How does Javon Johnson look?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
nixon plays a lot. Doesn’t mean he’s good

I guess im a little jaded on practice reports on transfers after hearing Beverly would be potential conf newcomer of the year.
That baseline mid-range was all conference.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just thinking through next season, *if* we are to be successful --

Bolton and Conditt need to be all-conference level guys.

Solomon needs to be probably something like HM -- consistently the energetic tough guy we have seen the past few games, only like that every night.

Johnson needs to be starter-quality. Having something close to starter-quality play out of Griffin and/or Lewis would help quite a bit, as well.

Jackson needs to consistently be a solid 3&D guy. He has shown flashes and even put together good games, but he is so inconsistent right now.

You need 2-3 of the incoming freshman and/or transfers to be viable rotation guys.

They need to learn how to play defense and especially how to defend the three-point line. We mostly complain about offense on here, but the offense has been fine, though they will have to learn how to continue that without Halibuton around to do everything for them. Watching teams shoot way above their season average from three-point land on us is getting rather old, though. If they can tighten up on defense and stop outside shooting from killing us, then we go from NIT hopeful to maybe on the bubble.

The above team is not winning the Big 12, but maybe it fights into the ground between the elite teams and the mediocre ones and makes the tournament.

Agreed.

I'll add that a leader also needs to emerge out of that group. Solo, Conditt or Lewis would be the three returning upperclassmen that would be the preferred options, but I'm having a hard time being optimistic about one of them filing that role. Solo would need to be more vocal, which doesn't seem like it fits his personality. Conditt needs to be more consistent to have his voice hold the proper weight. He also needs to be a little more composed when things aren't going his way.

Lewis would be in the best position to do it since it seems like he has that fire in there, but we are still waiting to see the switch come on for him and stay on. I really feel like he could end his career on a big upswing, but it comes down to production. I'm really pulling for him. The talent is there.

It's possible that Bolton will step into the role once Haliburton leaves. It looks like he'll be our leading returning scorer. I haven't paid too much attention to how vocal he is during games.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I understand Nixon isn't an offensive threat but his defense is as advertised. So I am not going to hate on him.
Unfortunately, I think his D has been a huge disappointment too - he is effective at drawing a few charges a game, I'll give that, but Jackson is the only guard who plays good on-the-ball D; Grill is improving and will get there by next year. I'm not dogging CSP with this - I'm still a fan; gotta improve quite a bit for next year - but Nixon has been a huge disappointment, and, in retrospect, a big mistake for this to be the result of a one-year sit-out. They can't all be Shayoks - few will be - but a one-year sit-out needs to be much better.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I understand Nixon isn't an offensive threat but his defense is as advertised. So I am not going to hate on him.

He gets a lot of hate, but he's definitely had good moments. IMO, I think he presses too hard early in games. I feel like his shooting gets better as he gets into the game more. I'd like to see him facilitate more offensively or at least get into the lane earlier.

In reality, if we are shooting better as a team or play better team defense, Nixon doesn't get singled out like he's been. He was hyped up a little too much before he came here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Unfortunately, I think his D has been a huge disappointment too - he is effective at drawing a few charges a game, I'll give that, but Jackson is the only guard who plays good on-the-ball D; Grill is improving and will get there by next year. I'm not dogging CSP with this - I'm still a fan; gotta improve quite a bit for next year - but Nixon has been a huge disappointment, and, in retrospect, a big mistake for this to be the result of a one-year sit-out. They can't all be Shayoks - few will be - but a one-year sit-out needs to be much better.

He gets a lot of hate, but he's definitely had good moments. IMO, I think he presses too hard early in games. I feel like his shooting gets better as he gets into the game more. I'd like to see him facilitate more offensively or at least get into the lane more early.

In reality, if we are shooting better as a team or play better team defense, Nixon doesn't get singled out like he's been. He was hyped up a little too much before he came here.

At this point I don't see the point of playing Nixon (or even Jacobson) much more.

Neither of them will be here next year and neither of them are demonstrably better than guys that will be and need to be good for us to be good next year.

I thank them both for their service, but there comes a point where you need to build for the future with Young, Conditt, Grill, and Jackson instead.

You might as well invest that experience and your coaching effort into them.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
He got the steal in the last seconds of the Auburn game that gave us any chance of making it really close. Props to him for that. Just don't want him shooting.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
nixon plays a lot. Doesn’t mean he’s good

I guess im a little jaded on practice reports on transfers after hearing Beverly would be potential conf newcomer of the year.

You need better practice informants if they ever thought Beverly was going to be a mediocre Big 12 player. Nixon is just a complete head scratcher. 2 sit one for an undersized high-volume, low efficiency combo guard. Very likely a great kid but hasn’t been a good fit .

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Just thinking through next season, *if* we are to be successful --

Bolton and Conditt need to be all-conference level guys.

Solomon needs to be probably something like HM -- consistently the energetic tough guy we have seen the past few games, only like that every night.

Johnson needs to be starter-quality. Having something close to starter-quality play out of Griffin and/or Lewis would help quite a bit, as well.

Jackson needs to consistently be a solid 3&D guy. He has shown flashes and even put together good games, but he is so inconsistent right now.

You need 2-3 of the incoming freshman and/or transfers to be viable rotation guys.

They need to learn how to play defense and especially how to defend the three-point line. We mostly complain about offense on here, but the offense has been fine, though they will have to learn how to continue that without Halibuton around to do everything for them. Watching teams shoot way above their season average from three-point land on us is getting rather old, though. If they can tighten up on defense and stop outside shooting from killing us, then we go from NIT hopeful to maybe on the bubble.

The above team is not winning the Big 12, but maybe it fights into the ground between the elite teams and the mediocre ones and makes the tournament.

They need a Top 5-10 grad transfer at a guard position. We are not quite in the position we were in 17-18 but this a fairly wide gulf between where we currently are and being in the NCAA tournament. Or Halliburton could just give it one more run.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It was on 247 and not going to go back and find it from 2 years ago but the person who posted even admitted they were way off base

same person does have 8-10 ppg projections for Johnson

Probably ****** beyerball.

• Funny
Reactions: Messi

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nixon's isn't great but his shortcomings are magnified by those around him. He's a role player but we've had teams in the past that he would have been a good fit. Starting with 2 other guys who are challenged offensively really puts pressure on him. I think the same can be said about MJ.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nixon's isn't great but his shortcomings are magnified by those around him. He's a role player but we've had teams in the past that he would have been a good fit. Starting with 2 other guys who are challenged offensively really puts pressure on him. I think the same can be said about MJ.

I'm not sure he would have grabbed much for minutes on any of our tournament teams.

I do agree with your general point, though -- he makes some sense as a bench role player as a defensive stopper, but trying to be a starter in the Big 12 is pushing it.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Success next year will depend on an influx of new talent (Javon, Freshmen, grad transfer). Returning guys have too big of a gap to close.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
It's not my job to determine that.

Do I like some of the shots he takes? No.

But I do like his drawing charges.

It's not my job to determine if you are an objective poster on this site. But you have zero objectivity. Anybody with eye balls can see that Nixon has been a terrible addition. The optics of it were bad before he even played a game but too many were immersed in the possibility that a bad shooter could suddenly become a good one because he was coming to Ames.

Merrill Holden had a few rebounds and some points. Did you like those a lot too? Looking forward to a paint brush rating.