Okie St Dual

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Those are all solid guys, no doubt. The point is, if you want to hype up his win over Assad, you have to also mention the losses to the guys that are much worse than Assad. If you want to judge where he’s at you have to take it all into consideration. He has one win over a top 10 guy, and 3 losses to guys that are not top 20.

I’m high on Broderson, but you’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you judge his season solely off the one win over Assad.

I agree with your point. However, as was mentioned, he has losses to Gray (#1 ranked in DII), #9 ranked Bonaccorsi, ranked Montalvo, and #1 recruit at 182 last year in Keckeisen. A nice win over #7 Assad. A pretty decent start to his career.

I'm not anointing him as an AA next year as he will have to continue to put in the work, live the lifestyle, and prove it on the mat next year. That said, I'm glad he's a Cyclone!

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Really dissappointed with the result yesterday, not really much to add but we looked flat with exception of 125, 141, 157 and Hwt.

What did you all think of Dressers post match interview?

I'm not really a fan of Dresser calling those guys out publicly. I get that Dresser is frustrated, and what he is saying might be true. I just don't think it is productive, it reminds me of the KJ days when he would always throw guys under the bus. Even if what he is saying is true, if you're one of those guys, does that really motivate you to do better? If you're a recruit, do you want to come wrestle for that guy? I don't think the answer to either is yes.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Really dissappointed with the result yesterday, not really much to add but we looked flat with exception of 125, 141, 157 and Hwt.

I'm not really a fan of Dresser calling those guys out publicly. I get that Dresser is frustrated, and what he is saying might be true. I just don't think it is productive, it reminds me of the KJ days when he would always throw guys under the bus. It is not a good look.

I'm fine with Dresser calling them out. Keep in mind that Dresser is also telling us what he's going to do differently..."micro managing" weight control, workouts, etc.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Please list those "some losses that weren’t so great"? I'll help you...UNI freshman that I believe has only one loss this season (close one to Assad), Bonaccorsi (Ranked 9th) and Montalvo (OSU). I agree the first two were not very competitive but to call any of them bad losses is a stretch.

I didn’t say anything about his losses that was crablegs

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I'm not really a fan of Dresser calling those guys out publicly. I get that Dresser is frustrated, and what he is saying might be true. I just don't think it is productive, it reminds me of the KJ days when he would always throw guys under the bus. Even if what he is saying is true, if you're one of those guys, does that really motivate you to do better? If you're a recruit, do you want to come wrestle for that guy? I don't think the answer to either is yes.

I’m sure he has tried to get through to them privately and that has failed.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
We should see Degen on Friday. Good dual to come back to after almost 2 months, I'm sure he'll be a bit rusty. One thing about him, never have to worry about weight issues.

Reactions: jkbuff98 and condor

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I’m sure he has tried to get through to them privately and that has failed.
This was my thought after he made the comment of "letting them do it their own way". Its a touchy move but when they wont listen, you have to go about motivating them in other ways. I dont think what he said was all that bad but some people see it as such.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I agree Dressers comments were a bit bold. However, he’s been the national coach of the year, he’s been at this a long time, he’s in room with them and knows things we don’t and so many of these kids have so much potential that it’s a shame if it doesn’t get tapped into. It beats the coach speak or the “we just didn’t have it today” bs lines. He shoots it straight and you can’t ever fault him for not telling you what he thinks.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Do you really think a guy with personal issues decided to go down 10 lbs in weight isn't dedicated to the sport and isn't trying? That doesn't wash.

Frustrating times, to be sure. I still believe we have a good coach and hired the right guy but the fact of the matter is that recruiting has just not been up to snuff to get where we want to go. As I have said a few times, I think we will see him re-evaluate the coaching staff in the near future. Good guys but effectiveness is in question.

And Land Grant...please.

I think you meant Land Shark, not Land Grant. I've not posted for months, and don't see now as a good time to break that pattern.

• Funny
Reactions: stuclone and buf87

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If you can't understand the difference between me telling people to spend their time and money elsewhere if they dont want to support the team and other people being negative about the entire athletic department and telling people we need major changes, then I dont know what to tell you.

Life is too short to spend energy being negative.
Good grief - he's just giving his opinion - just as you and I can give ours.
Life is too short to waste your time trying to be a message board control freak...

Reactions: Sturge34

cywr89

May 14, 2009

I hope no recruit comes here thinking they can cut corners and not buy in. Buying in to be a decent wrestler vs being a National Champ is different and not everyone is willing to do it. Dresser is here to coach National Champions and AA not good wrestlers. Those are the type of recruits we need.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He didnt look all that gaunt to me but Colbray just didnt have the fire in the belly that he should have ....Get FIRED UP man.....
When they got into a little shoving match at the edge of the mat and both wrestlers appeared to get a little pissed, I turned to my old man and said man that might be just what Sammy needs.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
I liked what I heard from Dresser post match. I have coached enough to know that every kid has a different motivational point. And a coach also needs to be able to address the team as a group. He sees more in that room than we do, and I trust that he is working one of many angles. I was coached (albeit not in college) by a coach that was trying to reach me personally. It was not until he called me out semi-publicly that he got through to me. Coaches need to take some of this on them selves, and it looks like they are. Wrestlers need to take it the rest of the way. But win or lose, I am the Alabama Cyclone.

Help Support Us

Become a patron