Okie St Dual

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Yes, but he’s also had some losses that weren’t so great. I wouldn’t peg your hopes on him being a high AA next year. But, he may be better than our current option. I’d expect some ups and downs from him.

I’m not saying anything about a true freshman, Lots of development happens in that year. If he shows heart and willingness to grind and get better then I will be happy.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Wonder if Colbray has personal issues going on. If so, take a break from wrestling and have him work it out and support him. If not, he needs to consider quitting the team if he is not going to bring it. No fire at all.

Do you really think a guy with personal issues decided to go down 10 lbs in weight isn't dedicated to the sport and isn't trying? That doesn't wash.

Frustrating times, to be sure. I still believe we have a good coach and hired the right guy but the fact of the matter is that recruiting has just not been up to snuff to get where we want to go. As I have said a few times, I think we will see him re-evaluate the coaching staff in the near future. Good guys but effectiveness is in question.

And Land Grant...please.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
I enjoy reading everyone's messages whether I agree or disagree. It was a disappointing day but all we can do is support our coaches and wrestlers and move on to the next day. We have a proven Coach that I believe was National Coach of the Year last year. It takes time, last years improvement was noticeable. This year we have taken a step back so far but there's plenty of time left to prove we're still getting better. Parker and Carr were good yesterday. Gremmel has improved. The loss of Gomez and Degan changes the lineup. Hopefully Degan gets back soon. Small lost a match yesterday he shouldn't have, it happens he'll learn from it he's better than Wittcraft. As will the others that weren't at their best yesterday. Go put it on Fresno State.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Leisure is not. I don’t think Coleman is either
The Gomez/Coleman/Leisure class I put about 1/2 on Dresser. They could have walked like Veerkleen, Smith, Allar,etc, but Dresser was able to talk them into staying and somewhat salvage that recruiting class.

That said, the real issue is that there is no one behind that appears ready to challenge them or step up when they move on.

bthomps01

Dec 7, 2006
DEEP breathe - it's going to get better. There was and remains a significant hole to dig out of. Culture doesn't change in a year or two...

Recruiting - We have no idea the levels of scholarship debt/mismanagement. This is going to take more time.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Like what you just did?

If you can't understand the difference between me telling people to spend their time and money elsewhere if they dont want to support the team and other people being negative about the entire athletic department and telling people we need major changes, then I dont know what to tell you.

Life is too short to spend energy being negative.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
After the effort yesterday, I am not going to say anything negative about Ian Parker , David Carr, Gannon Gremmel or even Alex Mackall.

Even Todd Small gave pretty good effort; just played 100% into Witcraft's wheelhouse and he should of known that.
Every time I watch Ian wrestle, I like him more and more. The guy just gets it done.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
After the effort yesterday, I am not going to say anything negative about Ian Parker , David Carr, Gannon Gremmel or even Alex Mackall.

Even Todd Small gave pretty good effort; just played 100% into Witcraft's wheelhouse and he should of known that.

My biggest frustration with Mackall was giving up the major in the last 10 seconds. Picc was in deep and already up by a few, just give up the takedown and save the team a point (granted, at the end of the day that point meant nothing. But at the time it was frustrating)

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
My biggest frustration with Mackall was giving up the major in the last 10 seconds. Picc was in deep and already up by a few, just give up the takedown and save the team a point (granted, at the end of the day that point meant nothing. But at the time it was frustrating)

This year it seems worse than ever, but some of the guys' situational awareness has been really bad. Giving up take downs/escapes in the last 5-10 seconds of periords; Giving up two with two back to give up a major; etc. Its baffling.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

I agree with that. But Mackall is always fighting for 7 minutes. I will take his effort and forgive some issues that I hope can be fixed. I talked to Alex at the social and that tilt is something he knows is an issue and he is working on. He did not look happy with the result and I respect that.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I agree with that. But Mackall is always fighting for 7 minutes. I will take his effort and forgive some issues that I hope can be fixed. I talked to Alex at the social and that tilt is something he knows is an issue and he is working on. He did not look happy with the result and I respect that.
How was the teams mood there? We didn't make it as we had other stuff we needed to get in town before heading back to the frozen tundra

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
How was the teams mood there? We didn't make it as we had other stuff we needed to get in town before heading back to the frozen tundra

terrible.

Was not a good time to have an autograph signing day. Nobody wanted to be there, coaches included.

Lucky I could get a beer to drink.

• Agree
Reactions: mdk2isu

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Yes, but he’s also had some losses that weren’t so great. I wouldn’t peg your hopes on him being a high AA next year..
Please list those "some losses that weren’t so great"? I'll help you...UNI freshman that I believe has only one loss this season (close one to Assad), Bonaccorsi (Ranked 9th) and Montalvo (OSU). I agree the first two were not very competitive but to call any of them bad losses is a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Please list those "some losses that weren’t so great"? I'll help you...UNI freshman that I believe has only one loss this season (close one to Assad), Bonaccorsi (Ranked 9th) and Montalvo (OSU). I agree the first two were not very competitive but to call any of them bad losses is a stretch.

4 losses are Keckeisen (UNI, 12-1), Heath Gray (Ranked #1 in DII at 184), Montalvo (Ok St at #22 at 184) and Bonaccorsi (#8 at 184). Using Intermat on Gray and Flo on D1 ranking

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Deep thoughts to self..."things are never as bad as they seam (after disappointment) nor as good (after victory)."

I'm not jumping ship and I'm going to look for our team and coaches to finish strong. Gomez & Degen are huge setbacks for a team with very little room for error in the first place.

With that said, I make no excuses and congrats to OSU for dominating. Congrats to UNI for showing effort, fight and taking OSU to the woodshed.

Here's my breakdown:
125 - Mackall - Very disappointed. I know he was going against #4 ranked Picc who is very good but he should NOT have given up the major. Someone stated that he was majored last year. Honestly, I'm watching that match thinking to myself that he can compete with Picc on his feet. I thought IF he would have been more aggressive he could have gotten some TD's. IIRC there were only two committed TD attempts by AM and one of them was very close to scoring. Then to give up those late points for a major... That's why I'm so disappointed. I think he's one that Dresser is calling out.

133 - Very disappointed. Todd and the team needed to win that match and it should have been a W and a 6 point swing in the dual. Dresser has called him out for his weight control and I'm glad to know this. Weight management is one thing he can control and improve upon. I do like Todd's offensiveness and aggression. It's not a horrible loss, but could have been a great win... I like Todd's effort but he needs to wrestle smarter at times and he did gas in the end. I'd much rather watch him wrestle than guys that just stand around and block off.

141 - Parker - Slightly disappointed. Yes, I know he dominated, yet I was also upset that he didn't at least try to play catch and release in the 3rd period. That's on both coaches and Ian as a leader. Should have been a bright spot but turned into a letdown and kept the momentum with OSU. I think he could have tried to ride him the first minute and if you don't get any backs, then let him go and destroy him on his feet in the last minute... What am I missing here? Ian looks like one of our best right now but we needed all of the momentum we could get at that moment in the dual and I felt he should have picked up at least a major.

149 - Great job! Ryan is our backup 141 wrestling up. Great effort IMO to a top guy. It looked like a Tech Fall but Ryan continued to fight and slowed the scoring down. We need Degen but no-body can control injury. Keep up the effort Ryan! I hope we see Degen back and healthy soon. (although I'm not optimistic...shoulder injuries are horrible in wrestling)

157 - Bright spot: Carr wrestled like I wanted to see out of Parker. He's on another level on his feet. He takes em down, then let's em up, looking to build his lead. He still made some freshmen mistakes (locked hands, giving up points at very end of period). His future is very bright and he can continue to improve. Great Job David!

165 - Good job Chase. Yes, I know he got beat (by #13 ranked guy). He's a really good 157 guy who wrestles a power style. He doesn't have as much power as a undersized 165. I've read and heard some people in the stands criticize him but he always shows fight. I think most would have predicted that this was going to be a tough year for Straw at the beginning of the year. Heck, I personally thought he might have been beaten out by one of the younger guys. Maybe he can continue to get stronger the second half of the season. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

174/184 - Very Disappointing: The weight swap experiment doesn't appear to be working (so far). From Dressers comments, I'd guess that Colbray will be micro managed from here on out and maybe he will be able to find his offense. As far as Coleman goes...He must be awesome in the room but I've yet to see it in a big dual. I hope he can live up the the praise that he has been given by the coaches at times this year.

197 - Good effort against #8 ranked guy. I know he lost by a major but I'd much rather watch that type of effort compared to 174/184. IMO the difference between Duggan and Shapiro is negligible. Both guys need to take a huge step forward. I'm not writing either of them off. Francis had a good takedown early and showed good aggression. I remember how bad guys like Chris Bono, Mike Moreno and others performed in their first seasons as a starter. I'm always optimistic that they can take similar big jumps.

Hwt - Bright spot: Gannon took care of business against a guy that he should have beat. He's also improved this year and I think he can be a AA contender by the end of the year. I'd say the same about Mackall.

Personal Rant: Sometimes I find it funny how some posters say that "so and so looked great and another guy sucked" when the first guy was a clear favorite against a sub par wrestler and the second guy is going against a top ranked guy.

Again, this team doesn't have much room for error. I do believe they have the guys to beat OSU and everyone else in the Big 12. Time for me to turn the page...

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Those are all solid guys, no doubt. The point is, if you want to hype up his win over Assad, you have to also mention the losses to the guys that are much worse than Assad. If you want to judge where he’s at you have to take it all into consideration. He has one win over a top 10 guy, and 3 losses to guys that are not top 20.

I’m high on Broderson, but you’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you judge his season solely off the one win over Assad.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron