Home Builders in the Des Moines Metro

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a new build in Ankeny this summer. Does anyone have experiences (good, bad, or otherwise) with home building companies in the Des Moines Metro?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I have a Jerry's/Adam Grubb house. Its a B/B+ (bought used, high quality for starter home in western suburbs).

My uncle used Sage Homes on a $350K house in Ankeny. I'd say that is B+/A-. A lot of his issues with the house come from the $hit work done by a plumbing subcontractor.

The goal is to live in a former home builders house. About the only home they don't cut corners on or get lazy watching sub contractors

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I've been following Dreamscape Homebuilders on social media and they build some awesome looking homes. I have no firsthand experience with them, though. I'd be curious to hear from anyone here that has used them. I assume their prices will most likely be outside of our comfort zone.

Last edited:

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I have a Jerry's/Adam Grubb house. Its a B/B+ (bought used, high quality for starter home in western suburbs).

My uncle used Sage Homes on a $350K house in Ankeny. I'd say that is B+/A-. A lot of his issues with the house come from the $hit work done by a plumbing subcontractor.

The goal is to live in a former home builders house. About the only home they don't cut corners on or get lazy watching sub contractors

Never heard of Sage, we have looked at few of Jerrys and like them. Our big thing is the ranches everyone is putting out now don't have a space that can be used as an office so we are looking most likely at a 2 story.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

We have a Stephen Grubb house (its on the tyvek) and I would agree on the B/B+.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Chip and Joanna Gaines are in Ames right now. Maybe look them up.

GHXVHne.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CyCrazy

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Never heard of Sage, we have looked at few of Jerrys and like them. Our big thing is the ranches everyone is putting out now don't have a space that can be used as an office so we are looking most likely at a 2 story.

They made the first bedroom on the right smaller for office use. That allowed for a bigger hall bath and bigger living room. So only 2 beds on the main and 1 downstairs

Floor-plan: https://www.sagehomesiowa.com/the-cypress

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Most builders pull from the same relatively small pool of subs in each trade. A crew can frame a $200,000 starter home one month and a $600,000 home the next. That’s the problem and you need a home builder who will work with you and not get pissy when you identify problems. A builder who doesn’t just disappear after the warranty is up.

• Agree
Reactions: PlanoClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron