NFL: Eli Manning Retires

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28540028/eli-manning-retires-16-nfl-seasons

Hall of Famer?

The case for: Two time Super Bowl winner and MVP, author of arguably the most iconic play in SB history, seventh all time in passing yards and TDs. The only other HOF eligible quarterback who has won two Super Bowls and not made it is Jim Plunkett.

Case against: 117-117 regular season record as a starting QB. Led the NFL in interceptions three(!) times. Finished in passer rating top ten once.

I think he'll get in, just maybe not on his first year of eligibility. But who knows? That last name carries a lot of weight, and maybe that puts him in right away once he's eligible. Should be an interesting debate for the voters.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28540028/eli-manning-retires-16-nfl-seasons

Hall of Famer?

The case for: Two time Super Bowl winner and MVP, author of arguably the most iconic play in SB history, seventh all time in passing yards and TDs. The only other HOF eligible quarterback who has won two Super Bowls and not made it is Jim Plunkett.

Case against: 117-117 regular season record as a starting QB. Led the NFL in interceptions three(!) times. Finished in passer rating top ten once.

I think he'll get in, just maybe not on his first year of eligibility. But who knows? That last name carries a lot of weight, and maybe that puts him in right away once he's eligible. Should be an interesting debate for the voters.

Probably not first ballot, but no doubt a Hall of Famer. Your case for says it all: 2 Super Bowl with 2 MVP's. Both Super Bowls against the dynasty of the era including a Patriots team coming into a Super Bowl undefeated.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and GTO

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Eli is a real outlier.....he managed to win two Super Bowls (and 2 Super Bowl MVPs), and yet his career is littered with disappointments and (arguably) substandard play. I'd argue that the top 10 QB categories are littered with present day players, owing to the longer season and heavier reliance on the passing game.

My opinion? I don't see him as a Hall of Famer. But he'll always be able to one-up his older brother.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Definitely a Hall of Famer. You need some sort of Fame moment and stopping the 2007-2008 Patriots from going undefeated in Super Bowl XLII is that moment.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Eli is a real outlier.....he managed to win two Super Bowls (and 2 Super Bowl MVPs), and yet his career is littered with disappointments and (arguably) substandard play. I'd argue that the top 10 QB categories are littered with present day players, owing to the longer season and heavier reliance on the passing game.

My opinion? I don't see him as a Hall of Famer. But he'll always be able to one-up his older brother.

You make a good point about the passing categories. What's the HOF going to do with guys like Stafford, Rivers and Matt Ryan when their careers are up? Great stats but not one ring among them.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I honestly don't think he is. In this era of inflated stats, he just doesn't compete. Yes, he won 2 Super Bowls, but would you have said Phil Simms is a HoF if he doesn't get hurt and won his second instead of Jeff Hostetler?

I don't think either Phil nor Eli belong.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I honestly don't think he is. In this era of inflated stats, he just doesn't compete. Yes, he won 2 Super Bowls, but would you have said Phil Simms is a HoF if he doesn't get hurt and won his second instead of Jeff Hostetler?

I don't think either Phil nor Eli belong.

That's fair. There's a whole lot of ugly sandwiched around those SB wins. But it also feels like there's a precedent to follow for voters. Two SB wins automatically gets you in (unless you're Jim Plunkett). Factor in that plus the fact that he's football royalty and it all but guarantees he'll go in eventually. Just maybe not on the first year of eligibility.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's fair. There's a whole lot of ugly sandwiched around those SB wins. But it also feels like there's a precedent to follow for voters. Two SB wins automatically gets you in (unless you're Jim Plunkett). Factor in that plus the fact that he's football royalty and it all but guarantees he'll go in eventually. Just maybe not on the first year of eligibility.
And there are good reasons for Plunkett. He had more INTs than TDs in 9 of his 15 years in the league and he had just as many in 2 of the remaining years.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
He will go into the Hall of fame, but he doesn’t belong. He played in a big market, was part of a big football family, and had outstanding defenses and extreme luck (helmet catch). The last few years people have been calling for him to retire even though he is the same QB he’s always been. His stats prove it. The difference now is he doesn’t have an outstanding defense to carry the team and he’s been exposed.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He's not a first ballot guy but he should be in, he was never in a league with Peyton or Brady but there are guys in the HOF that you can say that about. When these questions get asked, its always interesting to think about how a guy like Eli would be perceived had he not played at the same time as guys like his bro, Brady, Drew Breese and Rodgers.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He's not a first ballot guy but he should be in, he was never in a league with Peyton or Brady but there are guys in the HOF that you can say that about. When these questions get asked, its always interesting to think about how a guy like Eli would be perceived had he not played at the same time as guys like his bro, Brady, Drew Breese and Rodgers.
Like if he played at a time where QBs weren't untouchable, DBs could body up receivers and the running game ruled?

• Funny
Reactions: heitclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
QB stats are so easy to twist to serve your agenda. "He put up great numbers, but they never ran the ball" or "He padded his stats in garbage time". Conversely, "He never put up big numbers because of the scheme he was in" or "He was asked to be a game manager who took care of the ball and let his defense win the game."

I have a hard time arguing the Super Bowl wins and MVPs, but I have an equally hard time putting Eli in the Hall of Fame. I've just never considered him to be on of the top five quarterbacks in any given year (maybe 2011 based on passing stats) of his career. If someone is consistently out-performed by his peers, does he deserve to be in the Hall due to longevity?

I have no problem with people thinking he should be in there. I just wonder if you were to ask coaches during Eli's career, "If you could pick your top 5 QBs to run your team, who would you pick", would Eli make many lists?

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
He will get in, but he was never a great QB. I would say for most of his career he was average. He made one great throw, and made an incredibly lucky play in 07. That's it, that's his career in a nutshell, but if someone like Joe Namath can be a hall of famer, Eli will too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Love the debate. I think he's going to be a really interesting case for the voters when he comes up in five years.

Agreed. Like you said, Rivers, Stafford and Ryan will likely have similar debates when their time comes. Increased focus on passing plus QB longevity are skewing numbers to make it more challenging.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It would be a lot tougher for voters if his name was, I don't know, Eli Flacco. It'd be easier to write off or discount a couple postseason hot streaks. But that Manning name is going to be really difficult to ignore.