circle.html

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
If you are not making both sides angry then you probably aren't doing your job right Chris. But I think it's optimistic to think that Cyclone fans will be significantly (of course we are slightly better) different from the average fan. You aren't going to change human nature.

You should hate me
You should hate me

You're punching, kicking
But I'm sure it exists

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

I agree with the sentiment of this post but I love the Cyclone Nation like family. I hate watching the cannibalization. While you are probably right, I think it is just as unhealthy to sit back and allow hate from within.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Just started listening so no takes yet. @ChrisMWilliams the KC QB you were looking for was Matt Cassell though, unless there's another ex Patriots backup who went to KC and sucked I'm forgetting. Wanted to make a Jimmy G joke here but I'm too tired to think

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
There is also something about Twitter that just brings out this type of emotion. I have never had a Twitter account so I miss a lot of what happens there but still seems pretty clear.

I think the combination of limiting the message to very short bits and also being a very direct and personal medium has shown itself to be a dangerous combination. Sure there can be positive emotional events and its great when it happens. But having short (ie prone to emotions and no room for discussion or sarcasm ) and very direct message to anyone you want in the world is proving to be problematic. No one likes a confrontation and it triggers the fight or flight response, and clearly you aren't going to choose running away from a silly computer. Kinda just turns into a large fight, or really mob mentality. I don't know, just something for someone to consider writing a future psychology thesis.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree with the sentiment of this post but I love the Cyclone Nation like family. I hate watching the cannibalization. While you are probably right, I think it is just as unhealthy to sit back and allow hate from within.

Can't wait to hear what was actually said on this podcast! May need to listen during down times at our local caucus tonight.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

You should hate me
You should hate me

You're punching, kicking
But I'm sure it exists

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

Disliking since you didn’t give credit to Depeche Mode for the song.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Read the first reply to this thread and think about how that relates to your number of posts versus mine.

Also, you posted that a part of you hopes Haliburton (who is still a teenager) struggles just enough to hurt his draft stock to where he comes back next year. I don't know how someone could actually post that. He's a great kid, I hope he's a lottery pick and makes a **** ton of money.

It's my position that the grown man earning a 7 figure salary should bear the brunt of the responsibility for our current 9-12 record. It drives me nuts when I see people bagging on the players toughness and effort (I'm not saying you've done this).

Much of the criticism being directed at the men's basketball coach is warranted. And pointing that out in a reasoned manner, doesn't make a fan "toxic" or "not a real fan". It's possible to be a fan and fully support the team, while being objective.

There are some on both sides who take it too far. Too often I've seen you belittle and diminish warranted criticism of the coach (e.g., you hated Prohm from the start b/c he's not Fred). Or make ridiculous (such as the most recent one I poked fun at you for) or uninformed posts (not noticing Prohm's timeout usages over 4+ seasons).

There's an alternative to blind optimism and curmudgeon pessimism --- realism. I think it's inarguable that Prohm has some things he needs to get better at. I'm sure I'll get hammered for this post but so be it.

Reactions: CloneFan4

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Read the first reply to this thread and think about how that relates to your number of posts versus mine.

Also, you posted that a part of you hopes Haliburton (who is still a teenager) struggles just enough to hurt his draft stock to where he comes back next year. I don't know how someone could actually post that. He's a great kid, I hope he's a lottery pick and makes a **** ton of money.

It's my position that the grown man earning a 7 figure salary should bear the brunt of the responsibility for our current 9-12 record. It drives me nuts when I see people bagging on the players toughness and effort (I'm not saying you've done this).

Much of the criticism being directed at the men's basketball coach is warranted. And pointing that out in a reasoned manner, doesn't make a fan "toxic" or "not a real fan". It's possible to be a fan and fully support the team, while being objective.

There are some on both sides who take it too far. Too often I've seen you belittle and diminish warranted criticism of the coach (e.g., you hated Prohm from the start b/c he's not Fred). Or make ridiculous (such as the most recent one I poked fun at you for) or uninformed posts (not noticing Prohm's timeout usages over 4+ seasons).

There's an alternative to blind optimism and curmudgeon pessimism --- realism. I think it's inarguable that Prohm has some things he needs to get better at. I'm sure I'll get hammered for this post but so be it.

If you can't figure out by now that makes you "toxic" is your continuing to go after me over a month later for what you wrote (and what I put in bold) above, then you still have absolutely no clue about why you and your behavior are the issue.

• Useful

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
If you can't figure out by now that makes you "toxic" is your continuing to go after me over a month later for what you wrote (and what I put in bold) above, then you still have absolutely no clue about why you and your behavior are the issue.
Sigh...take care pal.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't use Facebook, twitter, snapchat, et al. My life is much better without it. I know you're in media so you don't get the choice, but I would suggest getting rid of your screen time after such and such hours a day.

• Winner

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I finally was able to listen to this podcast. Really good stuff. Thanks @ChrisMWilliams for being so transparent and helping us to remain good fans. It seems that we need to be doing a lot to help each other, particularly on this site.

One of the most undervalued aspects of this site is the "real people" associated with it. I'm not talking about the public personalities who write articles and do podcasts. I'm talking about the posters who are really great people. It has been my pleasure to meet a lot of them personally. Some are exactly the same in person as they are on the site. Others, including some who can be pretty cantankerous on the site, are much more pleasant and well-rounded in person.

I would encourage fans to respond to each other as if you are talking to real people. Many of us only show parts of our personalities or values when we post, but it probably doesn't represent who we really are. Treating posts as expressions from real people, not just random thoughts from anonymous posters, may help.

Also, I think it would be great for CF to post its mantra prominently on the site: "We aren't Cyclone fans because it is easy, we are Cyclone fans because it is awesome!"